• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine not starting, Help please

04PacMan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Hello All,

New to the forum, needing some help with my boat. Appreciate any help,

Sorry for book , will try to be short. just dont want to leave anything out '07 Challenger 230 SC, in the fall while cruising engine suddenly stopped. tried to get to go on water but nothing. limped back to shore and loaded up on trailer. at home tried again to crank and no go, removed jet pump and tried again, no go. removed plugs and then tried spinning engine and it finally cranked but made awful screeching, metal on metal. stopped right away. pulled supercharge and found the shaft bearing was had been locked and the impeller was the sound I heard, had scrapped against the housing. New supercharger on the way. went thru upper part and could not find anything in engine, think I got very lucky that it didn't suck up any of the shavings as it never started when the scrapping was going on. fast forward to today. I'm trying to get the engine prepped for the new SC, which will be here tomorrow. When I go to start it won't go. Port engine is fine, Starboard not firing. no access to a Buds system unless I want to pay stealer just to hook up. at battery post is 12.6, at solenoid 12.6 while cranking drops to 12.4, also checked at starter and had same reading at the starter of 12.4 while cranking. also bypassed with a jumper directly to the starter and same result. Starter was just checked out by auto electrician. also checked Fuel Pressure and is at 56psi. With out plugs in the engine cranks easily and is smooth no pings of any sort or sounds that shouldn't be there. Also after cranking for a little bit, I pulled plugs and all three had gas on them, #3 though had carbon build up. all three are brand new NGK oem plugs,checked and all 3 have spark as well.

Here is a video of cranking, get the 2 beeps and if I let sit get the 4 beeps on the dess before cranking. Video 1

2nd vid is cranking right engine twice followed by left engine start up and then right engine crank. Video 2

been reading and wondering if might be the bendix?? Don't really want to take the motor apart unless have to.

Thoughts??
Rick

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hmm I'm no pro at this by any means at all. Did you pull the oil filter on the engine with the blown charger and see if there are any metal shavings in that oil?

04PacMan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I pulled the filter and couldn't find anything. oil was still pretty clean.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm assuming you are trying to start the engine with the super charger removed correct? Will that engine even start with the super charger off? I'm not sure if it can be started with it off. One way to check would be to remove the super charger from the good engine and see if it still starts. Does the oil in the bad motor look milky you could have possibly injested water into the engine that was turned off while limping back on one motor.

04PacMan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Was told along the line that I should be able to start without. I did pull the hoses off (not completely remove though) the engine that's running and it fired right up. New charger will be here friday so I could possibly wait till then to see if makes a difference. Would be great if that's it but my luck I'm not holding breath.

Checked the oil for water and no signs. It's good slightly dark amber colored with normal,oil feel.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Albysure might be able to help. He's got a SeaDoo.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
do you have spark" if the throttle body sensor is not all the way down it will not get spark, it should actually run without the supercharger .

04PacMan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I pulled the plugs and cranked while they were grounded and had spark at each plug. is there another way to test with a meter. any test for the throttle body sensor?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
if you have spark that means the sensor is ok, how old is the fuel? try a bit of starting fluid in the air intake and see what you get. you need spark fuel and compression so maybe the fuel went bad

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you check compression on all cylinders ? Timing chain?

04PacMan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Fuel was just put in September and had stabilizer for the winter. I'll get starting fluid and try to see if any difference.
Haven't done compression test yet. Easy way to check timing chain? Shop Manuel says it auto sets timing and doesn't provid anymore info.

BTW,Thank you all for your input, very much appreciated.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Pinched fuel line or stoppes up fuel line on that side.. if so the starting fluid should tell u.

04PacMan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Sorry for delay. Took to a shop which has been slammed, any how engine is having to be replaced as well having the 2nd done as it shows signs of excessive heat , according to the shop repairing. Not sure if damage was all mine from sucking up a rope or from previous owner, just bought July last year, insurance is covering the replacement of both though so hopefully in a week or two I'll be back on water.