• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engines won’t start, please help

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What a pain!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How did you realize it? How many tries?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just so everyone is aware, the switches in the wet locker have two settings, if it is pushed in just far enough, the engines will turn over but the ignition will not fire. I found this out last year when I had someone else put a rope away in the wet locker and the boat would turn over but not start, then when some friends were trying to help me diagnose it were standing on the wet locker door and compressed the switched enough to fire it up... and as soon as they got back on their boat, the boat cut off due to no spark.....
This is by design. The hatch interlock switch is a 4 pole 2 way switch. When in the closed position the switch completes the loop on one od the wires needed to start the engines preventing them from cranking when the hatch is open. When in the open postion those wires are disconnected and the ingition is connected to ground killing the engines. One of the better engineered saftey features on a yammie. Of course when the switch height is not adjusted properly or becomes out of adjustment it can lead to a lot of head scratching. All of the analog stuff they got right over the years certainly helped them to become a market leader. Their first foray into human interface digital controls (connext 1.0) was a slap on top job that they hopefully learned from. Time will tell with connext 2.0 if that is the case.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just so everyone is aware, the switches in the wet locker have two settings, if it is pushed in just far enough, the engines will turn over but the ignition will not fire. I found this out last year when I had someone else put a rope away in the wet locker and the boat would turn over but not start, then when some friends were trying to help me diagnose it were standing on the wet locker door and compressed the switched enough to fire it up... and as soon as they got back on their boat, the boat cut off due to no spark.....
thanks PaulyB, That's the first time I've ever heard anyone mention that, I'm going to try it next time out by manually pushing down on the switches,

mbjetboater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for all the great info everyone. I finally had time to look at it today. I called the mechanic that did the pre-purchase inspection and he asked me pull the engine cover and I immediately saw the issue. When they did the compression test his helper forgot to attach the leads back to all of the spark plugs (both engines)! Lol small mistake and easily fixed and we’re back on the water!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Negative points to the mechanic for not starting the engine after the test to make sure all was left working as it was when he started...otherwise excellent news all is working great after this minor adjustment.