• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Finally got a jet boat

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@maviles392 I just did the same thing. Wasn't too bad.

AmesJainchill

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Found the front starboard grab rail very loose and the port grab rail starting to become loose. Was able to remove the speakers up front and access the 1/2” nut using a deep socket and extension. The rear nuts I was able to reach through the port and starboard storage areas.
When you checked the grab rails, did you happen to notice if the front cleats were loose? Mine were loose from the factory. Not flopping around loose, but my first year when I tied off the anchor, upon retrieval I noticed the cleat had move a quarter inch or so - enough to gouge the finish a little bit around the cleats. Dealer fixed it for me and cranked 'em down, but wouldn't surprise me to see them come loose again.

maviles392

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I haven’t noticed any cleats being loose but will have to check them to be sure.

I removed some of the parts on the seat I’m replacing to see if I can repair the other one. After taking this one apart I would say I won’t be able to fix it or the other one either.

Just hope I can take the new to me seat coming Monday and treat it underneath to slow down future rust.

Attachments

rad1026

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
1624047039015.png
Wire brush on a drill, or something similar and try this stuff. If there is active rust it actually uses Tanic Acid to bond to the rust so you can keep air from getting to it and doing further damage. I have had really good luck with it.

maviles392

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Got outside today between rain bands and cleaned some of the boat. Used the Davis FSR (Fiberglass Stain Remover) someone on this site recommended. It erased every rust stain on the gel coat. The large stains under the captains chairs, gone. All the stains on any hardware, gone. Wife attacked the seats with Miracle 31mildew remover also recommended on this site. It got rid of a lot of the mildew stains on most of the seats. Some areas are more stubborn but they got knocked back 70-80% so the wife is warming up to the boat. Also cleaned the large rust stains on the snap in carpet. Used the Miracle 31 on the carpet and it removed the large rust stains. There are a couple of very small stains that haven’t come out.

Attachments

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Congrats on the boat. Regarding the water on your clean out plugs, like mentioned above, it's normal. But try this while on the trailer, to rule out any issues with the plugs. Install the clean out plugs. Fill with water on top of them. You shouldn't find any water getting by and leaking under the boat (where the intake grates are).

Also, check all of your hose clamps under the swim platform. Salt water can do a number on them. I had some rusted through and broken. Replaced with new Stainless Steele ones. But water can get into the bilge that was also. I spray mine down with YamaShield.

maviles392

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
The captains chair I bought from one of the members here came in today and as promised it’s like new condition other than the very small separation in a few stitches which he clearly showed in his pics. It looks good except apparently a 2018 212 Limited S has a slightly different color than my 2017 212 Limited, but it still looks great in the boat. Now I have to find a matching chair for the port side. I need to find the part number. And yes I’m going to paint all the metal I can reach.

Attachments

maviles392

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I got new Seadek cover for swim platform for Fathers Day gift. The old one has lots of minor nicks and the previous owners cat used it as a scratching post in 2 spots. The new one came in today so less than 5 days from order too delivery. We also bought a couple of extra pieces to cover the step between the seat and the spot on the center seat coming into the boat as well as a table cover. Will be a fun project for next week.

pmustico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Well I’ve been haunting this site for months researching everything I could find on Yamaha Jet boats and finally bought one.

I purchased a 2017 212 Limited. Paid to much considering all the blemishes she has but I think or hope the engines are running good. The wife hates it so far because she is a little ugly and needs work, the boat not the wife.

The way I look at it is the boats been in the Keys, she has 265 hours on the engines and has been used a lot and hopefully not abused a lot.

She has some rust here and there on some of the screws, both captains chairs are rusted out underneath (common issue) and dripping rust pieces and rust staining water onto the snap in carpet and deck. The sound dampening material in the engine compartment is falling down. She has several gouges in her gel coat. The Seadek on the swim platform needs replaced. The speakers on the swim platform are rusty and need replaced. I think the clean out plugs need rebuilt because a lot of water came up them during my test drive.

She’s not perfect but she’s mine and I’m already in love. The wife not so much. She wanted a new looking used boat. Anyway will post some pics later and update as I progress through these issues and will let you know when the wife falls in love with it also. Fingers crossed
Congratulations! Today or ways it's all yours. Enjoy!

pmustico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
The captains chair I bought from one of the members here came in today and as promised it’s like new condition other than the very small separation in a few stitches which he clearly showed in his pics. It looks good except apparently a 2018 212 Limited S has a slightly different color than my 2017 212 Limited, but it still looks great in the boat. Now I have to find a matching chair for the port side. I need to find the part number. And yes I’m going to paint all the metal I can reach.
Nice!

maviles392

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I’ve had the boat almost 2 weeks and it’s either rained every day or it’s been to windy and rough.

Ran the boat on the test drive for about 30 minutes with no issues. I’ve ran the boat several times on the hose with no issues.

Today looked like it might be a nice afternoon so took off work early at 2:30pm to take the wife out for the first time. A little cloudy but the bay was flat and no rain on the radar for 100 miles.

Launched the boat for the first time which went great. Out into the bay. Ran it up to cruising speed (30mph) for a little while than top end (50) and back to cruising speed. After a few minutes alarm sounds and reads “Check port engine”. I could silence alarm but it sounds again after 5 minutes. On the readout No mention of oil or temp but I checked water outlets on the side anyway and both pumping water. I’d checked oil prior to launching it and levels good. I shut down both engines. Let it sit and cranked them back up. After 5 minutes alarm sounds again. Prior to buying boat he had a similar issue on starboard engine which turned out to be an O2 sensor so I’m thinking O2 sensor on the port now. I bought one, $220 so when it comes in next week hopefully that’s fixed.

maviles392

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
The swim platform today. If you zoom in on the right side you can see some of the cat scratches. The new one sitting on the back porch has a lot more pieces.

Attachments

maviles392

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Well I’m pretty frustrated right now. From everything I’ve read here I figured the problem with my port engine was the O2 sensor so I jumped the gun and found the part number and ordered a sensor, $220. Today I just returned from being out of town and switched out the port sensor with the starboard sensor. The problem still exists in the port engine and was not replicated in the starboard engine. Also I can’t clear the alarm or the red engine light on the dash. Tried disconnecting the batteries for 20 minutes still there. Tried starting and turning off the engine several times and still there. Anyways the new sensor is probably a $220 waste of money.

maviles392

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Also my boat is apparently a California version with basically two O2 sensors. One prior to I guess the catalytic converter (O2 Sensor) and one after (Thermosensor) part number 27 on the diagram. So maybe it’s this part that’s bad? 😳🤬🤪

Attachments

maviles392

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Will pull the second sensor (Thermosensor) tomorrow after work. Will switch it out with the starboard said and see what happens.

maviles392

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I’m trying to locate a service manual for a 2017 212 Limited or for the 2017 Yamaha 1.8 engines. Not the owners manual. I can’t find one anywhere.

maviles392

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Well I pulled out the rear O2 / Thermosensors from both engines. The port sensor looked ok but I hoped it wasn’t. The starboard sensor looks like crap with the tip corroded but I’m assuming is working. I put the crappy looking starboard sensor into the port engine and it’s still throwing an alarm so that’s probably not it. I’m at my ropes end with ideas. I have a boat I paid too much for and it doesn’t run right. I guess I need to buy a YDS code reader device and go from there. Last thing I want to do is drop it at the Yamaha shop where it will probably sit for weeks.