• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Electrical help

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am installing a fuel/air separator today and I had ordered some red, marine/tinned wire for the connection. I forgot to buy black wire or enough wire to wire up the ground connection.

1)Do I need to get marine grade or can I use wire from a home store or auto store? Is this a real "shortcut" going with regular wire?
2) Is it important to solder? I bought some marine shrink tubing and I was thinking that I would just twist the wires and then use the shrink.
3) for the black/ground, can I just tap this into the ground/black of my rear running light? Other, better ideas that would be near the engine compartment where I am installing the filter/pump?

Thank you

1)Do I need to get marine grade or can I use wire from a home store or auto store? Is this a real "shortcut" going with regular wire?
No any wire with good insulation will do. You can go to a Lowe's, Home Depot, auto parts store, etc and buy the gauge and length of black wire you will need.
2) Is it important to solder? I bought some marine shrink tubing and I was thinking that I would just twist the wires and then use the shrink.
Just twisting the wire and heat shrink is not a good enough connection, over time the connect with fail. If you don't want to solder you can use some heat shrink crimp connectors.
$(KGrHqEOKoYE6e8E4GwIBOv-6BwuwQ~~60_57.JPG

3) for the black/ground, can I just tap this into the ground/black of my rear running light? Other, better ideas that would be near the engine compartment where I am installing the filter/pump?
I would run a dedicated ground over to the battery, I personally like to keep my circuits separated.

2x on the above, I like limited dedicated circuits. I recently purchased some of the heat shrink crimp connectors, then went over them with shrink sleeve as well. My application was a wet one.

I'm guessing this unit is tapped off an ignition source?. I mention this only to make sure the power feed is fused properly/somewhere.

yes, I am told to tie the power into one of my ignitions switches. I guess I have to have that switch on regardless of whether both or a single engine is running.

I have to check if the ignition is fused unless someone knows that on an LS2000

yes, I am told to tie the power into one of my ignitions switches. I guess I have to have that switch on regardless of whether both or a single engine is running.

I have to check if the ignition is fused unless someone knows that on an LS2000

If you don't mind my asking, what unit are you installing?

GroupK. I would buy gas from them if they sold it. Great service so far

Uh...any good quality insulated wire that is STRANDED will do. Do not use solid wire in a boat. Home wire is not suitable at all for a multitude of reasons. Use a good multi stranded copper wire with a good thick insulation.

I would be 99% confident in saying that the ignition switches are on a fuse / breaker. I can't imagine they would not be.

Ah, now I see why there is an electrical connection...I was scratching my head since my Racor's don't require any type of electrical connection.
I take it the pump pressure on your model is not sufficient to handle the separator alone?

Group K setup:

elec-sep%20(2).jpg

Yes, that is the groupk filter and it includes an electric pump. I installed it and I did not get the surprising results that I was hoping for. It still took a number of tries to start it.

I wonder if last years (October) gas would really make that much of a difference. I did treat it with Stabil storage. I guess my next plan is to fill up with new gas now that I have run the tank down to 1/2 way.

I had old gas in mine, I replaced the filters, and put manual primer bulbs in.. I was shocked!!! I pumped the primers till they were hard. Turned the key, cranked over about 4 times and fired up, both engines the same result. I would say if that was the first time you started it after installing the pumps and separators, there may have been air in the lines and pumps.

Back