• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Engine Wouldnt Start...

Went out today. Happened to me again. Port engine of course. Let it sit a bit and it started right up.

I didn't think it likely it was the oil change. Just kinda hoping... And it did stop for a bit. Well, that theory is out the window.

Happened to me twice yesterday but was the starboard engine. Once I waited about about 15 sec it started. It happened when I was pulling away form the dock. I had to use one engine to move away from the dock. Once in the clear tried again and the second engine fired up. Same engine both times. Just had 10 hour service completed last week.

I think Gym is correct that the little puff of white smoke is unburned fuel. These boats are very sensitive to the condition of the spark plugs. I used to have this problem more often and now I change the spark plugs every year. I rarely have any issues with starting or performance now.

Hmm... feel free to use the internets to confirm but according to my recollection, and if correct generally speaking:

White smoke = coolant
Blue smoke = oil
Black smoke = extra fuel

That being said, easily gauging the color of the smoke isn't necessarily a given. One would hope that yes, the puff is unburned fuel from the cranking but we'd probably have to have a good picture of the smoke to judge, which also wouldn't necessarily be easy (or convenient LOL) to get...

I change my plugs each year and so they are brand new. When I get a chance I am going to pull the plugs and see what they look like. That might give some indication on what is happening.

Do you use pump gas on the way to the lake or treated marine fuel either on your own or bought at the lake?

Run your blowers longer before you try to start, it is a vapor lock. It did it to me on the 230 occasionally too. If I would get fresh air in the engine compartment, it would fire off just fine. It is because the engine is warm, there is a tad of water in the aft bilge, the water vapor in the exhaust and water box migrates back up the exhaust manifold and puts a huge amount of humidity in the combustion chamber. Fresh air is the key. If your in a hurry, just open the engine hatch for a minute and then fire up. They will fire up, just let them breath longer before you try.

I also use pump gas with no ethenol. I still wonder if there is ethenol though even when they say there isnt. Some pumps are labeled the ethenol content and others arent. I found a station that says they have no ethenol and fill up at that station only.

It is a mild vapor lock. The hotter the engines are the more likely it is to do it. The 1.8's seem to be more prone than the olderMR1's. Like Mel said run your blowers more frequently, will keep the engine bay cooler. We surf my 2012 212 alot, and surfing puts the engines under a heavy load all the time, so they run on the high side of the temperature range. Get em good and heated under heavy load, stop and shut down to switch riders, the heat causes fuel in the rail to vapor a bit. Since these fuel rails have no return, they dead end and can suffer vapor lock.

On my boat it's the Starboard that does it most, the reason is my fresh air inlet into the engine bay is on the port side, so the starboard side doesn't have the same airflow meaning the port side of the engine bay is every so slightly cooler than the starboard side. After dealing with this frequently while surfing, on really hot days, I run the blower while we are switching riders or switching sides, also, I fire up the port engine first, which bumps the system voltage up a smidge, which helps eek out just a bit more fuel pressure for starting the stubborn starboard side, all of which improve the situation.

I wonder if the CARB boats suffer from this. I noticed a charcoal canister in the port battery area so maybe there are returns from the fuel rails. Maybe this could finally be a benefit of a CARB boat!!! I've never had a hard time re-starting the engines on mine.

Good point on vapor lock. I had a 65 mustang that would vapor lock on occasion. I have not heard of it on fuel injected engines but it makes sense.

Back