• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine Performance Issue, please help!

Thomas Smith

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Changing the spark plugs has long been a fix for most Yamaha engine issues on these forums.

I repeat though that your plugs look quite out of the ordinary. I've never seen plugs like that. Something else is going on.
By something else, what do you think.....moisture in the plug well/tube? would this simply occur over time with condensation etc? or do you think something different? Thank you again for the help

Stuntmanmike

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Condensation and time will rust any non stainless metal in a marine environment, twice as fast around saltwater..

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How do the contacts inside the coils look? I agree with the other guys that the outside rust on the plugs looks unusual to me.

Thomas Smith

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The contacts look great, no issues there at all.................

Thomas Smith

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Update;

replaced the plugs and it ran fine with the hose to both engines in the driveway........throttled up and sounded good. Then went out on the lake to test it with a "load" to the engines. Ran like crap!! both engines and had exhaust smoke coming from the hatch then both engines died and never were able to get them to fire again. It never did run good enough to get it up on a plane or even a smooth low RPM.......always sporadic and ran real rough both engines......

Some thoughts.......now maybe change the fuel pumps and check filters in the pump assembly? Pump fuel out and replace ?? The fuel was full and I used stabile over the winter.............I am at a loss now....

Thanks as always for the advice and input.

Jebinok

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I kinda feel like if it was bad fuel it would run like crap loaded or unloaded. but i would check for water in your tank i do feel like you have a supply problem. restricted, clogged, or sucking air ect ect
just my 2 cents

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
if you have exhaust in your engine compartment you've got issues, it could be the exhaust fumes are choking the engine (we've seen that happen to a member before), try running it with the engine hatch open to see how it performs

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The angle of the boat on the trailer can be different than in the water. If you have phase separation or water in your fuel it will settle at the pump intakes with the boat in the water and not necessarily so when on the trailer.

I went through this same issue a couple years back even though I used stabil.

Thomas Smith

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Awesome, two things to try........Thank you more to follow !!

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Thomas Smith When I had my fuel related issues I ended up pumping out all the fuel from the tank. I also installed fuel/water separators (which some thought was overkill). Haven't had a problem since. The fuel I pumped out was milky white and thick!