• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine cranks but doesn’t turn over

Avega

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I have a 2018 Yamaha sx195. Before I took her out I cranked her up at home, no problem. I launched her that same day and hung out at our spot. 2 hours later I tried starting her and she wouldn’t turn on. The engine would crank, but wouldn’t turn over. The entire time though while out on the water I had the radio playing and the bulge pump on. I got towed back to the marina. When I got home, I wanted to flush her out, and she started with no problems. I even turned her off and back on several times and no issues. Can anyone help to explain what could have happened out in the water? The only thing I checked was the oil and it looked ok. Im stumped.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Kill switch and clean out hatch switch.

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Have the same boat, I would suspect 2 possible issues, check the safety lanyard, do a reset take it all the way out and replace it, then the most likely culprit is the engine cutoff switch under the swim deck. If those check then take your battery to a shop and have it checked!

Avega

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Have the same boat, I would suspect 2 possible issues, check the safety lanyard, do a reset take it all the way out and replace it, then the most likely culprit is the engine cutoff switch under the swim deck. If those check then take your battery to a shop and have it checked!
I may just replace the battery all together. Now that I remember, on the gauge it read, “battery voltage” only once and didn’t show again. I don’t know if it’s because I trying to crank it repeatedly or a bad battery.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
How come it would start at home and not in the water??
Not a clue, but 1 of those 2 switches are the culprit 90% of the time.

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Just thinking about it ALSO check to make sure ALL your battery connections are TIGHT! they maybe loose and causing an intermittent problem

Avega

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Not a clue, but 1 of those 2 switches are the culprit 90% of the time.
I guess I’ll replace them to be sure. Thanks for your help

Avega

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Just thinking about it ALSO check to make sure ALL your battery connections are TIGHT! they maybe loose and causing an intermittent problem
Thanks for your help

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
dont need to replace just check them, reset your lanyard and make sure your rear hatch is closing properly and doesn't have a lot of play, then check your battery connections

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
dont need to replace just check them, reset your lanyard and make sure your rear hatch is closing properly and doesn't have a lot of play, then check your battery connections
As @FLBulldogger said, don't replace, just check. Sometimes the hatch switch needs to be raised a little to make better contact.

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@Avega if you need help I can walk you through the process just DM me and we can talk directly and I can get into the troubleshooting in more depth!

Gunner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No need to leave bilge pump on it turns on when needed. If it ran that long you probably ran the battery down.

Avega

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
No need to leave bilge pump on it turns on when needed. If it ran that long you probably ran the battery down.
I thought the switch had to be on for the bilge to operate

FLBulldogger

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
No our year and model has a auto bilge it operates ANYTIME it senses water.

four_the_kids

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We're experiencing a similar situation, out on the water for 10 days, no issues. Top off the tank with fresh fuel each morning at the same place. We put her in the water, starboard engine fires right up, port engine, cranks and cranks, and does not start. Pulled all the plugs one by one, grounded them and cranked the motor, got spark on all of them. Could smell gas getting into the cylinders. Buttoned it all back up, and still nothing, cranks over, but won't start.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I had a poor starting issue with my new 212s this summer where the strb engine wouldn't always fire up right away. After reading about the safety swtiches, I checked the safety cutout switches at the cleanout hatch and the strb was a little low based on how the hatch lowered onto the switches. I adjusted it slightly to raise it about 1/8" and haven't had a start issue since - both start first try 100% of the time now. Might be related?