• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Extended Rudder??

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I have a 2015 240 that I have already added the Cobra Jet steering upgrade to several years ago.

Completely different boat when going slow through no wake or when docking, steers very well.

But at 25-45 on slightly rough water, it wonders all over the place, constant steering adjustment.

The nozzles are in great alignment, I believe that when under way, very little water is actually getting to the rudder, thus the wondering.

Thinking of removing the rudder, mill a .250" wide slot down the middle, Add a 6-7" long extended aluminum plate with a rib milled on the mounting edge to help alignment to the rudder and have it welded on both sides.

Worse case is no improvement. thoughts , comments?

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Are your cobra jets set down all the way? And toed in somewhat (closer together at front edge than rear)?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What is Slightly Rough water? Generally these boats track better at speed than when slow. What happens if you release the wheel in these "wandering situations"? maybe wind and current are steering? I don't think that's something a bigger rudder will address. When you are fighting weather and rudder some wheel input is required.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Have you seen these pics/videos on here. The rudder appears to be at least partially in the water when running but probably not much at all. If you did an extension you wouldn’t want to go far or it could really put a lot of unexpected force on the factory components.

1628715700489.png

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If you have the nozzles set correctly and the fins all the way down you should be fine so I would suggest you email me some pictures of your setup you have the super magnum with set on your boat here is a video a customer did on the alignment I would also suggest you check the reverse bucket settings and be sure they are completely out of the way of the jet stream and even with each other when in forward. You have had that system on for 2 years .
Here is a video a customer made showing the nozzle alignment process, it is similar on the ak and ak-19 systems also you should add ½ turn OUT to one end of each tie rod after you have them even so the nozzles have a slight inward angle at the leading edges of the outer fins , this will allow the boat to track straight at high speed.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I also find my boat wondering when the bay is really rough/high traffic. I got Thrust Vectors on mine. It does great at speed in calmer water. I just deal with it.

As said above, I wouldn’t want the extra stress on the joint between the rudder and the boat. My personal concern would also be a extended rudder slamming into the sandbars we frequent and cracking the haul.

I think trim tabs to get that bow up over the waves and the stern down in the water a little better would be a safer option.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Trim tabs are great, but I think they do the opposite of what you have stated. I'm ESL so maybe I missed something, but Trim tabs will lower and plow the bow into the water and lift the stern. An outboard in full down position is another matter and would do the things you suggest.

From experience of others I know, I don't use trim tabs in following seas, or you might stuff the bow when you don't expect it.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I also find my boat wondering when the bay is really rough/high traffic. I got Thrust Vectors on mine. It does great at speed in calmer water. I just deal with it.

As said above, I wouldn’t want the extra stress on the joint between the rudder and the boat. My personal concern would also be a extended rudder slamming into the sandbars we frequent and cracking the haul.

I think trim tabs to get that bow up over the waves and the stern down in the water a little better would be a safer option.

Trim tabs don't get the bow up. They will push the bow down and the stern up. Fully retracted they don't do anything, for the most part. No way to trim our boats up higher (bow higher) than they sit stock.

EDIT: Whoops, sorry didn't see @Beachbummer post.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Trim tabs are great, but I think they do the opposite of what you have stated. I'm ESL so maybe I missed something, but Trim tabs will lower and plow the bow into the water and lift the stern. An outboard in full down position is another matter and would do the things you suggest.

From experience of others I know, I don't use trim tabs in following seas, or you might stuff the bow when you don't expect it.
Hmm good to know. I personally don’t have them. I was under the impression you could use them much like the trim on outboard or I/O. Raise it up, and the bow will come up.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They work to push the bow down, but not up. You could always sit your more voluminous guests at the rear and avoid anyone in front if you wanted to do what you could within reason to lift the bow.