• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Finally got a jet boat

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So the port engine isn’t running right at all or is it just throwing that code at you? I’d definitely buy the YDS software even if it’s pretty expensive, since it’s going to sit at a Yamaha shop for awhile until they can get to it.. I’ve been chasing a ghost in my starboard engine… Have a check engine light flashing since the second time we put it on the water. Flashes a 13 code for an ignition coil error but still runs fine, hooked it up to the YDS software and can’t seem to find the issue, it’s like it clears itself and leaves no record of it.. No performance difference but my OCD is killing me for having that flashing engine light, which is also making my no wake mode unavailable for that engine.

maviles392

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Both engines run great. Took it out Friday between rain storms. It was running for a few minutes at 5000-6000 rpms when red check engine light came on and check port engine showed up on connext screen along with alarm. Silence alarm but it comes back every 5 minutes. Checked oil, checked pissers, all good. Touched both engine exhaust area not hot. Just that light and alarm every 5 minutes. Ran it for 30 more minutes in the bay at varying speeds both engines ran great. Just throwing that alarm. Can’t find a reader for less than about $500. Ouch.

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Both engines run great. Took it out Friday between rain storms. It was running for a few minutes at 5000-6000 rpms when red check engine light came on and check port engine showed up on connext screen along with alarm. Silence alarm but it comes back every 5 minutes. Checked oil, checked pissers, all good. Touched both engine exhaust area not hot. Just that light and alarm every 5 minutes. Ran it for 30 more minutes in the bay at varying speeds both engines ran great. Just throwing that alarm. Can’t find a reader for less than about $500. Ouch.
Maybe you could get a dealer to clear the code for you as a favor and see if it’ll pop up again? Or maybe you can find a member on here that lives close to you with the newer YDS software.. The only other thing you could do is check the spark plugs but doubtful that’s the issue if both engines are still running well. I’m still running my boat on the check engine light, I just check the fluids and everything before I go… ofcourse mine is older and doesn’t have an alarm or annoying screen pop up 😕

maviles392

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
It really sucks. I have another boat but it a 1972 boat with 1972 engines and is always in my shop with one this after the other. I boat this newer boat out of frustration of the older boat always having issues. Now I’ve used it for 2 minutes, not kidding and it’s broke. I should move somewhere there are no boat and take up a cheaper hobby. I would be happy, stress free and much wealthier.

maviles392

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I found a YDS code reader for $230 that is for boats up to and including 2017 so it’s on the way and can hopefully find out what’s up.

Went home during lunch and put the Thermosensor (2nd O2 sensor located after the catalytic converter) from the port engine into the starboard engine and now it’s throwing up the same red light, alarm problem so now both engines are doing it. So if it is the Thermosensor from the port engine now causing the same issue with the starboard side im guessing that’s a good indication that’s the problem. But port engine still has alarm going off.

I’m wondering if once it alarmed it will continue even if the problem has been fixed until it is hooked up to a reader and cleared or maybe disconnect battery for a period of time might clear it ??? Or is there another way to clear alarms ?

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I found a YDS code reader for $230 that is for boats up to and including 2017 so it’s on the way and can hopefully find out what’s up.

Went home during lunch and put the Thermosensor (2nd O2 sensor located after the catalytic converter) from the port engine into the starboard engine and now it’s throwing up the same red light, alarm problem so now both engines are doing it. So if it is the Thermosensor from the port engine now causing the same issue with the starboard side im guessing that’s a good indication that’s the problem. But port engine still has alarm going off.

I’m wondering if once it alarmed it will continue even if the problem has been fixed until it is hooked up to a reader and cleared or maybe disconnect battery for a period of time might clear it ??? Or is there another way to clear alarms ?
Might as well just disconnect the batteries until you get the YDS software, won’t hurt to try that 🤷🏼‍♂️

maviles392

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Disconnected them at lunch so already done. I’m hoping to get home at 530pm and connect batteries and crank both engines and hope port side runs with no alarm and starboard side sounds an alarm.

maviles392

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Left the batteries disconnected for 5 hours including the negatives. Cranked both engines and both are still showing check engine lights and alarms. So will have to wait on code reader program and hope it works letting me know an error code and can reset everything.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Left the batteries disconnected for 5 hours including the negatives. Cranked both engines and both are still showing check engine lights and alarms. So will have to wait on code reader program and hope it works letting me know an error code and can reset everything.
I read somewhere here that if you start and stop the engines 5 times in a row and there's no more issues, the alarms will clear. If they don't, you still have an issue.

maviles392

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Yes, I tried that and didn’t work to clear anything so if that’s true I now have an issue with both engines from switching out the Thermosensor.

maviles392

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
It’s been a week and still dealing with the same issues. Ordered the Thermosensor which came in and is not the same as the part I pulled so that’s a whole other issue. Anyway still having the alarm issue which is now both engines. Checked the two local places with mechanics. One (Yamaha dealership) is 2 months behind on boats and the other a local guy is 2 weeks so leaning towards dropping it off next week at the local guys shop.

In the meantime I purchased a YDS program but after many attempts I can’t get it to work so I’m afraid it is not compatible with my boat year or engine so that was a waste of $230 so if anyone can use a YDS 1.33 for a discount make an offer.

maviles392

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
It’s been raining almost every day anyways so I have the boat in my work shop and replaced the seadek on the swim platform. Getting the old stuff off took a couple of days but finally got it cleaned off letting it soak in mineral spirits. The new pieces look great. Also got a couple of extra pieces. The one between the seat back going into the boat and the step/seat down as well as the table. Also pulled the clean out hatch and replaced several missing, rusted or broken clamps. Resealed the large hatch putting more through bolts with washers and nylon locking nuts and a bead of 5200 so it’s sealed nicely. Still finding several stainless steel parts with surface rust that I’ve been cleaning up like both bow and stern ladders.

maviles392

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@maviles392 Fantastic work and great attention to detail.

Kane

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Did you ever figure the the issue out?

maviles392

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Forgot about keeping this post updated. In short no I never found or fixed the issue. I believe it’s a bad sensor but which one? I recklessly cut the wire going to the audible alarm and installed a wire plug and just leave it disconnected. The alarm is only on the starboard engine and I just keep a close eye on the pissers, engine oil and engine sound. I’ve used the boat a lot. Put over 30 hours on the engines. Made some long trips, one was 142 mile round trip and several 50 mile days. Boat is running great and when it gets cold I’ll drop it off at a shop and find out which sensor.

maviles392

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length