• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New AR190 - It takes 6K RPM to go 20mph?!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks everyone for your comments and feedback. The boat is perfectly clean and was just put in the water, so growth on the hull isn't a part of the issue. I think OrangeTJ is on to something regarding the sealant on the intake side of the pump or the clean out plug not being sealed.

I've noticed that the clean out plug fills all the way to the very brim overnight. I empty the water before use by simply removing the clean out plug and then putting it back in, but the next day it's filled to the absolute brim (so that the ski ropes that I store in the same compartment are wet, so it's probably overflowing). I make sure the plug is in tight. Could this be the speed robbing culprit?
Missing sealant in the pump intake will potentially let air enter (from the bilge compartments) and that would cause "cavitation" (or ventilation to be exact) and for sure decrease the efficiency of the pump and result in decreased performance as far as thrust.
Separately, any dings on the leading or trailing edge of the impeller or the stator segment may cause cavitation.
As mentioned before, the clearance with the wear ring is critical, I don;t know how good those are in the new pumps, but should be great with the plastic inserts/lining, unless damaged.

--

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Have you jumped on the boat and moved the throttle in increments to ensure the reverse bucket is clearing fully? You can do this very easily with the boat off and out of the water or off and in the water, should only take 1 minute to verify it is fully opening.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 19 190 and your top speed is similar to my Ohio mid summer hot weather / hot water lake number, altitude=888'. My spring top speed in cool weather / cool water was 40mph. Numbers are all mild loading, low wind, no bimini. I have not done any engine mods. Summer numbers have Cobra Jet Ultimates installed. I don't think break in affected me after 2hrs. I haven't had to opportunity to get it out this year. Hopefully the don't close the launches before I get to play.