• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine won't start but does turn over (sort of)

Rick Rousseau

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Boat is a 2014 SX190, when I turn the key, the starter turns the motor a couple times but does not fire. I checked the batteries and both were bad so I replaced them. Still the same result, turn the key and it turns over a two or three times but then stops each time I turn the key. I'm wondering if there might be corrosion on the starter connection terminal, or maybe a bad pump ring binding the impeller? Any other suggestions?

***UPDATE*** It was the starter connection. I found the cable running to the top of the starter, wiggled it back and forth (it wasn't loose, but wasn't torqued down either) and she started right up,

Last edited:

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Glad you found it okay. That one had me stumped.

Rick Rousseau

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I posted this while I was looking at the parts diagrams to get a look at the starter. Found where the starter was hidden and went back out the boat, wiggled the connection and solved the problem. If only they were all this easy.

Justiceleague

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Boat is a 2014 SX190, when I turn the key, the starter turns the motor a couple times but does not fire. I checked the batteries and both were bad so I replaced them. Still the same result, turn the key and it turns over a two or three times but then stops each time I turn the key. I'm wondering if there might be corrosion on the starter connection terminal, or maybe a bad pump ring binding the impeller? Any other suggestions?

***UPDATE*** It was the starter connection. I found the cable running to the top of the starter, wiggled it back and forth (it wasn't loose, but wasn't torqued down either) and she started right up,
I have the same problem but with only one engine. I'm thinking that your fix was for both engines to start. Any suggestions?

Rick Rousseau

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the same problem but with only one engine. I'm thinking that your fix was for both engines to start. Any suggestions?
Mine (SX190) only has one motor. This problem came back and turned out to be the impeller housing had swollen and was preventing the impeller from turning.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mine (SX190) only has one motor. This problem came back and turned out to be the impeller housing had swollen and was preventing the impeller from turning.
That means changing out the wear ring. Also check your impeller for damage. You may feel rolled over edges on the impeller.

Justiceleague

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank you- I will check this out today.

Rick Rousseau

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That means changing out the wear ring. Also check your impeller for damage. You may feel rolled over edges on the impeller.
Yes, I'm changing out both wear ring and the impeller.

Reactions: Gym

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, I'm changing out both wear ring and the impeller.
I understand, from a previous poster, that Riva makes a solid stainless steel component wear ring that won't suffer from galvanic corrosion. You may want to check that out.

kennetht

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm having the same issue. Mine is a 2013 ar190. Is this similar to what your entire sounded like when trying to start?

I had absolutely no issues last season and when I ran the boat last prior to my winterizing it. However I went to just it last week for the first time and no luck at all getting it to start.