• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine help

gmtech16450yz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No problem, my original comment about fuel filter misdiagnosis was more of a trivia or a general "did you know" kind of comment to the general audience.

It's funny you mentioned the scheduled maintenance of fuel filters though. That used to be the case, it's not anymore. GM hasn't put replaceable/owner serviceable fuel filters in their cars and truck for the last decade or so. Before that, they said under average use, the fuel filter didn't need to be changed for 100k miles. Actually, our own Yamaha boats don't even have replaceable fuel filters! Most vehicles, like our boats, have a screen or a "sock" filter on the fuel pump inlet and that's it. It usually lasts as long as the pump itself usually does. So there's actually a chance that the motorhome the OP is talking about may not even have a replaceable fuel filter. (2011 Ford V10 F53's don't have a replaceable fuel filter. OP's is an '06, not sure when Ford ditched the external filter.)

As far as my personal experience has been, yeah back in the carb days fuel filters and plugged jets were a problem. And in the early fuel injection era, they were also sometimes an issue. But in the last 10 or maybe even 20 years, plugged fuel filters are pretty rare actually. I think it may be more of a matter of our nations fuel supply than anything actually. I think it's pretty good. Gone are the days when you NEVER went to a gas station that had a tanker truck in it filling the tanks. Everyone knew that's when all the cr@p at the bottom of the storage tanks would get churned up and end up in your gas tank. The days of "bad gas" or gas that's full of junk that will plug your fuel filter are really pretty much over imho. Especially if you take the advice mentioned here, stick to busy, name brand stations.

Last edited: