• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine running, no water from side.....

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’ve had this happen twice now… I always start up my engines one at time and make sure I get water out of the side holes. My starboard engine wasn’t spitting out water yesterday. A couple of weeks ago it was the same engine. I let it go for 10 or 15 seconds and then shut it off. Pulled the hose off the top of the oil cooler and I had water coming out of there. Blew on the hose and it was not blocked. Hooked up the hose and still had no water coming out. Took a short video for audio purposes only... sounds like a burping sound. (Can’t upload a .mov file). I still had my boat tied to the dock so I rev’d it up to about 2000 RPM and started getting water out. Went to idle and water stopped. I guess there’s nothing to worry about but this is the second time it’s happened on the same engine and that just doesn’t seem right. Once I was out on the lake, no issues even at idle.

Anyone else had this problem?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Usually, many times no stream at idle
As long as you get stream at higher rpm your ok

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I don't get much if any water at idle

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Have to rev it a bit and it takes 30 seconds at least most of the time.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Odd.... I’ve always seen water. In my mind, if it’s not spitting out water, there’s no flow. If I let it sit and idle for 30 minutes, I’d have to think the water is gonna be hot and overheating....?????

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
When there’s a little water it just goes out the exhaust. When I don’t see any I rev it a little then it stays running out the pee hole. If it does not come out for a little bit I always get a overheat.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I get a solid stream at idle, would concern me that the intake could be partially obstructed if only one motor is not pissing at idle.

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hows ur water pressure from ur water hose? One of the boat harbor wash downs I go to has junk water pressure and I notice need to rev engine for water to stream out the pisser. Just my thoughts.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
When there’s a little water it just goes out the exhaust. When I don’t see any I rev it a little then it stays running out the pee hole. If it does not come out for a little bit I always get a overheat.
I’ve always got a stream at idle.... except these 2 times I mentioned. Like I said, if I take off the hose connected to the top of the oil cooler, there’s water that comes out. That hose is directly connected to the pee hole on the outside of the boat. There’s prob 5-6 feet of hose and a bit of elevation but it really makes me wonder.....

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hows ur water pressure from ur water hose? One of the boat harbor wash downs I go to has junk water pressure and I notice need to rev engine for water to stream out the pisser. Just my thoughts.
Anytime I’ve ever had a hose hooked up, no issue. My issue is with boat sitting in water....

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You can't upload a video directly to here. You'll have to host it or upload it somewhere like YouTube, Vimeo, etc and then post the link here.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
If no over heat alarm and pissing at speed, no problem. My 2017 212x only dribbles at idle, occasionally nothing at idle, and yes sometimes one engine is dribbling and one is nothing at idle - this way since new off the lot. But once at speed pisses hard out both.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you're pissing hard from both holes at WOT and throwing no overheat codes I would think the pisser hose (STRBD?) may be pinched? (incomplete obstruction that makes your lose the stream only at idle)
Not too difficult to get to - under the hull cap, and just track it along to see if there is any pinching/sharp bend.

--

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
No overheats or anything. To reiterate, I've always had water out of both holes at idle right after starting both engines. Twice this year, my starboard has spit out any water. Once out of my slip, and am no longer idling, I get water from both. Just strikes me as odd that it started happening. I've removed the hose and blew it out and there's no obstruction.

I'm not super worried about it, but I'd rather see water out of both before pulling out of my slip and into open water.

satovod

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Same story here. No water at any RPM, but no overheating too.

What to check first?

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
No water at any RPM seems like a really big problem to me! On mine, the last thing the water goes through is the oil cooler. I pulled the hose off it it and was getting water there with the engine running.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

What to check first?
CHeck the external nozzles/outlets - those can often be clogged up by mud dubbers (wasps etc.) - some use a trimmer string/wire from the outside to route the obstruction.
I had that happen once, got a bunch of crap out of the pisser coming out with water after I poked around - looked like mud that wasps build.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No water at any RPM seems like a really big problem to me! On mine, the last thing the water goes through is the oil cooler. I pulled the hose off it it and was getting water there with the engine running.
Pisser streams/holes on the side of the hull are just indicators.

--

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

What to check first?
You can run some string trimmer line (plastic line) or coated stranded copper wire into the pisser from outside the boat. You likely have a nest of mud robbers or other insect in there. Sometimes it's easier doing it on the water at mid speed as the water will flush the junk out when you loosen it with the wire.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Pisser streams/holes on the side of the hull are just indicators.

--
Yeah, indicators of water flow. If there’s no water at any RPM, I’d be nervous. At least part of the system is blocked. Maybe the engine block and vital sections are still getting enough water so it’s no big deal....???? I know the oil cooler is last in line on my 242 so if there’s blockage there’s a lack of cooling there.