• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New AR190 - It takes 6K RPM to go 20mph?!

Seattle-Wind

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Our new 2019 Yamaha AR190 needs 6,000 RPM to go 20mph. 5,800 RPM is the lowest possible RPM without falling off plane at about 17mph.

Verified by GPS. This is with only 1 person on board, full tank of fuel, calm conditions, no wind, at sea-level. 4 hours on the engine. Jet drive is clean, impeller is free of defects, wear ring is perfect.

Is this model really that underpowered from the factory or is there an inherent defect with my specific boat or engine? The Boat Test graphs of the previous generation AR190 (2018 and older) show that the boat should be going 28.4 mph at 6,000 RPM and that I should be able to go about 20mph at 5,400 RPM.

The idea of running the boat at it's lowest possible cruise speed of only 20mph at 1.2 - 1.4K below redline is very concerning. What happens when I get 3 other people in the boat? Will I even be able to get this thing on plane without WOT?

I was planning on keeping this for 10+ years and saved up for years to buy it, always admiring the boat and design over the years. I'm frankly shocked at how underpowered it is. Our previous boat was a naturally aspirated SeaDoo Speedster 150 4-Tec with 155hp (the lowest powered engine available in that model). I would cruise at 5,000 all day long in that boat at 20+ mph, which was 2.2 - 2.4K below redline. The Speedster felt like it had at least 3-4x the power-to-weight ratio, when it reality it was less than 2x the power-to-weight ratio of the AR190.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Is there a break-in period? If so maybe that's it. Hopefully others will chime in.

Seattle-Wind

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is there a break-in period? If so maybe that's it. Hopefully others will chime in.
The break-in period is less than 2 hours for this boat, per the owners manual. I followed the break-in instructions exactly.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My boat is a dual engine 23ft with the MR1 engines, so a bit different, and it takes just under 7k rpm to get on plane and to a decent cruise speed. The last 3500rpm of Rev range is where it really makes all the power. When you push it, it rips to nearly 50mph.

So it might just be the Rev happy nature of the motors. No experience with the newer 1.8s, but something to consider.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Our new 2019 Yamaha AR190 needs 6,000 RPM to go 20mph. 5,800 RPM is the lowest possible RPM without falling off plane at about 17mph.
What top speed are you seeing? Just trying to rule out if you have a larger problem. I don't have a 190 so I can speak to the specifics.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
The break-in period is less than 2 hours for this boat, per the owners manual. I followed the break-in instructions exactly.
Is your engine supercharged? Mine was and it did better than that.

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know that my 2019 SX190 near sea level full tank with 1 or 2 adults, currently 40 hours on the boat, will hit 38-41 mph on the top end (GPS verified). I very rarely try top speed, normally cruise at 18-26mph range .. 18 seems to be lowest on plane speed possible.

I looked at videos from last year when I was around 25 hours. 22mph, 5540rpm. 25mph, 5830rpm.

Seattle-Wind

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What top speed are you seeing? Just trying to rule out if you have a larger problem. I don't have a 190 so I can speak to the specifics.
I haven't taken the boat past 6,000 RPM yet, but I'll take it to the top speed today and report back.

Seattle-Wind

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know that my 2019 SX190 near sea level full tank with 1 or 2 adults, currently 40 hours on the boat, will hit 38-41 mph on the top end (GPS verified). I very rarely try top speed, normally cruise at 18-26mph range .. 18 seems to be lowest on plane speed possible.

I looked at videos from last year when I was around 25 hours. 22mph, 5540rpm. 25mph, 5830rpm.
Thanks for providing those figures of your RPM's and speed. You're getting much better performance than I am out of the same hull and motor. Do you recall if your engine felt like it put out more power as it got more broken in at say 5 and 10 hours?

ScreaminJay

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2019 ar195 so supercharged BUT I would have sworn that after I got the 10 hr maintenance done the boat got “faster” and more responsive on the throttle. Could have just been my perception, of course.

14 hrs on her now and lovin it.

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for providing those figures of your RPM's and speed. You're getting much better performance than I am out of the same hull and motor. Do you recall if your engine felt like it put out more power as it got more broken in at say 5 and 10 hours?
Definitely feels like after the 10 hour oil change, i feel like the motor is sounding quieter-smoother, which is my only notable observation. I'm not sure the rpm at certain mph changed but it's my first boat and i really wasn't looking at this closely at beginning... really was more stressed about docking without damage...

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I haven't taken the boat past 6,000 RPM yet, but I'll take it to the top speed today and report back.
That will be the key. The 195 and supercharged version is no benchmark for your speed/performance. I would expect your boat to go 42-45 top speed and I will not find it unusual if you don't have much low end speed variation since my experience is that these boats have only a few speeds. The twin engines have some more variability since you can limit/rev just one engine different than the other to dial into more precise MPH's

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
So I've heard some discussion in the past with over-filled engine oil causing top speed and RPM losses, have you checked the oil? Not entirely sure this would cause your issue but something easy to do.

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m at about 900ft above sea level. This was end of summer last year September, the first pics was 81 degree lake, the second water temp was 96 degrees in that lake... i notice on the 25mph pics, i had 22 hrs on engine..

Attachments

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
96 degree water!?!? Did you bring your rubber duckie and shampoo for a bath?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
You're not recording this while going up river, by chance, are you?

Seattle-Wind

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m at about 900ft above sea level. This was end of summer last year September, the first pics was 81 degree lake, the second water temp was 96 degrees in that lake... i notice on the 25mph pics, i had 22 hrs on engine..
Thanks for posting the pics. The type of performance that you posted is what I was expecting out of the boat, to be able to cruise comfortably on plane at around 20mph at 5,500RPM, but my motor takes 500 - 600 more RPM to reach this speed.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Thanks for posting the pics. The type of performance that you posted is what I was expecting out of the boat, to be able to cruise comfortably on plane at around 20mph at 5,500RPM, but my motor takes 500 - 600 more RPM to reach this speed.
It's possible that your RPM's aren't being correctly read by Connext. There's a way to reset that system I think. I'd be interested to know what your top speed and top speed RPM's are?