• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Everybody list your problems with scarab jet boats here

Blake

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I am compiling a list of everybody that is having problems with scarab jet boats so please state your problem and say if it has been fixed or not. I will be submitting this to the manufacture when I get a big enough list.

Blake

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
When we first received the boat we had problems with it cavitating and making the engine overheat and then shut down. Took it to a scarab dealer in the Chicago IL area for repairs. They applied a sealant around the ride plate. This was at the end of the 2014 boating season so we could not confirm that year that it was fixed.

This summer it was still cavitating but not overheating when applying full throttle and would not even run in ski mode 5. I Noticed that the reverse basket was not fully locking up when going in forward gear. I adjusted the linkage to make it lock in the up position and that helped out a lot we were now able to use ski mode 5 but still were having cavitation problems. Took it to a scarab dealer in Missouri to get looked at again they said they could not find what was causing the problem so they just reprogrammed the engine.
Now the last time and only the third time we were able to use the boat cause of it being worked on all the time I have noticed that it still cavitates. At 8000 rpm when the boat first starts going under full throttle it starts to cavitate and loses load on the engine and makes the engine to bounce up to 9000 rpm for about one or two seconds then comes back down to 8000 rpm and then stops cavitating about one second after the rpms come down to 8000.

That is the main problem that we have been with this boat besides a couple more that I have not been satisfied with. When in ski mode 5 while pulling a wake boarder and 3 people in the boat it has been able to pull them out of the water now and not like before when it was cavitating bad but I have noticed when the speed is set to 21 mph the boat would only get up to 15 to 17 mph after about 10 - 15 mins of pulling the boarder and would never get to the set 21 mph. The Scarab sales rep that I talked to a couple of days ago said that the ski mode is only for beginners and he never uses it for what he does but I don't think that should be right because when you are wake boarding you want a set speed to cruise at to give you the best wake that the boat can produce and if ski mode cant do this this the boat is pointless for wake boarding even though it was advertised to us this feature as a waterboarding type of boat. Another problem I've notice is about five times I have heard a loud rattle around 2000 rpm and idle and would not let me increase engine speed above 2000 rpm then I heard a loud bang and finally let me have full engine speed.

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
@Blake This is a re-post from a different thread. Here is my story.

I had a similar issue with my 195, 4 hours on the engine, and we found that it was the locking nut on the impeller came loose. This was after a water test. WARNING!: At 14 hours I was running down the Patuxent River and the boat just quit, left me sitting in the middle of the river drifting. BoatUS towed me back to the launch and I loaded the boat and took it back to the dealer. The mechanic said that the when the locking nut came off, at 4 hours on the engine, it pushed the drive system into the main bearing and it was a matter of time before the bearing failed. BRP replaced the entire propulsion system in my boat to include the super charger. The only good thing about my situation is when it happened, right before I was going to put it up last fall. They had it most of the winter. No issues to date. With the new engine I started back at 0 hours and have 14 hours now. No issues so far!

Blake

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
@Slugger55 that is great reposts are welcome. Keep them coming everyone.

PapaBear

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Isn't there a way to move some of the other posts and just combine them here?

JusFlyinBy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey Blake, I've got a few. A lot of mine are more feedback than problems, but if you're still interested in sharing with them, here you are:

I had the boat out on the water for the first time and in only 30 minutes, the bimini screws holding the posts to the boat fell out, causing the bimini to collapse. I figured the dealer just never properly tightened them, so I replaced the screws and cranked them in nice and tight. Took the boat out for a second time and after a couple hours on the water, I towed the boat home. Somewhere on the ride home, one of the screws backed itself out again and collapsed the bimini. This time around I put locktite on the screws and thick rubber washers, but seriously, they should either come with locktite, or go with a pin and lock system like other boats and forget screws.

The wet storage on the swim platform fills with water and doesn't drain. This happened on both 215's I had. I can blow air through the holes and force water through, so they don't appear to be clogged. It's like they have a trap built in that only allows them to drain at a certain angle, except I apparently never get the boat at that appropriate angle and therefore always have my storage topped off with water.

I've only attempted to use Docking Mode once, and The CPU got stuck in that mode. I had to cycle the engines off and on, push the throttle full forward and back a few times before it finally gave me full throttle again. I've been afraid to put it back ever since (Since it's kind of unnecessary anyway).

Some of the stereo buttons didn't work right at delivery. I've asked dealer to replace the stereo, hasn't been completed yet.

There's no drain under the middle front bow seat cushion. It rains, fills with water and no way to get it out. You'd think all compartments would be self draining, even if into the hull for the bilge.

Trailer cover comes with no instructions, boat manual provides no instructions, and I'm a dope that can't figure out how to use the vinyl straps that are connected to the bow and cockpit rods (That don't snap into place on the cover like the 195's apparently do).

Trailer cover opening is barely useable. If you need to get into that boat with the cover on, you better be a small person who's flexible. It needs to be taller more than wider, so you can get up to the seats and thru.

The right side trailer brake light filled with water the very first time I put the boat in. I asked the dealer to address it under warranty, haven't had the boat in yet.

The docking lights seem to always be filled with moisture. Haven't decided if I want to raise a stink about it as I suspect no matter what they put in, they will have the same issue.

This one may be BRP's fault, but they put Supercharged/Intercooled stickers on a N/A engine, causing a lot of confusion and headaches for me and the dealer.

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Hi All, I'm sorry to hear your issues. I've got a few of my own. I've got a 195 HO Impulse.

1. The Sony stero usually has a blue backlit face, but there are random occasions where it turns red and for a split second flashes a warning message we're not fast enough to read.

2. The post scews on the bimini top backed themselves out under hard winds with the bimini top open. I guess from the ratteling the wind was causing, but honestly they really aren't in there that well.

3. 10hrs an engine light turned on, no idea yet, will update you later on after I get the details from the service people in two weeks.

4. A little bit of water in the passenger side locker area where the stero hookups are.

5. If you stretch your front mooring cover tight there is a section cut out at the very tip of the bow so you can see the Scaab logo. This cutout section lets water into the boat during a rain.

6. The plexiglass on the instrument cluster is cracking from the middle top. I baby the boat, there's no need for that.

7. The seat anchors aren't the best quality, they sound like hell squeeking with a little bit of chop.

8. The latch to open the engine comparemtnet under the seat sticks, the spring in it doesn't work that well to reset the latch. You have to manually reset it before it will lock.

9. The ski locker design doesn't allow about an inch of water to ever drain into the bilge.

If I have any more issues I'll add them. Thanks.

Master

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I can't keep a Good coat of wax on my boat...it's either because I run it in salt water or it's because of all the ladies rubbing their good parts on it;)
Scarab is going have to do a recall, Im having the same issue.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can't keep a Good coat of wax on my boat...it's either because I run it in salt water or it's because of all the ladies rubbing their good parts on it;)
Makes me want to buy a Scarab just to have the problem.

Eric195

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
First off i want to start by saying i love my 195 HOI. with that being said i have had a few issues nothing major just a pain:

1. The bolt that held up the tower wiggled out and fell in the water. has since been replaced under warranty and set with lock tight

2. The joint in the front of the tower makes an awful creaking noise.

3. The docking light doesn't work.

4. The tower light doesn't work. found out both of these when the wife and i went out on a Friday night it's good the inside lights will light up a small house.

5. The windows have a horrible alignment and the door fell through.

6. THe 25 hour maintenance light came on simultaneously with the check engine light. I'm hoping this isn't a big deal.

7. The plastic seat anchors suck! broke 3 already dealership replaced them with nice heavy duty metal ones. now to brake the other 7 hahaha...

I dropped it off Monday and I'm praying to have it back by Friday. We're finally hitting 100 degrees Saturday and the lakes the only place i want to be.
bo.jpg

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Do the chapparells have same/similar issues or do they have slightly better quality control?
I would like the best maker of these new boats using the brp stuff to really stand out against the rest.

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
My tower on driver side makes a horrible rattling hum at higher rpms. So does the window. Any fix to this?

Eric195

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
My tower on driver side makes a horrible rattling hum at higher rpms. So does the window. Any fix to this?
i had a bad clicking/rattling sound going on with my tower. It ended up being a missing piece in the tower joint where it hinges to fold down.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gents,

This is a great idea. I know there are some dealers that come here to learn more of what has been happening out in the real world with our boats. I can move some threads, and make them links in the first post of the thread, or I can sticky this thread, and move it to the repository. Up to you guys..

Now one thing about how to properly build knowledge based threads like this, try to keep the tone informative. Be professional, and avoid making your posts sound argumentative.

Also,

@PapaBear Collinite Fleetwax is your friend! I used to be on salt water all the time. This wax was a lifesaver. Also CRC 656 on your engine bay, and jet drive.

Muck

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I have the 165HO(250 hp supercharged) and the engine can't hold a steady rpm between about 2500- 3100 rpms.
At higher or lower rpms it runs fine, but otherwise it jumps about a 100 rpms. Don't know if that is when the supercharger starts to kick in or not.
I had the same problem with the boat cover, as one of the other commenters.
No directions on where the straps need to go for the pole/s. Not sure if I'm supposed to have one or two poles because they gave me two pole covers.
My boat is a 165HO but the directions that came with the boat and on the web site were for a 195. Directions are terrible and don't fit my boat.
Right trailer light originally filled with water and the bulb blew. I replaced the bulb and screwed thing tight. I have not blown a bulb since that time.
No way to lock the trailer to the vehicle. I carry a cable lock, to lock it to the truck, because I'd hate to come back to the boat area and have no trailer or be parked somewhere and be missing boat and trailer.
Not sure if it is normal for small jets, but the boat catches air over almost any size wake/wave at low speeds. I have to back off the throttle, 10 mph or less.
I'm afraid that if I'm pulling a skier, which I have not done yet, I'll be flying half the time, unless the lake is smooth. Is this something that everyone just gets used to?

Rtimleck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I've messaged Scarab and asked if they look at this site for constructive criticism on there products and they said they do. It Sounds Like Everyone Is having the same problems collectively and something needs to be done on there end to keep there customers Happy with there purchase and wanting to stay a valued customer in years to come. As of now I'm looking at other options when it come time to upgrading in the near future.

Bry-n-Jess-165/HOI

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I have the 165HO(250 hp supercharged) and the engine can't hold a steady rpm between about 2500- 3100 rpms.
At higher or lower rpms it runs fine, but otherwise it jumps about a 100 rpms. Don't know if that is when the supercharger starts to kick in or not.
I had the same problem with the boat cover, as one of the other commenters.
No directions on where the straps need to go for the pole/s. Not sure if I'm supposed to have one or two poles because they gave me two pole covers.
My boat is a 165HO but the directions that came with the boat and on the web site were for a 195. Directions are terrible and don't fit my boat.
Right trailer light originally filled with water and the bulb blew. I replaced the bulb and screwed thing tight. I have not blown a bulb since that time.
No way to lock the trailer to the vehicle. I carry a cable lock, to lock it to the truck, because I'd hate to come back to the boat area and have no trailer or be parked somewhere and be missing boat and trailer.
Not sure if it is normal for small jets, but the boat catches air over almost any size wake/wave at low speeds. I have to back off the throttle, 10 mph or less.
I'm afraid that if I'm pulling a skier, which I have not done yet, I'll be flying half the time, unless the lake is smooth. Is this something that everyone just gets used to?
Ya, they only give the 195 instructions with the cover, kinda stupid I know. It took me weeks of trial/error fit testing my cover for a decent fit to come around, I've 2 poles. It's a really nice cover Once you get the hang of it, It's a pain to get on while it's in the water but doable. The rpm bouncing up/down is from the supercharger. I had a few of my trailer lights get foggy with moisture so the dealer replaced under warranty. It's an awesome quick lil jet boat but not recommended to be going balls out in really rough seas. It's my preference to fly around on calmer water days.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

PapaBear

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Listen...
The fact that the manufacturer can't even prevent the F... ING Cleat bolts from backing out SPEAKS VOLUMES about quality.