• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Engine Wouldnt Start...

CDENsomnia

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Alright just wanted to get thoughts on a situation I had today at the lake. We went out to a cove and sat for a couple hours swimming. Decided to do some tubing...at one point we shut the engines down to pull a rope in and when we went to start the port side engine it just cranked and cranked. I let the engine sit for a couple minutes and then cranked it a couple times it finally fired up. The rest of the day the engine was fine but I did notice a very small amount of smoke coming from the exhaust.

From my experience with a fuel injected engine a little smoke isnt necassarily a bad thing but its also not a good thing either. Anyone have this happen? Bad fuel or something. I am going to put bottle of stabil in and see if that helps at all.

Was it a hot day? Maybe vapor lock. Are you trying stabil because this is last years gas? You may want to try sea foam if your thinking dirty injectors..

I've experienced this as well. The starboard immediately fires up - always. But every once in a while the port engine takes a couple of cranks. Not always, just once in a while.
Never noticed any smoke though.

I've found that when that happens to me I exercise all of the safety switches and it seems to help. (Lanyard, cleanout, neutral & sometimes ignition switch with the battery shut down).

Actually I think its a 1.8 thing. I dont remember which side but I had this happen to me a few times last summer.

Every once in awhile my port engine starts a little harder. It is always the port engine. I just figure it is the engine. If I only had one I wouldn't really notice. I haven't had any smoke come out of the exhaust. That would worry me a little. When you say smoke was it there briefly after the engine started or the rest of the day? Was the smoke white or black and how much?

I have had the same thing on my port engine as well. It's happened about 3 times. I leave it sit for a few minutes (long enough for electronics to reboot) and it then fires up. I always get a puff of white spoke when it does start after not starting.

It has already happened to me as well. Like everyone else waited a minute and the engine fired up. I did notice a small amount of smoke but nothing concerning.

I believe mine occurs when the boat was well warmed up. Last summer there was some chatter about this but no one really had a reason

Same here. But nothing since the last oil change, so I figured it was just that.

But @itsdgm has good advice. I have freaked previously over my non starting boat only to figure out a throttle got bumped a hair up out of neutral... We shall not recount the details of the freaking, for embarrassment's sake.

I've had happen as well. Always after a long run or when its well warmed up. I think I only remember it happening twice. I remember some chatter about it as well. Seems to be a 1.8 thing. Some people concluded they thought it was vapor lock.

Yep sounds like it's something that just happens. The puff of smoke was white and it was just for a few seconds after. It's raining here today but I might pull the plugs just to see what I see. It didn't seem to be a switch or throttle issue since I didn't touch any of them. Just waited a few minutes and she cranked up.

Wonder why it's always a port engine?

This has happened to me since new. Not often, maybe once every few outings, and the engine will always eventually start, and then runs great the rest of the day. For me, it happens on both sides with no rhyme or reason. It does not concern me much anymore, but my crew always gives me that WTF look. I do wish there was an explanation.

Can't remember it ever happening to me. It almost sounds like a bit of moisture and steam.

I believe this is, indeed, vapor lock. The white puff of smoke you're referring to is unburned fuel. It's most prevalent on hot days. Of course, who the he'll boats on cold days? We use to get this frequently in fuel injected aircraft on hot summer days. At least with the aircraft you could kill the fuel and ignition, fully advance the throttles and crank the engine to clear the problem. Can't do that with our boats. Just have to wait a bit.

It can be a bit unnerving wondering if it's gonna start. I'm not used to cranking the starter for more than like 3 seconds

@Evil Sports I agree with you! It always gives me a slight freak out moment when this has happened. As long as it starts its not big del but the day it doesn't restart will just tick me off. ;)

Back