• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine hatch foam coming undone!

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
YES.. our 15 242 is also coming off in layers. Open the hatch and be greeted by foam hanging down. This si blocking the fire extinguisher ports.. so it is a major safety hazard and yamaha could be in bog trouble if their is a fire and it is blocking the suppression port.
John: The complete" fix" is extremely easy.
And relatively inexpensive.
I suggest you might try it. The time involved, besides driving to buy the can of 3M spray adhesive, is approx. 5 mins.
Let us know if we can assist you any further.
Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

JMSGA

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Poor execution by Yamaha on the insulation. I looked at new ones sunday and the foam was already coming down. Looked mickey mouse, hopefully will be done like it should for 2016 models.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well I forgot to tell the dealer about the foam so I just did it myself. Had a can of 3M already and it worked great. But hey they buffed out some docking scratches for me and I didn't even ask them to so I will handle the small stuff.

Attachments

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just passed over 25hrs and am experiencing the same problem. However I purchased a can of 3M's "extra stength" liner adhesive. Its supposed to be high heat and high moisture resistant. -- time shall tell.

@john94si - I whole heartedly agree!! HUGE safety concern.

JRMIAMI

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
There appears to be 3 layers of foam. The first layer of foam is separating from the hatch, and the other layers are separating from each other. This happened to mine. I used LOCTITE professional performance 300 heavy spray adhesive. This product worked for me.

Kennc

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did the fix with the 3m 90 Hi strength. Seems to be holding for now. I'll report back after the 4th after we have some hours on it.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Somebody needs to post a pic of this poorly installed insulation. I thought they had this figured out after all these years.
image.jpeg

Nope, Yamaha still haven't worked out how to apply sound deadening, or upgraded and purchased any 3M adhesive :mad:.

JDRacing

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yep, new 2018 212X here. Same problem. Mine ripped in several places the first time out from folding over itself and getting pinched between the hatch and the engine compartment each time it is opened and closed. There are actually two separate foam pieces (part numbers) for this. Both of mine are torn. Dealer will replace both at 10 hour service.

Jeff

Last edited:

feziwig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
agree with everyone else on here that suggested 3M High strength 90. Did the trick perfect for the same issue on my boat.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mine unfortunately is dried out and is starting to fall apart and come off in chunks (with the accompanying nasty black dust). It is an '06...so, I get it, but I'm dreading the thought of replacing it. Has anyone undertaken what I anticipate being a very messy task?

Chuck McGinley

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Same happened to me. Seems like a fire hazard if it is laying on the warm engine and you don't know it.
Here is my fix. I will try and post pictures later if I can. BTW I have a 2017 242x E Series, so not sure how the bolts on other models will be.

1. My seat cushions have bolts that come down through the hatch.

2. There are 6 bolts (3 on each side) in diamond shape hanging down into the engine area from the cushions above. I sprayed Gorilla Glue contact spray on cement on the foam.

3. Then I used 6 large washers and bolts to fit the bolts hanging down into the engine area.

4. I then pushed the foam down onto the bolts so the bolts popped through the foam. I then put the very large washers over the foam and onto the bolts.

5. I then put a nut onto the bold holding the washer down. This washer is large enough to hold the foam in place.

6. I also put loctite on the bolts so they don't vibrate off.

I figure this and the glue should fix the issue long term.

1st Pic.jpeg2nd pic.jpeg3rd pic.jpeg