• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Emergency cutoff switch

rayg1022

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
how many of you connect the emergency cutoff cord to your body when using your jet boat?

white2kstang

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It’s now required by law in Texas above headway speed for any craft equipped. Debating the wireless MOB setup to use instead.

jsg73

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Always if I’m alone in the boat.
Almost never if there is someone else with me unless the water is really rough.

IvanRZB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Always if I’m alone in the boat.
Almost never if there is someone else with me unless the water is really rough.
Same, + life jacket in those same 2 situations.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Good question. I never do, but because of your post, I will start. A buddy of mine, fit like a marine, just had a stroke out of nowhere. Not on a boat thankfully, but that could be me any day. Thanks for the reminder!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I struggle because every time I decide to use it, the second or third time out it disengages accidentally and leaves me more unsafe that otherwise, so I decide that's a bad idea to use it until I reconsider again. I looked at the FELL MOB+ but there are few multi year reviews, and several reports of issues after 1-3 years,. I'm thinking a very long lanyard on my feet might be my next attempt.

Daren and Heather

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I only put it on before I'm going to go fast or WOT.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I have always used it. Yes, it is a PITA. Reason, a personal one, in 1986 an owner I knew of (neighbour) lost control of his boat about 1/2 mile down the river from me. It ran up onto the shore injuring several people and killing one. After the police were through with him the civilian court took over. His insurance would not cover the court award (I believe about $800K). He lost his house and his then wife left. Over the years I have seen pictures and read reports of serious boating accidents as a result of not wearing the SAFETY lanyard. Two years ago a dock mate and his wife had their boat in the waters off the marina just idling while they installed fenders and mooring lines. The wife bumped the throttle throwing both of them into the water. The boat ran up onto the rocks. They were lucky, just suffering embarrassment and about $5K damage. No one notified police so no charges. Soooo......FWIW IMO if you aren't going to use your SAFETY lanyard why not save some money and cancel the part of your boat insurance that pertains to third party liability as it will be useless if you weren't wearing your SAFETY lanyard. :cool: BTW I have seen some creative and legal ways to fasten the lanyard to clothing or an arm/leg that make it more comfortable yet functional. BTW ll A friend owns two insurance brokerages and has said many times what the law may state and what behavior we insure may be two different things. At any rate whereI boat both Canadian and American regulations require a SAFETY lanyard for any non-yacht certified watercraft.

rayg1022

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The reason I asked because I was like the rest of you and dont use it until yesterday my wife, granddaughter, and son were on the lake, we were anchored awhile swimming etc, we decided to take drive around the lake and so pulled the anchor, put the blower on then started the boat we were cleaning towels etc before we left and there were a couple of boats that drove past us and due to the wakes from them I lost my balance and landed on the throttle forward full power instantly and it threw me to the back of the boat where the rest of family was and do to the power and thrust I was trying to get up off the floor while the boat was headed for the rocks full speed bow up, luckily my son was able to help me up a little and I was to be able to kick back to neutral but was a close call. You don't think that a 190sx doesn't have enough power to keep a 260lb guy down but I'm here to tell you it does. So I'm here to tell you where the lanyard. It takes a split second for a life change instantly. Learned my lesson quick.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have always used it. Yes, it is a PITA. Reason, a personal one, in 1986 an owner I knew of (neighbour) lost control of his boat about 1/2 mile down the river from me. It ran up onto the shore injuring several people and killing one. After the police were through with him the civilian court took over. His insurance would not cover the court award (I believe about $800K). He lost his house and his then wife left. Over the years I have seen pictures and read reports of serious boating accidents as a result of not wearing the SAFETY lanyard. Two years ago a dock mate and his wife had their boat in the waters off the marina just idling while they installed fenders and mooring lines. The wife bumped the throttle throwing both of them into the water. The boat ran up onto the rocks. They were lucky, just suffering embarrassment and about $5K damage. No one notified police so no charges. Soooo......FWIW IMO if you aren't going to use your SAFETY lanyard why not save some money and cancel the part of your boat insurance that pertains to third party liability as it will be useless if you weren't wearing your SAFETY lanyard. :cool: BTW I have seen some creative and legal ways to fasten the lanyard to clothing or an arm/leg that make it more comfortable yet functional. BTW ll A friend owns two insurance brokerages and has said many times what the law may state and what behavior we insure may be two different things. At any rate whereI boat both Canadian and American regulations require a SAFETY lanyard for any non-yacht certified watercraft.
I do not know if the incidents you related were in Canada or the US. If the US, there has to be more to the story. If not using the lanyard is negligent and even illegal, your insurance company cannot deny you coverage. The whole point of having insurance is cover you for your negligent and/or illegal actions.
For example - you run a red light and hit another car, you are both negligent and have violated the law. Your insurance company will cover the accident. They might cancel you or hike your rates, but they are going to cover the accident. Maybe the guy who lost his house had low coverage limits. The injured party gets a judgment for 800K, but his policy limits are 250K. The insurance company pays the $250K, and then the injured party goes after his assets, like his house.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was thinking about this yesterday when we were on the water. When I have my Mustang or Water vest on I can clip to one of the loops. When It is just my bathing suit not so easy, so I don't clip unless in super rough water.

I was thinking perhaps something like this from amazon. Since my right hand is right there most of the time and it would be easy to just un velcro and the the next driver can velcro it on their wrist? Same thing they use on ski's.

Thoughts?

Daren and Heather

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah I was on the same page as you... I ended up buying and using this Yamaha lanyard. Just slip it on my right wrist when I'm driving fast - works well and has lots of room - I never notice when it's on.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I loop the lanyard through the clip at the end and slip it over my wrist. Not as classy as the velcro and stuff, but works just fine.

The point on insurance is valid. However, insurance may not cover intentional acts. So one question would be whether there was a finding of intent. One would need to read the policy to see if there were exclusions for running the boat without a lanyard, as well, which may vary from policy to policy and state to state.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The reason I asked because I was like the rest of you and dont use it until yesterday my wife, granddaughter, and son were on the lake, we were anchored awhile swimming etc, we decided to take drive around the lake and so pulled the anchor, put the blower on then started the boat we were cleaning towels etc before we left and there were a couple of boats that drove past us and due to the wakes from them I lost my balance and landed on the throttle forward full power instantly and it threw me to the back of the boat where the rest of family was and do to the power and thrust I was trying to get up off the floor while the boat was headed for the rocks full speed bow up, luckily my son was able to help me up a little and I was to be able to kick back to neutral but was a close call. You don't think that a 190sx doesn't have enough power to keep a 260lb guy down but I'm here to tell you it does. So I'm here to tell you where the lanyard. It takes a split second for a life change instantly. Learned my lesson quick.
Glad you and the family came out of it okay. Good for your son to have the whereabouts to think fast in a situation like that. Thinking through this scenario and others that have lost balance while idling, maybe the best bet is to turn engines completely off to tie ropes, bumpers, etc.. I don’t see how wearing a lanyard will allow you to move around the boat in order to do these things.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I always shut the engines off. I never leave the helm with engines running, nor do any of the other drivers in who drive my boat. Although I haven't been boating alone coming into dock and tie up as of yet. I have always had at least one crew. Will have to figure that one out.

svana

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My swim trunks have tightening laces. I tie a little loop to the end of one then clip it to that. It’s normally an “always on” situation unless I forget (which has admittedly happened more than once...).

Was having a conversation about what were to happen if I were thrown off with the lanyard, killed the boat, then remaining passengers wouldn’t be able to operate it to come get me if I were incapacitated, but IMO the potential pros/odds outweigh the cons.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a spare lanyard in a small emergency kit, with extra boat keys, trailer keys, 2 extra drain plugs and an extra flush adapter, whistle and phone charging cables both for iPhone(meh) and Android. It is in a pouch and when we stage the boat we pull it out of under seat storage compartment and throw it in the glove box. This kit is in addition to my flares and Medical emergency kit and duct tape (which I have used on a salmon fishing trip while we were wading in the river to seal a 4 inch gash in someone legs till we could get them to a hospital.)

svana

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a spare lanyard in a small emergency kit, with extra boat keys, trailer keys, 2 extra drain plugs and an extra flush adapter, whistle and phone charging cables both for iPhone(meh) and Android. It is in a pouch and when we stage the boat we pull it out of under seat storage compartment and throw it in the glove box. This kit is in addition to my flares and Medical emergency kit and duct tape (which I have used on a salmon fishing trip while we were wading in the river to seal a 4 inch gash in someone legs till we could get them to a hospital.)
Duh, extra lanyard makes sense. Had planned on including one, not sure why it hasn't come to mind till you mentioned.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@svana Funny thing. I never really spent too much at amazon till I got a boat. Now I find all sorts of things that I think I will need possibly. I have backups for the backup on just about anything. I won't even get into the spare emergency 2 person tube that is in the box still in the back under the starboard rear seat or the 2 additional tow ropes still in plastic. Since most of my crew are always the kids and their friends, I make sure that if something breaks I have backup on everything I can. I have more flotation vests in the boat just in case. Summer is only a few months here and since the kids only go out every other weekend I want to make sure if I have an issue it doesn't ruin the day.

svana

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@svana Funny thing. I never really spent too much at amazon till I got a boat. Now I find all sorts of things that I think I will need possibly. I have backups for the backup on just about anything. I won't even get into the spare emergency 2 person tube that is in the box still in the back under the starboard rear seat or the 2 additional tow ropes still in plastic. Since most of my crew are always the kids and their friends, I make sure that if something breaks I have backup on everything I can. I have more flotation vests in the boat just in case. Summer is only a few months here and since the kids only go out every other weekend I want to make sure if I have an issue it doesn't ruin the day.
Meh, my truck's loaded up to get me home under almost any circumstance. Boat's a similar situation but more geared towards just getting me to dock if needed.