• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Faded Black GelCoat

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Howdy Scarab Folks!
I have owned a 2015 215 HO Impulse for 4 years, and have been struggling with the black sections fading. I’ve tried a different thing pretty much every year. This year I finally broke down and wet-sanded it. I started with 1000, then 2000, then 3M medium cut paste. I followed this with GlideCoat ceramic coating. It was a ton of work, but I’m very happy with the results.
Stay away from CostaCoat, the stuff is horrible.
I’ll follow up part way through the season to let everyone know how it’s holding up.

Attachments

Joatmon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
Wow that was a serious fade. I would of never thought you would get it to look so good. You did put in the time on that project.

I too have black gel coat fad albeit not so bad as you did. I use Meguiar's 771 Heavy Oxidation Scrub to keep it under control, but it takes a lot of effort so may not be the best method or product to use. Knowing how sensitive gel coat is I would not be brave enough to resort to using sandpaper. I cannot image how much time it took you.

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
It took around 6 hours per side. I was debating prepping and painting with black topcoat, but was more nervous about painting than sanding.
I’ve got a covered slip now, so UV damage should be minimal moving forward.

Joatmon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
My anchor compartment cover had multiple cracks where Scarab did a crappy job of making. There were air voids and lots of filler that offers no support as glass fibers do so I had to grind out the voids and reinforce the entire cover underside with resin and mat. Painted and used a two part shaker can urethane top coat clear. Came out great and now supports my weight. Just a hassle of having to fix what was don’t done correctly during the build. That was minor compared to other issues I had to correct.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Very impressed....awesome job!

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Very nicely done. Restoring oxidized gelcoat is very rewarding. There are not many of us who have taken a piece of sandpaper to gelcoat, but the results can be amazing when done right. Your black was worse than my orange, nice job.

20170430_102205.jpg

20170430_102323.jpg

20170526_132723.jpg

It works on 30+ yo white sailboats too.

20220530_184649.jpg
20220510_184801.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make