• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sx190

Blwalters

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’ve got the SX 190 also, 2019. currently 45 hours. I’ve pulled my 215lb buddy on a tube and easily had him flapping in the wind lol... don’t get discouraged it’s pretty good boat after the small kinks are sorted. My daughter really doesn’t like to speed much so we cruise pretty slow but when I’m alone, I can reach 41-42 on calm water with fairly full tank. 38 is pretty much a regular top speed minimum. Maybe Yamaha finally put something in these 2020 computer to limit rpms during break in, who knows .

when I’m alone I’d cruise at 26-28mph as that’s the sweet spot for me but it’ll do full throttle all day I’m sure if I needed to.
Interesting theory, never thought about a limiter. We’re taking the boat back in the morning so they can fix the 1/2 page of warranty items, hopefully They’ll find some issue with the motor/propulsion. Just can’t believe it takes 7000 rpm’s to run 28 mph.

Maineiac

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Interesting theory, never thought about a limiter. We’re taking the boat back in the morning so they can fix the 1/2 page of warranty items, hopefully They’ll find some issue with the motor/propulsion. Just can’t believe it takes 7000 rpm’s to run 28 mph.
What’s on your list of warranty items?

Blwalters

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What’s on your list of warranty items?
Well let’s see, mounting cleat for the table fell off, latch that holds motor cover shut snapped off while making our second trip to the lake, you CAN NOT return the ladder to storage from inside the boat. Had to get out in 70 degree water to get it to stow. There’s a large “wrinkle” in the glass of the windshield. Cup holder cap disappeared on the back of the boat first run on the lake. Front windshield seal is bulging out like a screw is loose in the frame behind it. Biggest one is just no power. That may just me the nature of the motor (1.8 HO) I’m a bass boat guy, this boat was to be our family play boat. I know it’s night and day between my 200 Yamaha outboard and the SX 190 but the sales pitch was I’d have no problem with cruising mid 30’s. Hell, according to electronics I’m getting 2.7 mpg at 28 mph. Just can’t be right.

Gunner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have 80 hours on our 2018 Ar190. Have had zero quality issues,other than debris in the bilge , guess Yamaha doesnt have a vaccum at the factory. After ribbon delete speed has never been below high 30's and is usually low 40's per GPS. We boat in brackish river and salt water bay. The boat really handles chop and wakes very well for a 19 foot boat. One thing I wish I had was hinged seats as I am finding wear spots on the seat corners from taking them in and out. Based on all the complaints I see on the Connect system I feel lucky to have analog gauges. As for preventive maintenance I frequently check all hoses and fittings for loose hardware and apply conditioner to the seats often. I also apply silicon spray to metal surfaces to inhibit rust from developing. Would I buy this boat again?...absolutely. The 19 is perfect for us as we generally have two people and never more than five. The ease of trailering and storing in the garage was a major selling point for us. Speaking of trailers..yes the Shore Lander sucks. However after adding LED lights, new bow roller, new trailer jack, trailer guides, boat buckles and spare tire setup it's now a serviceable trailer. Best of luck to you all!

Seattle-Wind

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Blwaters - we bought a new 2019 AR190 (same motor as your boat) earlier this year and are experiencing the same lack of power issues that you are experiencing. See my thread - https://jetboaters.net/threads/new-ar190-it-takes-6k-rpm-to-go-20mph.25902/. I understand people being defensive about their boats, but the fact is these boats are severely underpowered. Perhaps the hull design change in '19 has something to do with it, perhaps you and I just got "bad motors" from the factory.

There is a lot to like about the AR/SX190, such as comfort, size, practicality, gas mileage, but quality and speed are not one of them.

bigwaves

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought my AR190 back in late February. I'm finally taking delivery of it next week. The dealer did not have the black premium cover in stock and Yamaha does not have any. I didn't want the boat until everything in my deal was 100%. But after a few months of waiting I agreed yesterday to take a grey premium cover temporarily until a black one is available. Anyway, after this thread and other threads with Yamaha quality issues and complaints I'm having lots of doubts about this purchase. Why would they let new boats out of the factory with all these problems?? Maybe I'll just take a small hit (maybe no hit) and sell it. New boat inventories are rapidly shrinking and demand is high. I had a SIMRAD chartplotter installed and the spare tire with mount installed as well.

Gunner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought my AR190 back in late February. I'm finally taking delivery of it next week. The dealer did not have the black premium cover in stock and Yamaha does not have any. I didn't want the boat until everything in my deal was 100%. But after a few months of waiting I agreed yesterday to take a grey premium cover temporarily until a black one is available. Anyway, after this thread and other threads with Yamaha quality issues and complaints I'm having lots of doubts about this purchase. Why would they let new boats out of the factory with all these problems?? Maybe I'll just take a small hit (maybe no hit) and sell it. New boat inventories are rapidly shrinking and demand is high. I had a SIMRAD chartplotter installed and the spare tire with mount installed as well.
Just keep in mind all boat builders have QC issues and you generally only hear about the boats with issues, not the ones without issues. I too was concerned after buying and before taking delivery which was 6 months. As my post above shows I am very satisfied with the purchase so far and didn't have any of the initial quality issues others have had. So am I a lucky buyer or in majority or minority with no issues, that I do not have an answer for. Relax and enjoy the boat.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I can also say I did not have any issues, I did many upgrades to it though.

Blwalters

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Blwaters - we bought a new 2019 AR190 (same motor as your boat) earlier this year and are experiencing the same lack of power issues that you are experiencing. See my thread - https://jetboaters.net/threads/new-ar190-it-takes-6k-rpm-to-go-20mph.25902/. I understand people being defensive about their boats, but the fact is these boats are severely underpowered. Perhaps the hull design change in '19 has something to do with it, perhaps you and I just got "bad motors" from the factory.

There is a lot to like about the AR/SX190, such as comfort, size, practicality, gas mileage, but quality and speed are not one of them.
We really wanted to love this boat! Love the ride, layout, and storage. Quality issues can be fixed, but
Have 80 hours on our 2018 Ar190. Have had zero quality issues,other than debris in the bilge , guess Yamaha doesnt have a vaccum at the factory. After ribbon delete speed has never been below high 30's and is usually low 40's per GPS. We boat in brackish river and salt water bay. The boat really handles chop and wakes very well for a 19 foot boat. One thing I wish I had was hinged seats as I am finding wear spots on the seat corners from taking them in and out. Based on all the complaints I see on the Connect system I feel lucky to have analog gauges. As for preventive maintenance I frequently check all hoses and fittings for loose hardware and apply conditioner to the seats often. I also apply silicon spray to metal surfaces to inhibit rust from developing. Would I buy this boat again?...absolutely. The 19 is perfect for us as we generally have two people and never more than five. The ease of trailering and storing in the garage was a major selling point for us. Speaking of trailers..yes the Shore Lander sucks. However after adding LED lights, new bow roller, new trailer jack, trailer guides, boat buckles and spare tire setup it's now a serviceable trailer. Best of luck to you all!
Quality issues can be fixed but the motor I’m not so sure. We took it back to the dealer this morning so they could check it out. Very apologetic for all the issues so hopefully they find an “Ah Ha” issue for the motor. If not I guess we’ll be trading a brand new boat.

Blwalters

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is the ribbon delete something you had done or is that something that’s done with the first service? Dealer never mentioned anything of the sort.

Blwalters

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m giving the dealer a chance to change my mind, I researched for almost a year before we pulled the trigger on the Yamaha. Our other boat is a Ranger, and from all I read Yamaha owners seem to be just a passionate about their boats as Ranger people. Hopefully this all ends well!

Gunner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's a mod you do thats fairly cheap and gives you a 150 to 200 more rpm and more responsiveness. Many threads on here to research it

UFfitz56

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not an "easy mod" anymore on the 19+ manifolds. Ribbon is built into the new plastic manifold which mean it has to be cut out. I worry about debris getting into the engine so I plan on removing the manifold completely when I do it.

Blwalters

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's a mod you do thats fairly cheap and gives you a 150 to 200 more rpm and more responsiveness. Many threads on here to research it
Thanks for the tip, I’ll check it out.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
For the 190 models removing ribbon is still easy. It’s only the 195 models which are difficult now.

UFfitz56

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
1590877294099.png
I wish it was...But it's built into the manifold now on the 190's?

UFfitz56

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
1590878036066.png
Did your 2018 look like this?

Gunner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's what the 2018 looked like as I recall. I believe the ribbon is molded in on later years as it was a press fit and easily removed on 2018 model.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I have heard that the 190 models are still easily removed. It’s only 195 that is all one piece now.

UFfitz56

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have heard that the 190 models are still easily removed. It’s only 195 that is all one piece now.
I'll remove the the throttle body this week to double check but I don't see why the diagram would be wrong...

Last edited: