• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Finally got a jet boat

maviles392

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Well I’ve been haunting this site for months researching everything I could find on Yamaha Jet boats and finally bought one.

I purchased a 2017 212 Limited. Paid to much considering all the blemishes she has but I think or hope the engines are running good. The wife hates it so far because she is a little ugly and needs work, the boat not the wife.

The way I look at it is the boats been in the Keys, she has 265 hours on the engines and has been used a lot and hopefully not abused a lot.

She has some rust here and there on some of the screws, both captains chairs are rusted out underneath (common issue) and dripping rust pieces and rust staining water onto the snap in carpet and deck. The sound dampening material in the engine compartment is falling down. She has several gouges in her gel coat. The Seadek on the swim platform needs replaced. The speakers on the swim platform are rusty and need replaced. I think the clean out plugs need rebuilt because a lot of water came up them during my test drive.

She’s not perfect but she’s mine and I’m already in love. The wife not so much. She wanted a new looking used boat. Anyway will post some pics later and update as I progress through these issues and will let you know when the wife falls in love with it also. Fingers crossed

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
The water on the clean out plugs is normal.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
:Welcome:to the forum! If you've been haunting the site, you know we need validation pics of the boat; otherwise it's just hear-say. ;) :cool:

Good luck and have fun...

maviles392

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
She will be sitting with my other boat which is a 1972 Thunderbird Formula 233 with twin 165hp Mercruiser outdrives.

Attachments

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Bringing her home from South Florida. We live in Panama City Florida so about a 10 hour drive. Made it with no issues.
Looks beautiful to me...

maviles392

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Got both captains seats off. The main seat with the bolster seat the springs have all rusted to pieces. Pulled them all off. The copilot seat only has one spring left whole and it’s going to break when I remove it. The arm rest on it fell off.

Both steel bases on the seats are completely rusted. The aluminum bases are still usable and working.

I bought the one captains chair that a member here was selling and that should be here tomorrow. Now I just need to find a copilot seat.

Attachments

maviles392

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
The water on the clean out plugs is normal.
Sean R, when you say normal.

I’ve only had her out once which was the test drive. We drained all the water out of the bilge prior to launching, it had been raining. After we got back while sitting at the dock the bilge pump was on auto and was pumping water from the bilge. After pulling her out I pulled the plug and she had a few gallons still in her. Opened the clean out plug hatch and both tubes were filled to the brim. Didn’t know if the clean out plugs need a rebuild done would it let water pass them into the clean out tubes.

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Getting water in the clean out tubes is normal. I always have water in the port tube, stbd some times,. But if they are filled to the top you might need a rebuild. Regarding the water in the bilge search water in bilge and you find a lot in trouble shooting that issue, your not alone. Good news the bilge pump works 👍

maviles392

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Removed the 2 smaller speakers on the swim platform they were corroded and had rust streaks. I’ve noticed some of these long thin SS screws are the cheaper quality stainless steel or really aren’t stainless steel and are bleeding rust. Will have to remove any of these screws and replace with better quality SS screws.

Attachments

maviles392

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Question. I removed both captains chairs yesterday and cleaned up the thousands of rust pieces from every where. I see some pieces down in the space between the fuel tank hatch. They are wedged between the hatch and sides. Tried spraying water but they are stuck and continuing to rust and streak. Anyone ever remove the hatch. Is there a seal around it that will need replaced if I take it off. Looks like 4 large screws at the corners are holding it in place.

Chatt_Jetsetter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
The wife hates it so far because she is a little ugly and needs work, the boat not the wife.
ROFL, had me cracking up. Congrats on the boat, keep us updated on the progress (with the boat AND your wife!)

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Unsolicited advice: Get the JBP full set of sea deck pads. It is 100% worth it. Congrats on the boat

maviles392

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Took the 4 Allen head bolts out of the tank hatch. Cleaned out the debris which wasn’t bad. The hatch was only sealed down with a stripe of neoprene rubber that was missing in small spots and out of place on other spots. The fuel tank and associated areas looked good. Filled in the gaps and fixed the out of place neoprene seal.

Attachments

MajorBummer210

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don’t think you can rebuild the locking 2017-Present clean out plugs, can you? Not like previous versions. The design of the rear hatch area where water drains out of the hatch area is good on the 2017s where it has a moat of sorts that scups the water out of that area.

Congrats on the new to you boat.

maviles392

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Found the front starboard grab rail very loose and the port grab rail starting to become loose. Was able to remove the speakers up front and access the 1/2” nut using a deep socket and extension. The rear nuts I was able to reach through the port and starboard storage areas.

Attachments