• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine running loud and increase vibration after sucked up a dock line.

Rdavis0207

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello All, I sucked up a dock line this weekend. Was able to remove once I got to shallow water. Once it was cleared the port engine was fine up to 7k Ron but above that it's noticably loader and increased vibration. It also does the same out of the water durring my flush. I am taking the pump and impeller out to check for any more obstruction. If I don't find anything what other damage could be done and is the is a self fix. 2008 Yamaha sx230 ho. Thanks

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
glad to have you on board, sorry we had to meet like this,

if it's making sounds/vibration on the hose I would think there could be something wrong with the impeller/wear ring,

This would be highly unusual though and I wouldn't think that until I had more evidence,

I would bet you still had rope stuck on the shaft or lodged between the impeller/wear ring,

once you remove the impeller/shaft it will be much more obvious what the problem could be, be sure to look forward wear the shaft goes into the boat for any damage,

one other possibility would be some of the silicone sealant around the ride plate/jet came loose and now your sucking air in ( I would be surprised though if this manifested itself on the hose, normally it's a "in the water" symptom

Be sure to look at the link in my signature below for "known issues" on your model boat, especially your scupper valve.

good luck and let us know what you find (pictures if you do find something),

Scott

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
You mean “Captain Zimmer” didn’t help you avoid a rope?

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Congrats, you earned an awesome trophy 🏆 on your first post. Sorry for the trouble. Not sure if you mean you are pushing it to 7k rpm on the hose; but best to keep the rpm down low out of the water. Did the rope get into the impeller at all or just the shaft? Follow the advice of @Scottintexas. I bet you just have a small strand or two by the impeller. It doesn’t take much to create a rumble sound/vibration. I can tell when a Super tiny piece of leaf gets hung up in the tunnel. It cavitates the more you advance from idle.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I would agree...the impellers are spinning at 7000 rpm so any imbalance in the pump will cause vibration. Probably just missed some rope pieces wrapped around the shaft.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome and sorry to hear about your issue. I agree with the guys above. Probably something still in there or possibly missing silicone in that area. Hope it’s a simple fix. Good luck.

Rdavis0207

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks all. I took it apart and there was a bit of burned on rope on the shaft. There was also a plastic ring chewed up where the shaft runs back into the boat. I ordered a new joint pipe. Part 26 to compare because parts diagram does not show any seal that should have been in this area. There is loose silicon inside the joint pipe. I ran it on the hose again and I still have some rattle but might just be paranoid at this point because both motors sounded the same now. Plan to take it for a test run before sealing it all back up

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Thanks all. I took it apart and there was a bit of burned on rope on the shaft. There was also a plastic ring chewed up where the shaft runs back into the boat. I ordered a new joint pipe. Part 26 to compare because parts diagram does not show any seal that should have been in this area. There is loose silicon inside the joint pipe. I ran it on the hose again and I still have some rattle but might just be paranoid at this point because both motors sounded the same now. Plan to take it for a test run before sealing it all back up
Figured it was something causing imbalance, it'll probably be fine now.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Good deal, can't wait to get out down there!