• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine anodes replacement - Salt water - how often?

Damsroy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For those boating in salt water, how often do you replace the engine anodes?

My boat did two seasons in fresh water and One season in salt water. Flushed with salt away after each outing. Pretty sure the engine anodes have not been replaced (can’t find any reference to those being replaced on the dealer maintenance invoices)

I purchased new engine anodes but not sure if I have to do it now or if this can wait until end of season.

BC247864-3D43-4FE6-B9E1-49B856325B70.jpeg

Last edited:

Bogus

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Good question, any answers?

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Honestly, I've never replaced anodes. I would replace when pitted.

shrivel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Technically, you don't need to replace an anode until it's nearly completely gone. As long as it's continuing to deteriorate, it's doing its job. A new one doesn't do any better than an old one.

Damsroy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@shrivel you are 100% right.
Never checked mine so not sure where they are at. Boat is in the water for the season so if I could wait until end of the season would be preferable for me. If it’s ain’t broken don’t fix it as they say!!!!

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last edited:

Damsroy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has anybody pulled their engines anode yet to check them out?

Trying to assess how long it takes for those anodes to get to 2/3 or 1/2 gone.

I know I could just remove them and check them but I have never done it, not sure how hard or easy it is and last thing I want to do is to brake something while doing it and now I have to get the trailer (stored 10miles away) and get the boat out of the water to fix it.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What do your pump anodes look like? Are they pitted, doing their job? How much is left? And your pump, nozzle or other aluminum parts. Do you see any galvanic corrosion, pitting on them? I just took this picture of mine. I have not changed any anodes in 4 yrs. of ownership. She spent 3 Summers in a fresh water wet slip, no shorepower plug ins on that dock. Still holding up well, with enough wear on the anodes and none on the pumps to tell me they are doing their job.

20200530_075042.jpg

Maillis

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Service manual for the FSH 210 says you should check the engine anodes every 200 hours.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I bought my boat long time ago from someone that used it in brackish and salt. External anodes are still 75% there. Last winter i bought engine anodes. Maybe i will put them in tomorrow just to see how it goes.

Damsroy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you @zipper, @Speedling, @Maillis for your contribution.

My boat is wetsplipped in salt water. After one season the external anodes were eaten at 50%. I replaced them and added another piece of zinc on the other side of the pumps.

The internal anodes are not in contact with saltwater 100% of the time like the internal anodes are. Especially when you flush with salt away after each outing. I would assume that they are getting consumed at a much lesser rate than pump housing anodes.

Based on the FS 210 service manual I would assume that it Is similar for an AR 240. My boat has 130 hours.

@Speedling let me know if you pull yours out and what they look like. If it is as easy as removing one bolt and pull them out I might just check them as well for good sake order.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Mine isn't bad at all!20200531_163118.jpg
That was verified by @buckbuck on yds at 240 hours in.... 2013ish? P.O. kept boat on lift in Tampa, no waked out to the bay, partied on beach and came back all the time. So no clue what my hours are now. I never seem to have good luck connecting when i borrow stuff.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Super easy. Undid bolt (used the above thread to make sure location and which bolt to do) and had to give a firm twist to pull out by hand. Washers looked good and had some sort of grease on it which i re-spread and put back in. Gonna keep the new ones for after my next bahamas trip

Damsroy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @Speedling. Awesome!

Based on all those inputs it sounds like those engine anodes are not deteriorating at a fast pace and should last many years before having to be replaced.

Not sure if i will check them out now or a the end of the season. Will report once i find out.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For those boating in salt water, how often do you replace the engine anodes?

My boat did two seasons in fresh water and One season in salt water. Flushed with salt away after each outing. Pretty sure the engine anodes have not been replaced (can’t find any reference to those being replaced on the dealer maintenance invoices)

I purchased new engine anodes but not sure if I have to do it now or if this can wait until end of season.

View attachment 120777
I asked my dealer about it when I picked up my new boat this spring. He said engine anodes around 8-10 years depending how much you use the boat.