• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine Mods/Performance Upgrades

Rodney Findley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is anyone considered this or looked into it (or even interested)? I know it is becoming popular with the Rotax-powered boats but not a lot of talk on the Yamaha side. I have seen a couple of people do a set of Solas inpeller upgrades (by Impros) but nothing much over that. I have done some looking and about to dive into this as was curious if anyone else has done anything?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Supercharged models can. Check the 192 threads with upgraded parts on those. Lots of threads on those.
As for the N/A motors you can do ribbon delete, performance filter, impeller, be sure you have everything sealed properly on the pump.
Probably could do a 25 shot of nitrous cheaply enough.
I believe there is just starting to be some ecu work done. Expensive yet but it will be cheaper as it becomes more popular.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Supercharged models can. Check the 192 threads with upgraded parts on those. Lots of threads on those.
As for the N/A motors you can do ribbon delete, performance filter, impeller, be sure you have everything sealed properly on the pump.
Probably could do a 25 shot of nitrous cheaply enough.
I believe there is just starting to be some ecu work done. Expensive yet but it will be cheaper as it becomes more popular.
I second that. (Except don't know anything about nitrous). And - I also like OEM impellers, hard to beat overall IMO. I would add Lucky 13 anti-cavitation cone to the list.
ECU reflash is a tough one, given the price. I would do it again in a heartbeat in a single engine, given the flexibility with the Maptuner X (I love mine, it really smooths power delivery out considerably), I would have to think twice about twins :).

--

Rodney Findley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I live in Pompano and Riva Motorsports HQ is here in Pompano. I get all of my maintenance work done there. Alot/most of the performance parts/mod they make for the Yamaha Ski SVHO and HO jet engines will bolt onto the Yamaha Boat SVHO and HO jet engines as well.

This is direct quote from their parts dept and service dept employees:
"It is highly recommended NOT to do so"
"Performance gains will be minimal"
"Parts were designed for the Ski, specifically weight/speed ratio"
"Unless you intent to use (hours) the boat the same as you would a jet ski (approx. less than 250 hours), don't expect the motor to last if modified."

NOTE: I'm not advocating either position, to do mods or not to do mods...I'm just passing along info I've been told.

The above is from in person conversations. I basically agree with what they said...I was just passing time waiting for them to bring my boat out from the shop and was having a convo with the guys there.

I would agree with about 90% of this comment. I spoke with them a couple of years ago when I was looking to getting a 212SS and "he" (whomever at the time) said that in theory it all should work. Obviously the results would differ as a result of the weight and drag coefficient but he said that he would have no idea but if I wanted to be the guinea pig that he would like to hear the results! The quoted text from the parts and service guys sounds right on, they never want to be a result of someone's trial efforts (and that's understandable)

Again, I'm not talking about trying to take a 50mph boat and try to get 70mph out of it... just making the engines slightly more efficient and finding untapped potential is where I'm going. I was thinking the following:
- R&D Power Sleeve intake manifold upgrade (this would allow a calculated 40CFM of additional air to the engines)
-R&D R1 ECU upgrade (safe for both 87 & 91 octane fuels and not too aggressive for mild engine upgrades and raises the rev limiter to 8150)
- fabricate a velocity stack-type intake system
-Impros modified Solas 14/22 impellers (which are de-piched about 2 degrees to allow for the higher RPM)

Nitrous = no way! not on a recreational boat! I have had it on cars and even my diesel and that was fine for that particular application...

Rodney Findley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
another interesting thing talking about untapped potential on these 1812cc engines... There is a guy with a 242 and he simply removed his air filters, left the stock air box intact with no mods and stock impellers and gained 3 mph?
Not sure what elements were involved when he did this but I believe there was a youtube video that showed before and after..... I might give that a try since it is a simple mod.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I am strongly considering replacing my intercooler and dedicated associate cooling to combat heat soak, but I'm not going to do anything else. I can't imagine that a larger intercooler in anyway will shorten the life span of my engine.

Rodney Findley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would figure in due time Yamaha will roll out some performance options/models for those who seek adventure. I would be nice to see an SX240 model with a pair of the SVHO engines and pumps, coupled with unique sport graphics.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I would figure in due time Yamaha will roll out some performance options/models for those who seek adventure. I would be nice to see an SX240 model with a pair of the SVHO engines and pumps, coupled with unique sport graphics.
Keep waiting.
Performance nuts aren't a large enough segment for them to do it. In fact, when i go to the boat show, you see the wake boats, the big cruisers and little inbetween. I asked Formula dealer what's up and he just said that no one buys them. They just sit on his floor and look pretty.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I live in Pompano and Riva Motorsports HQ is here in Pompano. I get all of my maintenance work done there. Alot/most of the performance parts/mod they make for the Yamaha Ski SVHO and HO jet engines will bolt onto the Yamaha Boat SVHO and HO jet engines as well.

This is direct quote from their parts dept and service dept employees:
"It is highly recommended NOT to do so"
"Performance gains will be minimal"
"Parts were designed for the Ski, specifically weight/speed ratio"
"Unless you intent to use (hours) the boat the same as you would a jet ski (approx. less than 250 hours), don't expect the motor to last if modified."

NOTE: I'm not advocating either position, to do mods or not to do mods...I'm just passing along info I've been told.

The above is from in person conversations. I basically agree with what they said...I was just passing time waiting for them to bring my boat out from the shop and was having a convo with the guys there.
RIVA guys when they are not talking jet boat mods.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would agree with about 90% of this comment. I spoke with them a couple of years ago when I was looking to getting a 212SS and "he" (whomever at the time) said that in theory it all should work. Obviously the results would differ as a result of the weight and drag coefficient but he said that he would have no idea but if I wanted to be the guinea pig that he would like to hear the results! The quoted text from the parts and service guys sounds right on, they never want to be a result of someone's trial efforts (and that's understandable)

Again, I'm not talking about trying to take a 50mph boat and try to get 70mph out of it... just making the engines slightly more efficient and finding untapped potential is where I'm going. I was thinking the following:
- R&D Power Sleeve intake manifold upgrade (this would allow a calculated 40CFM of additional air to the engines)
-R&D R1 ECU upgrade (safe for both 87 & 91 octane fuels and not too aggressive for mild engine upgrades and raises the rev limiter to 8150)
- fabricate a velocity stack-type intake system
-Impros modified Solas 14/22 impellers (which are de-piched about 2 degrees to allow for the higher RPM)

Nitrous = no way! not on a recreational boat! I have had it on cars and even my diesel and that was fine for that particular application...

In all seriousness, ribbon delete/intake upgrade is tried-and-true in 1.8l, the newer models have a redesigned manifold, so watch which part you get if you want the intake ring (many go without). It is reversible, subject to the same factory rev limiter, and you gain about 200RPM in a n/a 1.8. Filter/performance grade - maybe gain 50RPM.

Reflash/ECU tuning will not give you much top speed in a N/A 1.8 (the "HO"), as these are already highly tuned from the factory. With very high compression ratio (something like 11.1) the HO offers little that you can do with it on the top end.
(by comparison, SHOs are under tuned with a compression ration of 8.5 or so, and a lot of extra performance that can be added; keep in mind - with a supercharged engine, but not N/A, anytime you increase RPMs you increase boost and power)
It does improve power curve in a VERY noticeable manner, the boat comes alive and is quicker. With the added torque and depitched impeller you will be fighting cavitation.
Not sure why you would go with anything by Vtech Maptuner X. They work with RIVA, and have their best guy Jesus on board. And it takes minutes to reflash back to stock if you need to, for example no premium fuel.

--

Rodney Findley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wouldn't use Vtec, i would go with R&D. They have race proven machines just
as Riva. Riva makes good stuff but piggybacks of Athena which makes them expensive...

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn't use Vtec, i would go with R&D. They have race proven machines just
as Riva. Riva makes good stuff but piggybacks of Athena which makes them expensive...
Not sure R&D will be in business of reflashing ECUs much longer with the way that things are evolving. R&D used to be the only logical choice for Yamaha even a year ago, but that has changed dramatically with Vtech's recent refocus. Check it out, Greenhulk.net, lots of good info.

The thing is, with stage 1 level reflash, R&D and Vtech will not differ in what they can do. Vtech will be a tad more expensive, especially if you get your own Maptuner, but with two engines I really do not see the point. The advantages are just too too obvious...:
Vtech is the only reflash currently available that stores your intact stock file, which you can go back too anytime.
You can reflash as many times as you want, back and forth, on the water, whenever, takes about a minute with the new system.
Several programs are available for each stage/level varying in the degree of throttle response - more or less aggressive - very nice to find what you like.
You do not need to send you ECUs out and wait for weeks (in season).
Great support over the phone or email.

Keep us posted what you decide to do, very interested!

--

Rodney Findley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great info and support guys. At the end of the day, with all that needs to be done to personalize this boat to what i want, looks like the mod list will consistof the manifold upgrade, velocity stack, and impeller upgrade.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Ribbon delete had huge gain on my single 1.8. I'm gonna do it on my twin 1.8

Rodney Findley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ribbon delete had huge gain on my single 1.8. I'm gonna do it on my twin 1.8
it only makes sense right? I mean, I'm not sure what the purpose is with it. I would imagine that straight flow from filter to throttle body would be the ultimate in efficiency?

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Flame arrestor...not necessary lol

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Rides pulls drives like dream

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Pull the flame arrestor only if you are putting in the high performancefilters that are rated as flame arrestors.
Any oil residue or fuel fumes that accidently get in there can ignite and the flame arrestor takes care of that.
With threads about oil saturated filters and fuel injectors going bad it is probavky not good to remove everything

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just did a bunch of mods to my boat and was thinking of the ribbon delete. I the rings and the flame arrestor filters but I'm not so sure if I want to do it. It may gain me a few rpm on the top end but I don't run there often. I've been following the maptuner and ECU reflash and was wondering if this might be the way to go. I have a CARB boat and would like to see if the ECU reflash could bring the rpms up past 7,800 to where the non CARB boats run. @swatski, With your experience with the reflash, would it be worth it for my 240 thats a CARB boat?