• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Exhaust issue

Steve L

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Toward the end of last season, my port engine became noticeably louder than my starboard engine. I checked the engine compartment for loose exhaust clamps and found nothing. The engine runs normally otherwise. Where else can I check? I see many posts about exhaust clamps failing, but no pictures of the location of the clamps. Is there any place else I can check? Maybe by the cleanout ports? Pictures would help.

2016 Yamaha 242 Limited S

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Its funny you posted this today because today i took out my boat and before i left the house i started both engine as i always do and noticed the port engine exhaust was louder as well. It ran normal as always

Steve L

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I want to start getting her ready for the season. Not sure if warranty will cover it, so I would like to know if it can be fixed...

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can you tell where the sound is coming from with cover open
Engine bay
Exhaust by jets

You should have a man hole between clean out plugs that allows you to look down towards the water boxes-mufflers that have more clamps

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'd check between these man holes. Remove the tray and have a peek while the engines are running.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You need to bypass the shutoff switches that kill the engine when the compartment door is open.

My louder engine exhaust is from the exit out the back

Steve L

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Can you tell where t sound is coming from with cover open
Engine bay
Exhaust by jets

You should have a man hole between clean out plugs that allows you to look down towards the water boxes-mufflers that have more clamps
When I uncover her spring prep, in'll check.

Steve L

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You need to bypass the shutoff switches that kill the engine when the compartment door is open.

My louder engine exhaust is from the exit out the back
How would I bypass those switches?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How would I bypass those switches?
Tape those with the button "pressed in", may need some stronger tape. Or use something like a tooth pick, but I would be gentle, those switches are not very strong.

--