• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine RPMs goes up but no trust on the propeller after removing a sucked rope

JC Chile

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Problem: the engine runs fine, and RPM goes up but the propel is not providing propulsion. It seems like a gear issue…where should I start?

I have a single engine 2018 AR195, I bought it with about 80 engine hours. Shipped home (Chile in South America) and on my second day on the lake, it got a sky rope wrapped around the shaft (I know….). I didn’t realize about it, so I sucked the rope all the way until the engine stalled by itself.

I was pulled to the dock and took the boat out of the water and took all the rope out of the shaft.

I launched the boat back in the water, the engine seams to run perfect but the power is not being transfer to the propeller. Making several tests in one or 2 timescthe propel gain trust and the boat worked normally. But most of the tests I did, the engine RPMs goes up but no trust on the propeller.

I removed the propel and shaft out of the housing to make sure that the propeller and the shaft are clean and in good conditions and everything seems to be fine.

I detached thee shaft to check the treads threads thinking that the torque made by the engine and the sucked rope could have damaged it but it looks fine.

Not sure what else could be causing this problem of lack of propulsion from the jet when the engine is accelerating well, and the revs are going up but no trust in the propeller.

Need the community’s help!

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It seems like there is still a piece of debris in the pump housing.

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
it is possible tho not likely that the shaft broke or the splines stripped however you indicate these look good
are there bubbles in the jet stream idling in the water?
does the midbearing seal drip or leak water into the engine bay when setting in the water?
check the cleanout plug is secure and the seal is not damaged...
check the pump is completely clear
inspect the stator housing veins aft of the impeller for damage (missing chunks or missing all together
check the clearance with a feeler gauge between the impeller and the wear ring...
check the sealant in the pump tunnel seams for torn or loose pieces
make sure the reverse gate is opening...

if you dont have a service manual get one...

thats all i can think of off the top of my head...

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Did you put the clean out plug all the way back in? If so, I'd pull the pump off the back to look for additional stuff wrapped around the shaft. Should take you 15 minutes to do, and is very easy (5 bolts and one quick release on the reverse gate).

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Does the throttle arm on your boat have a large button at the joint / connection point to the throttle assembly which engages and disengaged the forward and reverse bucket (so you can rev up the engine without putting the boat in gear so to speak)? See the black disc in the attached pic. Also make sure that the control rod is attached to the top of the bucket.

Attachments

JC Chile

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It seems like there is still a piece of debris in the pump housing.
I detached the impeller and shaft and it's all clean. no left debris. Thanks!

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Need pics of the pump and impeller to diagnose better. Take pics looking into the pump with the hood in full forward.

Seems likely that you bent the impeller blades slightly or you caused damage to the wear ring.

JC Chile

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
it is possible tho not likely that the shaft broke or the splines stripped however you indicate these look good
are there bubbles in the jet stream idling in the water?
does the midbearing seal drip or leak water into the engine bay when setting in the water?
check the cleanout plug is secure and the seal is not damaged...
check the pump is completely clear
inspect the stator housing veins aft of the impeller for damage (missing chunks or missing all together
check the clearance with a feeler gauge between the impeller and the wear ring...
check the sealant in the pump tunnel seams for torn or loose pieces
make sure the reverse gate is opening...

if you dont have a service manual get one...

thats all i can think of off the top of my head...
Thank you so much, great list of recommendations...I will do it and get back to share how it goes. I don't have a service manual, will get one!

JC Chile

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Need pics of the pump and impeller to diagnose better. Take pics looking into the pump with the hood in full forward.

Seems likely that you bent the impeller blades slightly or you caused damage to the wear ring.
yes, there is some damage on the impeller but it didt seams to bi that big. i will take better pics to share but this is what i have now

Attachments

JC Chile

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does the throttle arm on your boat have a large button at the joint / connection point to the throttle assembly which engages and disengaged the forward and reverse bucket (so you can rev up the engine without putting the boat in gear so to speak)? See the black disc in the attached pic. Also make sure that the control rod is attached to the top of the bucket.
Thanks, I will check that...not sure if my boat have that black disk. the issue is that randomly some times it engae and most of the times I tried it didn't engage to provide propulsion while the RPMS goes up

JC Chile

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

will take pics to share, Thank you so much for your help

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
yes, there is some damage on the impeller but it didt seams to bi that big. i will take better pics to share but this is what i have now
That kind of damage will cause cavitation, but you should be able to move. Acceleration will be slow, but you should be able to get up to speed. You may want to check the tunnel that the water flows through for damage.

JC Chile

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you put the clean out plug all the way back in? If so, I'd pull the pump off the back to look for additional stuff wrapped around the shaft. Should take you 15 minutes to do, and is very easy (5 bolts and one quick release on the reverse gate).
Thanks! I already took the pump out and it was clean.

JC Chile

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That kind of damage will cause cavitation, but you should be able to move. Acceleration will be slow, but you should be able to get up to speed. You may want to check the tunnel that the water flows through for damage.
Thanks ,I will check that again...on my first inspection it didn't seems to have damage on the tunnel

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Do the splines on the end of the driveshaft look good and can you turn the drive shaft with your hand and the impeller also turns? if so that isn't the problem. However there is a coupler on the intermediate bearing where the splines slide in that may be stripped

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
that impeller will cavitate bad... with a single engine boat there is no second pump to get you moving and help get water through the bad pump... order a new impeller and hang that one on your your wall or send it out for repair... inspect the wear ring for scoring groves or damage and replace as required...

JC Chile

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The cavitation makes sense...my only doubt is why when I was testing sometimes works well and others get loos and loos propulsion.

JC Chile

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do the splines on the end of the driveshaft look good and can you turn the drive shaft with your hand and the impeller also turns? if so that isn't the problem. However there is a coupler on the intermediate bearing where the splines slide in that may be stripped
will check the splines with more detail Thanks!

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The cavitation makes sense...my only doubt is why when I was testing sometimes works well and others get loos and loos propulsion.
well if you were moving even a couple of mph or were careful and slow giving it throttle you can prolly nurse it to move...

this is the junk stator on my stbd engine it cavitates horribly if i don't trail the port engine on throttle up... see the missing chunks of stator veins? once I'm moving above like 30 mph it kind of works... but t thrust is low... and it will barely move if i just use that engine... in contrast the port engine will get the boat on plane with the starboard engine idling

I built new prototype pumps but I wont have all the parts to install till thursday///

attachment - 2022-08-11T165219.379.jpgattachment - 2022-11-05T151301.428.jpgattachment - 2022-11-08T134527.633.jpg

JC Chile

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
WOW! well, it seems that cavitation could be my problem...thanks for the guidance