• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Emergency cutoff switch

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I hear ya. I went a bit crazy and bought a more portable floor jack, road flares, triangle markers, additional safety and security for the trailer, upgraded my grease gun. Have two spare bearing buddies in boxes, new tire iron, fix a flat, extra ball, and more crap. Did this right before a vacation, now I through it in the hatch in a carrying container every time I tow the boat. Probably pretty overkill.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's only overkill until you break down that one time or someone gets hurt and you figure out you have everything you need to address the situation...

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@tdonoughue True... Eventually I will carry so much stuff that my boat will go like 20 mph at WOT. :rolleyes: Then it is time to upgrade. :)

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Exactly.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
The reason I asked because I was like the rest of you and dont use it until yesterday my wife, granddaughter, and son were on the lake, we were anchored awhile swimming etc, we decided to take drive around the lake and so pulled the anchor, put the blower on then started the boat we were cleaning towels etc before we left and there were a couple of boats that drove past us and due to the wakes from them I lost my balance and landed on the throttle forward full power instantly and it threw me to the back of the boat where the rest of family was and do to the power and thrust I was trying to get up off the floor while the boat was headed for the rocks full speed bow up, luckily my son was able to help me up a little and I was to be able to kick back to neutral but was a close call. You don't think that a 190sx doesn't have enough power to keep a 260lb guy down but I'm here to tell you it does. So I'm here to tell you where the lanyard. It takes a split second for a life change instantly. Learned my lesson quick.
@rayg1022 .....my reporting of a similar incident was anecdotal - yours is first hand and therefore IMO very, very powerful. Thank you for posting this - you may well have saved lives!!!!!

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have been using the Fell MOB+ for two seasons- no problems so far. Several advantages over a corded kill switch
1. I can move around the boat without accidental pulling the kill switch
2. I can restart 6 seconds after an emergency shutdown without having the fob - keep in mind if you fall overboard with the cord it would be very hard for others onboard to start the boat
3. Makes it easy do perform the reverse impeller clearing technique- reverse - press the fob- press again and ready to restart

I wired it in a way I can bypass easily if it ever fails

Far from my favorite upgrade but happy with it

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I do not know if the incidents you related were in Canada or the US. If the US, there has to be more to the story. If not using the lanyard is negligent and even illegal, your insurance company cannot deny you coverage. The whole point of having insurance is cover you for your negligent and/or illegal actions.
For example - you run a red light and hit another car, you are both negligent and have violated the law. Your insurance company will cover the accident. They might cancel you or hike your rates, but they are going to cover the accident. Maybe the guy who lost his house had low coverage limits. The injured party gets a judgment for 800K, but his policy limits are 250K. The insurance company pays the $250K, and then the injured party goes after his assets, like his house.
@Elliott ....I appreciate your perspective and information. My insurance will cover me running a red light and causing an accident. It will not cover me running a red light and causing damage if I am fleeing police as that is a deliberate (felonious) act and not a logically defined risk for which I have paid money. The condominium we live in has a limited number of boat slips. We own one which we rent out. The condo corporation's insurance company has made it crystal clear that they will only third party insure us for people on boats that are registered to a particular slip. Slip owners who have let other people use their slips have lost them as they risk our group insurance and put us all at risk of uninsured civil litigation. I have never deliberately evaded the use of boating safety equipment so I have never looked at my policy to see if I am covered for willfully acting in a negligent manner but I doubt I would be - insurance companies would go broke - where would the line be drawn? Interesting conversation! :cool:

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@Elliott ....I appreciate your perspective and information. My insurance will cover me running a red light and causing an accident. It will not cover me running a red light and causing damage if I am fleeing police as that is a deliberate (felonious) act and not a logically defined risk for which I have paid money. The condominium we live in has a limited number of boat slips. We own one which we rent out. The condo corporation's insurance company has made it crystal clear that they will only third party insure us for people on boats that are registered to a particular slip. Slip owners who have let other people use their slips have lost them as they risk our group insurance and put us all at risk of uninsured civil litigation. I have never deliberately evaded the use of boating safety equipment so I have never looked at my policy to see if I am covered for willfully acting in a negligent manner but I doubt I would be - insurance companies would go broke - where would the line be drawn? Interesting conversation! :cool:
Actually your insurance company will cover you or at least third parties for your intentional acts.

Easy example - you choose to speed excessively (usually 20+ the speed limit, a felony), you have an accident that is your fault. Will your insurance company pay? - absolutely. You choose to voluntarily drink alcohol until your are legally intoxicated, and then you choose to drive your car (a felony). You have an accident that is your fault. Will the insurance company pay? - absolutely.

Your condo association is merely enforcing the terms of your contract with them and the terms of the insurance contract. The condo association is rightfully concerned about its future insurability for violating the terms of the contract. I am not sure how this relates to the primary topic.

A very high percentage (almost all) of negligent behavior is intentional (speeding, following too closely, driving distracted, DUI, failing to maintain the vehicle and etc.).

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Actually your insurance company will cover you or at least third parties for your intentional acts.

Easy example - you choose to speed excessively (usually 20+ the speed limit, a felony), you have an accident that is your fault. Will your insurance company pay? - absolutely. You choose to voluntarily drink alcohol until your are legally intoxicated, and then you choose to drive your car (a felony). You have an accident that is your fault. Will the insurance company pay? - absolutely.

Your condo association is merely enforcing the terms of your contract with them and the terms of the insurance contract. The condo association is rightfully concerned about its future insurability for violating the terms of the contract. I am not sure how this relates to the primary topic.

A very high percentage (almost all) of negligent behavior is intentional (speeding, following too closely, driving distracted, DUI, failing to maintain the vehicle and etc.).
@Elliot.....speeding, following too closely, DUI are not felonies - they are violations of the HTA. Deliberate criminal activity of deliberate misuse of safety equipment will be challenged by any insurance adjuster with an IQ. As for those three most insurance companies where i live will pay for them as there is no criminal activity that is part of the violation (speeding while fleeing a robbery - no coverage) but will cancel your insurance. For example stunt driving (burn-outs/brake burns, exceeding the speed limit by 50KPH+) will be punished by police with a 5,000.00 fine, seven day vehicle impoundment and seven day licence suspension and (depending on judge and age of driver) a further 90 to 365 day licence suspension. After that most insurance companies dump the policyholder and put them into facility insurance at $4K-$5K per year for 4or5 years - but that doesn't involve a felony, just stupidity - speaking of which why would any experienced boater IMO be so stupid, careless and inconsiderate of passengers and others, as to not wear their safety lanyard. The first rule of a captain is to protect others.....and IMO @rayg1022 clearly ended the discussion of why we should wear a safety lanyard. :cool:

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I was not discussing the merits of using or not using the lanyard.

I was addressing the fact that insurance companies will pay if you are negligent - and even if you are engaged in criminal conduct. People often (I see it on RV sites and etc.) state that if you are negligent you somehow void your insurance, and that is not true. In fact criminal conduct, misdemeanor or felony, will not void your coverage -at least as it pertains to innocent third parties. After defending you and paying out, your insurance company could seek compensation from you for the most egregious of criminal acts.

DUI is a felony in most jurisdictions in the US - it often requires (1) serious damage/injuries, (2) repeat offense or (3) professional/safety issues - such as you are driving a school bus with children to be charged as a felony. Of course, number 1 if when insurance always comes into play.

Using or not using the lanyard will not impact your coverage. It could impact the likelihood of having an accident and/or possibly the damages awarded to an injured third party.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
One final example - how likely do you think it is that a bank would loan money on a car/boat/RV/house if the actions of the owner could void the insurance coverage that they rely upon to pay off the loan in the event of a loss?