• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fiberglass damage suggestions

druppert

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
P.S. NEVER trust a man with artificial turf in his boat!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with you on the structural concern. That is my primary concern. Seeing what appears to be stress fractures by looking at the spider cracks in the gelcoat above and below my tower mountpoint is really concerning to me. I don't see anything from inside the boat around the fiberglass that makes me worry though (not really sure what to look for) and while I didn't push super hard on it, pressing in on where the tower mount is did not appear to show much in the way of "give".
Sounds like you are fine (all surface/cosmetic damage, not structural). When Yamaha FRP fails it gets soft (there is no core inside, just the shell) and it really cracks like an eggshell (thank goodness not your case).
Here is an example of structural damage to FRP - this is one of the many anchor lockers in 2010-2014 240/242 hulls with damage due to a bouncing anchor inside:
upload_2017-7-24_22-2-9.png

--

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@swatski that is exactly what I have. Ironically a 2012.
I will updated when I get an estimate from the dealer.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The saga continues. Again, thank you everyone for your posts. It is reassuring... dare I say to the extent that you are all my grief counselors right now.

Haven't gotten his insurance information yet... I'll call the marina and the guy again in the morning. From what I can tell, the aft end of my boat was pressured so hard from the port side tower mount point to my stbd side rub rail that I had light fracturing shown in the gelcoat on both sides almost equally. Even to the extent that I have some breaks up under my windshield. At some point I will make an overlay diagram of the damage... it can only help my case I suspect.

I wish I had looked better at his dock lines - I remember thinking they weren't beefy enough.

These next few pictures are aft stbd near my tower mount point (please forgive my solar panel lines):

another picture more top-down of the same:

You can see that it continues forward:

And looking directly at it just forward of the tower mount point (note I did not have a fender hung from this position):

Finally... I noticed this under my windshield (stbd side):

The more I look, the more I find. Still, nothing soft to the touch.

Last edited:

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you show or give them a copy of Insurance? I know most require you to have insurance. Would the Marina be liable at All?

Sorry to see this for you. It would make me sick.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Do you show or give them a copy of Insurance? I know most require you to have insurance. Would the Marina be liable at All?

Sorry to see this for you. It would make me sick.
I gave a copy of my registration and insurance. I have his registration and phone number, but no address or insurance. I have never met the guy who owns the boat that did the damage. I hope the marina isn't liable. I really don't want those guys taking any heat for this guy next to me having crap dock lines.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I gave a copy of my registration and insurance. I have his registration and phone number, but no address or insurance. I have never met the guy who owns the boat that did the damage. I hope the marina isn't liable. I really don't want those guys taking any heat for this guy next to me having crap dock lines.
The marina should have his insurance

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The marina should have his insurance
Important word in there, "should" :). I have asked for it as well as surveillance video. Hopefully I get both!

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Important word in there, "should" :). I have asked for it as well as surveillance video. Hopefully I get both!
That's why I brought up their liability.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This all makes me sad. I'd be heartbroken. I hate derelict boats. It's like the guy in a rat pickup truck full of unsecured crap that could care less about you or your safety.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
call Ocean repair #801-565-8000 ask for Rick, he'll make it look like new again!

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sounds like you are fine (all surface/cosmetic damage, not structural). When Yamaha FRP fails it gets soft (there is no core inside, just the shell) and it really cracks like an eggshell (thank goodness not your case).
Here is an example of structural damage to FRP - this is one of the many anchor lockers in 2010-2014 240/242 hulls with damage due to a bouncing anchor inside:
View attachment 60908

--
What's a little fiberglass damage between friends... This is what is left from Bimini for me.
IMG_0719.JPG

IMG_0720.JPG

IMG_0721.JPG

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
call Ocean repair #801-565-8000 ask for Rick, he'll make it look like new again!
Thanks Adam! I will keep them in mind. I talk to my adjuster today. Have you ever worked with Bastian from Davidson Marine in Murray? He frequently comes up here to Rockport.

edit: I talked with my insurance today and they mentioned that Ocean Repair was a company that they have worked with in the past and are happy to work with. I'll give them a call and figure out what their schedules are.

Last edited:

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Since I might not be home for when the insurance has a look at the damage, I wanted to point out everything I have found so far...

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Since I might not be home for when the insurance has a look at the damage, I wanted to point out everything I have found so far...

Wow that's a serious diagram. I am liking your post not for the damage but for your effort

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Thanks Adam! I will keep them in mind. I talk to my adjuster today. Have you ever worked with Bastian from Davidson Marine in Murray? He frequently comes up here to Rockport.

edit: I talked with my insurance today and they mentioned that Ocean Repair was a company that they have worked with in the past and are happy to work with. I'll give them a call and figure out what their schedules are.
I've used them for many years and Rick does an amazing job, highly recommend! I've never used Bastian from Davidson Marine.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wow that's a serious diagram. I am liking your post not for the damage but for your effort
Thank you. I plan to double down on this diagram as I get reviews of the damage. Last night's review had me running a light on the outside of the hull and someone looking at the damage from the inside of the boat trying to find shadows for where the fiberglass would be fractured. We identified a few locations where it is indeed fractured.

I've used them for many years and Rick does an amazing job, highly recommend! I've never used Bastian from Davidson Marine.
Thanks, I suspect this is where the "oops" screw repair from moving my anchor light mount points was done a few years ago. If so, clearly they are good at color matching and repairs.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just an update on this, the boat's been in repair and they are making some progress on it. They had to practically disassemble the upper half of the boat (take the windshield off, etc). I'm having them remove all of the sticker decal's for a little bit more of a clean look to the boat.

Then it's off to sugarhouse awning to have a new cover made for it. I want to get one made that is a cakewalk to put on and take off while end slipped (slip on only one side). My marina promoted me to the end slip going forward, which I'm pretty happy about. When it's all said and done, I'll have to post about what's going to happen regarding some dings in my aluminum tower.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
if the insurance covers it, you could sale the tower and I have a buyer lined up for you. :D