• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Expected speeds for a 2020 SX 190

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How high does the 190 rev, is 7300 rpm the max?
Should be able to get to 7,800. I think that's the rev limiter in the ECU. I regularly see 7,650-7,700.

JohnOntario

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good to know, thanks. So based
Should be able to get to 7,800. I think that's the rev limiter in the ECU. I regularly see 7,650-7,700.
Wow...ok so there might be some truth to that break in period on the ECU. I do not get close to 7650 now. Thanks for that info...

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good to know, thanks. So based

Wow...ok so there might be some truth to that break in period on the ECU. I do not get close to 7650 now. Thanks for that info...
I don't think the Yamaha ECU limits revs at any point. If you're not getting full revs now, you most likely never will.

First thing to check is the air filter, ensure you have good grease in both drive bearings, and make sure you don't have interference between the impeller and the wear ring.

Also, what elevation are you at? I'm typically around 500ft or so. If you're above 1k ft or so, then you can lose some power and associated revs.

JohnOntario

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
OK....not what the dealer stated, but also sounded like the dealer was guessing. Elevation is 351. Air filter is fine, checked it 2 days ago. 18 hours on this boat. Pretty much brand new. Thanks for the additional info....going up this Thur and will take it back to the dealer to get them to further check it out. First going to verify with GPS on speed and check speedo on boat.... I sent a note to Yamaha and asked a bunch of questions. If they respond will post that response.

CaTiRo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wasn't there a throttle cable adjustment needed on some boats to get the full rpm range.

JohnOntario

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Correct. Dealer adjusted throttle cable end of last season. I guess why I now can go 35mph and at one point got to 36....the mystery continues. Keep you posted.

CaTiRo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Odd how some 190s rev to low 7k whereas others can hit high 7k RPMs. The lack of RPMs would result in lower speed. I understand this issue at higher altitude.

Gunner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have 2018 190. Usually around 38 to 39 on GPS, but varies based on several factors. 42ish in perfect conditions. I did the ribbon delete which helped a bit and seemed to give the engine a throated, less whiney sound. Boat cruises great in the 25 to 33 range. My is older hull design than yours.

jeffrt

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just ran my 2012 the other night and got 40.8 on GPS. Almost out of fuel and 2 people on board. Just passed 200 hours on it now.

JohnOntario

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great. Thanks for sharing.

Bjames21

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2021 AR190 and my best so far was 39mph, calm water, 0 elevation, with 4 people all weighing under 155lbs and 90% full tank. No mods yet either!
Update:
I was able to get up to 42.8 according to my Conntext. I was solo with around 1/2 tank. Calm brackish water 0 elevation.IMG_1533.jpg

bigsapper

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As noted above my best (41mph) was at about the 11-15 hour mark. Last year, with 2 adults and about 3/4 tank, I was typically getting 38mph noted by GPS, as the boat's speedo was off.

This year I'm not able to push over 34mph. I'm thinking it might be due to the Cobra Jet fins I had installed toward the end of the season last year.

Also, I don't recall seeing RPMs over 7,200. I've not seen any comfirmation as to redline on the latest models.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How high does the 190 rev, is 7300 rpm the max?
I think rev limiter is up closer to 7,800. I regularly hit 7,600-7,650 on mine. Takes cool weather, and light load to get there. Had 3 adults and 2 kids and a dog aboard yesterday, was 7,550 at WOT. I'm boating at 580-ish ft asl

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think rev limiter is up closer to 7,800. I regularly hit 7,600-7,650 on mine. Takes cool weather, and light load to get there. Had 3 adults and 2 kids and a dog aboard yesterday, was 7,550 at WOT. I'm boating at 580-ish ft asl
The 2018 hull is smaller and faster. My 2019 got to 40 a couple of times in the cool spring (7550 rpm). I've done the ribbon mod and got another 100 rpm. But also added Cobra fins, Bimini up (sheathed not extended), and hotter weather. I get 37 if I'm lucky, lightly loaded, 900 ft AMSL.