• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

electric coolers

giroux68

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
anyone have experience with an electric cooler? thinking about one for the boat and rv.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have one but have not used it yet. It would require that I add a 12v port to the head compartment or that I run an extension to the compartment and it barely fit in the head compartment/
takes up a lot of room in it.

John Mcpartland

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There not that great. I bought one that i was going to use on trips for the kids and it didn't work as i had hoped. I found out after I bought it that it only cools to about 10 degrees below the outside temp. I am getting an rtic sof cooler which are the same as the yeti but 1/2 the price

Scott E

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Reviews of the Engle fridge/freezers seem good. Have been thinking about getting on for the wife's suv.

druppert

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There not that great. I bought one that i was going to use on trips for the kids and it didn't work as i had hoped. I found out after I bought it that it only cools to about 10 degrees below the outside temp. I am getting an rtic sof cooler which are the same as the yeti but 1/2 the price
RTIC soft pack is awesome for a couple of people on a day trip. I have the 30 can version. The ice will last at least 24 hours in any condition & I usually leave it onboard overnight so I have an ice cold water when I wash the boat the next morning. I have ordered the 20qt hard one but it's backordered. It was supposed to ship by 6/30 but now it's been delayed until September. They did offer an additional 20% off if I was willing to wait... which I am!

John Mcpartland

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
RTIC soft pack is awesome for a couple of people on a day trip. I have the 30 can version. The ice will last at least 24 hours in any condition & I usually leave it onboard overnight so I have an ice cold water when I wash the boat the next morning. I have ordered the 20qt hard one but it's backordered. It was supposed to ship by 6/30 but now it's been delayed until September. They did offer an additional 20% off if I was willing to wait... which I am!
Good to hear. I wanted to get 2, 1 for drinks and 1 for food, unfortunately they quit making the soft bag type because of a lawsuit with yeti. I have to get the hard side soft coolers. Oh well!

druppert

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good to hear. I wanted to get 2, 1 for drinks and 1 for food, unfortunately they quit making the soft bag type because of a lawsuit with yeti. I have to get the hard side soft coolers. Oh well!
True but they started making them again, allegedly with a redesign. I got mine this spring. Check the site again. Well wirth the wait. It's actually improved from the old version IMO. The catch with RTIC is that you have to wait a while as they seem to secure large pre-orders before a production run as opposed to carrying the inventory. Great idea on 2 though. I would love to carry 2 but I'm limited on convenient space on the 19'

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Reviving an old thread... In looking at some of these electric refrigerator/freezer combos it says they will go to 3 degrees. The dometic and a few others run low power compressers to keep the temp down.. I would love to have one to use on the boat but DANG they r expensive! I been search for someone selling a small used one but only found the 1000 dollars monsters.. And very few of them. Either they r not popular or people love them and never sell them..

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Compressor models are not cheap. The cheap electric coolers employ fan cooled peltier devices which are terrible for this application IMO. 12v compressors as a raw part are very pricey on thier own (I searched for one during my kegerator project). You could modify my kegerator design to chill a stainless or aluminum insert in a cooler. I tore apart a $90 top loading water cooler for the parts. The pricey part was the inverter but I went with a Cadillac model when a Ford would have done. The worst part was the time and effort installing all of it in the boat but in the case of a custom compressor cooled cooler it may be worth it if you don’t have space chewed up by ballast.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No ballast here.. . we were looking for a portable one that we could use when we travel as well... I am just surprised I can't find one used..

zelone

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Dometic drawer fridges are on ebay and amazon right now, or at least very recently, and the 20 liter version is under $350. Really cant beat that, compared to the 30 liter which seems to be well over 500 these days.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have a small one that I use in the car when going to/from the lake. For that purpose it works well as I travel up and back enough that it's nice to not have to deal with ice all the time.

We also have some friends who bought a 32qt electric cooler for their car and use it when they go to the lake. This however, wouldn't be a good solution on the boat and their cooler says it only cools 30 degrees less than the ambient temp. On a hot day in that closet, it could easily get to be 100+ and that's not enough cooling capacity for much of anything.

Mike Courterier

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have a Dometic CFX95DZW (https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-CFX95DZW-Electric-Powered-Freezer/dp/B07215RMJG) which replaced a Wynter FM-65G (https://www.amazon.com/Whynter-FM-65G-65-Quart-Portable-Refrigerator/dp/B002W8DM5I). The Wynter was left full of bait for two weeks without power after hurricane Irma and I could not get the smell out.

The Dometic dual zone is awesome, however I have not used it on the boat. I put an outlet in the covered bed of my pickup and use it to transport frozen fish and lobster from FL to MI. It is compressor driven and you can mix the zones between fridge and freezer. It cools to and maintains -8F whether on 110 or 12v power, regardless of the ambient temp.

I did not pay the price listed on Amazon, I think it was around $850 when I bought back in Jan.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a Dometic CFX95DZW (https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-CFX95DZW-Electric-Powered-Freezer/dp/B07215RMJG) which replaced a Wynter FM-65G (https://www.amazon.com/Whynter-FM-65G-65-Quart-Portable-Refrigerator/dp/B002W8DM5I). The Wynter was left full of bait for two weeks without power after hurricane Irma and I could not get the smell out.

The Dometic dual zone is awesome, however I have not used it on the boat. I put an outlet in the covered bed of my pickup and use it to transport frozen fish and lobster from FL to MI. It is compressor driven and you can mix the zones between fridge and freezer. It cools to and maintains -8F whether on 110 or 12v power, regardless of the ambient temp.

I did not pay the price listed on Amazon, I think it was around $850 when I bought back in Jan.
That thing is crazy... I don't need anything like that. But Could use a 40 or 35

Last edited: