• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Electricity shut off completely! No dash power no crank.

Lmeyers24

Reaction score
Boat Make
Polaris
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
NA
Hey I have a 2001 Polaris virage 700. I reconnected my battery cables before heading out on the water today. The power came on but after holding the bilge pump button for 3 or 4 seconds all of my electrical shut off. I checked my battery and it was low, so I recharged it. However after reconnecting it nothing came back on. Any ideas??

Could be a bad post in the battery. It doesn't happen often. the post for the batter will separate inside of the battery itself. For all appearances, it looks normal. You could try to maneuver the posts when connected to the electrical system and see if it works. if it does, you may be able to get a new battery under warranty. Or just try another battery to see if that works.

Could be a bad post in the battery. It doesn't happen often. the post for the batter will separate inside of the battery itself. For all appearances, it looks normal. You could try to maneuver the posts when connected to the electrical system and see if it works. if it does, you may be able to get a new battery under warranty. Or just try another battery to see if that works.

I just tried a new battery and nothing happened. Could it be a blown fuse? I have to be honest I'm new to this whole jet ski thing. I took the positive cable off every time I came home, as the dash stayed powered up otherwise. I know it was an amateur move now, but would that cause any fuses to blow potentially?

As a general rule in the future removing battery the ground cable first then the red positive.........positive can't spark if ground is off first......hooking up battery is just reverse positive first then negative last.......you should get a spark but it on the ground side protecting those electronics on the positive side.

As a general rule in the future removing battery the ground cable first then the red positive.........positive can't spark if ground is off first......hooking up battery is just reverse positive first then negative last.......you should get a spark but it on the ground side protecting those electronics on the positive side.
Right I got that now! It was just a stupid rookie move. Thanks for the info! Would there be any consequences to doing what I did that might result in me having no electrical power throughout the whole jet ski?

You bet it would, chopping and reconnecting power like that can send a spike to your electronics and either blow a fuse or fry sensitive internal circuitry. Check all your main fuses carefully.

All of the fuses look good. The kill switch on my CDI box was flipped. I reset it and the power comes on but as soon as I hit the bilge pump button it flips again. And I get one click from the solenoid when I hit the start button and that's it. I also noticed the positive cable gets hot.

pull the fuse to the bilge pump and then try to start again. Sounds like something is crossed or fried. This is very loose generic advice, i dont own a jet ski. But i would be trying to isolate things.

Edit: Check this out and see if it helps explain what you are experiencing, Also check all the Service bulletins for that ski and see if the issue has been addressed or acknowledged. https://www.justanswer.com/boat/7o372-2001-polaris-mirage-tx-dash-stayed-lit-drains.html Looks like a wire needs to be moved per PWC-00-05 for no restart issue as well.

Last edited:
Back