• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Please read the Classified Ads Posting Rules before Posting something for Sale!

Boats MUST LIST A LOCATION (State)IN THE TITLE (Seems people can't read lately)-along with Make/Model/Year

Boat Stuff Feeling Adventurous? Gaffrig Controls

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Details? Do existing Yamaha cables just fit? Why four levers? Kinda interested in replacing mine, but not sure why a Gaffrig would be a good option.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Dedicated lever for direction vs throttle. Allows for much more delicate throttle control.

If you look at the movement of the Yamaha binnacle you only have from 30 to 80 degrees for throttle control. (Angle of lever, 0 being upright in neutral, -80 or so being full reverse.)On the gaffrig the full range of motion is dedicated to the throttle. I can set my engine rpm to any desired number with ease. Also, these do not suffer from a creep that lowers the rpm when you release them.

I installed mine with some adapters from gaffrig and a trip to Ace hardware for some fasteners.

I can creep at pretty much any desired engine speed. 3k 4k 2800 etc. I could not adjust the throttle to these speeds with my Yamaha binacle.

If i could have only one upgrade to the boat, this would be a it. The original binacle is so terrible, (mine at least was) and this made it a joy to adjust speed and control.

I had an be old seadoo and my old binacle was close to this, and I was not impressed at how little control the yamaha binacle allowed. It may be partially my preference, but you don't know what you are missing. This thing provides smooth and precise control of the throttle. You have 3-4 times more travel on the lever to control the same throttle range.

I hope i did not overhype this, but it is a pretty nice upgrade in my opinion.

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Do the two small levers control the buckets? Is it relatively easy to have one in reverse and one in forward? Sorry, just looking for clarification before I decide whether it's worth it to rip my existing one apart to fix the throttle creep, or just replace it. Thx!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, little ones connected directly to buckets. Big ones to the throttle. There is a small bump to trigger the neutral lockout switch on the little ones, so the boat is expected to be on neutral to start.

It is a risk since these are used, but they cost big money when new, so when I find a very similar used one for sale I took the risk, and I'm very happy with them, but YMMV ;)

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I can also vouch for the quality of these controls. @Bill D has them on his boat and they are real nice! I've driven with them and it takes a little getting used to at first but like mentioned you can really dial in exactly the RPM, speed or direction you want. You get independent throttle and bucket control which can make for some extra tune-ability for speed and maneuvering.

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sorry to keep rehashing this, but I have more questions before hunting some down...

In no-wake zones, do you use the Gaffrigs or no-wake mode? I'm not thrilled with the no-wake setting on my boat, would love to have a throttle that's accurate enough to easily set a low RPM without the no-wake mode. Thanks again!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The mr1 surges a bit at the very low rpms. I do use the controls to set rpms at slow speed all the time 2200 3200 2800 2500 are all achievable without difficulty. You may see an engine sure at a particular spot, but a touch of the throttle brings it to your desired setting. I have motored at any of these ranges with no difficulty in the past.

You can also decelerate in a very controlled fashion, for smoother deplane. Also if you need a bump to gain greater steering control, you can bump to 3500 or 3000 or whatever with no difficulty.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length