• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Filling old transducer screw holes - What to use?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am installing a new and different transducer. At most I will be able to use one of the three factory holes. The factory holes were probably drilled to 3/16th then a #12 or #10 screw was used to mount the transducer.

Some options that I have considered are;

1. Fill the holes with Life Caulk and allow to cure. Add an additional blob from the inside. I filled from the outside today shooting quite a bit through the holes.
  2. Get some flat headed #12 screws, countersink the holes slightly, and install them into the holes with Life Caulk.
  3. Drill the holes out larger and fill with an epoxy plug. Drilling would remove all the old caulk and clean up some of the gelcoat damage.
  4. Order some quick cure 5200 and fill the holes. I have slow cure 5200 but I want to use the boat this coming weekend.

Here is a picture of the holes filled with Life Caulk. I will reuse the fourth hole that is higher so it is not an issue.

transducerholes.jpg

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I did option 1 with with slow cure 5200. Good luck Bruce

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I did 5200 on the inside and Marine tex on the outside. Can't really tell I ever had holes there!

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No. The rapid set epoxy. It's not white but easy to use. I have not used the white putty before -- I prefer the epoxy bond.

http://www.marinetex.com/marinetexrapidset.html

I think that the putty has to be painted/covered but I may be wrong.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have that very kit sitting on my workbench. If I was going to gelcoat, I would plug with epoxy first. Which would be the cleanest solution.
That patch kit is supposed to be more than just gelcoat and suitable for filling small holes.

Papa

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I used Marine Rx epoxy putty for the same thing you are doing. May be the same thing as the Marine Tex. I got it from West marine. $14.00 and change. I also had to use it one the nose of my boat right under the rub rail. Chipped it loading on the trailer. Applied and let it dry and sanded to the same profil and it has been fine for the last 5 years.
Papa

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
screw the hole, what kind of transducer did you get?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
screw the hole, what kind of transducer did you get?
I bought a Raymarine Dragonfly last year in a Black Friday sale and am finally getting around to installing it.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought a Raymarine Dragonfly last year in a Black Friday sale and am finally getting around to installing it.
Ah, yes, I saw the thread. That's a fun unit. If I had one of those my wife would kill me. I'd spend all day floating down river playing with that.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I filled mine with 3m5200 fast cure because I wanted to get out on the water quickly. It's a hack job that some day I may go back and clean up but for now it's out of normal site and out of mind.
Elite5tranducer2.jpg

Attachments

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
It's just a hole bruce. Clean the holes out and fill with your choice of any epoxy. Marine Tex is epoxy, so is JB Weld, so is QuickWood, and they are all putty that will stand up. For a perfect job, fill them with that for now, then just scuff sand the holes later and use the Spectrum kit to cover with gelcoat, finish sand, and buff and wax. You will never know they were there. I have an air void i have found, that I am filling with epoxy. If it turns out nice, I may not have to use the patch kit...but I ordered one. Holes are damn easy if they are not filled with caulk. Since yours are, clean that out first. It doesn't even matter if it is colored putty if your going to gelcoat over it with the patch kit. If you use one of the two part putties, they dry in about 30 minutes, then you can use the spectrum patch that quick. The spectrum will dry overnight. I patched some drilled holes on the dawg like that, and just left the putty below the gelcoat surface, so I could fill the void with the gelcoat.

Papa

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I filled mine with 3m5200 fast cure because I wanted to get out on the water quickly. It's a hack job that some day I may go back and clean up but for now it's out of normal site and out of mind.
View attachment 5732
JB4Life,
What kind of transducer is that? What kind of unit are you using? Papa

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have used one of the "gelcoat" repair kits for a small dock ding on mine from an exposed screw. Easy to use and very happy with the results. Can't even see it unless I point it out. Easy to match the color on the white too.

That being said, I would use epoxy to fill the hole, something rated for underwater use like West Systems. Leave some room for the gelcoat patch at the surface. It is easy and will look like new.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length