• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

EXCELLENT REVIEW OF THE TOP 10 MARINE SPEAKERS - Good Advice !

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I would like to QUOTE directly from JL Audio's own web page ...........
Rather than use rhetoric, here is the URL for this web page: http://www.jlaudio.com/header/Company/About JL Audio/719853
Here is the pertinent spot:

" ... Supporting our engineering efforts is an outstanding group of dedicated production and logistics professionals who make sure that JL Audio's factories around the world, and here in the U.S., maintain our high quality standards. Yes, you read that last part correctly... we build many of our speakers right here in the U.S.A ..." - Editorial note : It said "MANY" - not all. And I guess this means NOT everything from JL is built here. With the low cost of off-shore overseas manufacturing costs, I'ld be really surprised to learn differently.

Let the facts remain: There are many EXCELLENT choices in Marine speakers and electronics, and please don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Those of you who own and are pleased with your Fusion, Rockford Fosgate, Kicker, WetSounds or Pioneer speakers and/or electronics, GOOD !!!!!!!

And this comes from someone who both owns and uses JL Audio speakers & Electronics, Rockford-Fosgate speakers and electronics, AND Pioneer speakers and electronics in my boats (Pioneer in my cars).

Y'all play nicely now in the sandbox, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Earmark Marine

Jet Boat Junkie
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Not every JL Audio speaker is built in the USA, but every JL Audio MARINE speaker IS built in the USA.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Yes, and that statement is made by JL Audio. You'll also find this information stated in one of the JL Audio on-line videos. It's not an assumption. And the term 'marine' was part of the initial statement.

Certainly the issue is not that JL Audio or Wetsounds or any other specific brand is the only one to consider. There are many different price points, many different applications, and many different subjective opinions on what sounds good to the individual. No single manufacturer can cover all these bases. To me, the 'Best' of anything has to include some qualifications.

For me, the 'ISSUE' in this thread is conclusions being drawn based on flawed information.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This is why I love these forums. There is such a wealth of knowledge to be shared. I agree that there is no one best speaker out there because like others have said, you need to choose your audio components based on whay sounds best to your ears. Thanks for the knowledge guys.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the very informative post Mikey! But I can't bring myself to click on that link.

My Polk Momo's have served me well and hopefully will continue to do the job for a few more years. It drive me nuts to see all this new technology, I love gizmos and gadgets and I'd be buying one of everything to hit the market if not for my wonderful self control (wife).

I'm still running the stock head unit....yes, it's alive and well. Of course everything else was swapped out a long time ago and I've added a few trick things to let us enjoy all the digital music on our phones, etc.:cool:

Gumbeaux

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Polk MM651UM (gold award winner)
I replaced the four stock speakers in my boat and added 2 on the swim deck.
Put in switches to select (swim port or bow port) and (Swim starboard or stearn starboard)
NO AMP and boat sounds great for our family now.
Did these Polks drop right in with no mods? Thinking about a couple new speakers and as small amp...

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Did these Polks drop right in with no mods? Thinking about a couple new speakers and as small amp...
Simple replacement, @Gumbeaux. You need to change the Speakers' wire end clips or solder the wires directly. There is no need to run new speaker cable/wiring.
The Polks will most likely use the same grill screw holes. JL's may or may not depending, on which grill you purchase.
Be careful and maintain correct POLARITY - If you take off a wire from a + terminal, make sure it goes back on the new speaker's + terminal.
Good Luck, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited:

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It is my understanding that the Polk db series and MM series are interchangeable as far as screw placement goes. That said, the JL's and other brands may also use the same hole pattern, I just don't know.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is my understanding that the Polk db series and MM series are interchangeable as far as screw placement goes. That said, the JL's and other brands may also use the same hole pattern, I just don't know.
The JL MX650s have a six hole pattern, the Polk db and MM series have four hole patterns.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The JL MX650s have a six hole pattern, the Polk db and MM series have four hole patterns.
It depends of which GRILL pattern you purchase for the JL's !
Cheers, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It depends of which GRILL pattern you purchase for the JL's !
Cheers, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA
Ah, good point. The traditional, Classic Grilles have a four hole pattern. The Sport Grilles have a six hole pattern.
My bad. Thanks for the correction, @MikeyL

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You're most welcome, @GTBRMC.
Have a great week ! :winkingthumbsup"

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I just put an inexpensive 6 channel Pyle marine amp in and noticed an immediate improvement in clarity at idle and wot. I also noticed that my speakers are looking and sounding old. I've decided to replace them all but based on the price, that I had a good experience with fusion speakers before and because they ranked second of ten in the review, I'm going to go that route sound unheard. I just wish I could find them for the $60 something described in the review, $90 a pair is the best I e seen so far. Granted though, I'm not trying to entertain the whole lake or hear music as I'm being towed behind the boat, just get clean and clear sound at anchor and while underway without spending next year's mod budget this year.

Master-Spud

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautique
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you are purchasing just based on that review I'd be a little careful... I'm not saying it's wrong, but I also don't put a lot of faith in review sites like that. Personally if looking for on a budget, I'd go with something a little more tried and true like the Polk db651's. Which most on here seem to really like for the price. But with any speakers make sure you have some form of amp pushing them!

Edit: too early in the morning, see you already have an amp, disregard that last part lol

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I met a yjb member on the water last year with what I believe were Polk speakers installed in his 242ls. The speakers had an open grille and the cone/main material between the surround and center was a gold color. Anyway, the gold on the swim deck speakers was flaking off and looked like crap. He attributed it to sun damage and they could not have been more than a few years old. That experience alone would prevent me from buying those speakers or any with an open grille design. I want sturdy closed grilles on my boat's speakers.

I just did a spot check and the best prices I could find on the polks was $137 on the fusions it was $107 (both including shipping). Maybe the polks are worth the extra $30 per pair but that's $90 for three pairs too me and I'd end up with a grille style I don't like. Finally there is the service after the sale aspect. I had 4" fusions in the swim deck of my last yamaha jet boat, didn't install the grille correctly on one and subsequently lost it on the water. They didn't sell the grilles separately so I called fusion directly. I told them my story and the only question they asked was what my mailing address is. I had a new and completely free grille in my hands before the following weekend. Given the above, especially the way fusion treated me, I don't mind buying the fusion 6021s that appear in the review even if the review is not completely accurate. I can say with certainty that they got the pricing wrong on at least the polks and fusions.

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My whole boat is full of Rockford Fosgate Amps, speakers, tower speakers, and a sub... Sounds great, super clear, nice bass, and I can hear the towers behind the boat at rope length.. even running wide open.. my kids tell me to turn it down..

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just some food for thought on the whole toptenreview... I don't mean to start an argument if the site is legit or not, but some contrast is always good.

http://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/www.toptenreviews.com
Most such review sites, like this one and others sometimes referenced here like boattest.com, can provide valuable info for the consumer provided he understands the business model they operate under.
Specifically, they tend to use an "advertorial" model, where it is very difficult to distinguish between paid endorsement (advertisement) and independent testing & review (editorial).

A couple of key tipoffs that a review site may not be completely legit:
  • Nearly every review is glowing and any criticism is minor and not core to the buying decision (ref: like boattest's approach)
  • Unchanged products are rated dramatically differently from year to year (ref: like toptenreview's marine speaker lists)
Again, such sites can be useful (both example sites were part of my research in making purchasing decisions on my SX-230 and my stereo build out, for example), but they may well have more than a bit of bias...
These sites are NOT Consumer Reports, for sure.

All this is in IMHO, of course.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just some food for thought on the whole toptenreview... I don't mean to start an argument if the site is legit or not, but some contrast is always good.

http://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/www.toptenreviews.com
1) Thank you. You really got to me thinking, since the "validity" is kinda like totally not there right now. Like the JL MX650-CCX's are not even included ! The redicules !
2) It does now appear to be $$$ driven by paid mentions.

Subsequently, I have now edited the start of this thread to include your comment, if you do not mind. And I thank you for finding it.
Many Best Wishes your way, @Master-Spud .......... Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

mgabsa

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Gumbeaux not sure if you would consider this a modification, but; I have the same boat you do and the original speakers are 7" and the Polks are 6.5". I didn't have to modify the speaker hole, but; I did have to drill new speaker screw holes. Overall, a simple task which I think is worth it. The original speakers were not very good in the '12 LS.