• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Finally put on the KeelGuard

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Finally found a free night, took the kid up and we installed the #KeelGuard. Woot!

Very easy install. Most difficult part was dealing with the length of the unwieldy thing. But the fact that the center had a separate protector strip from the sides made the install a breeze. I was going to use masking tape to tape off the outline, but we had some 'old tape' issues. So I abandoned that idea and used a dry erase marker to outline where it was going to go. Now, that did scrape off some as I scuffed it up with the sanding block. And what didn't come off there came off with the primer. But I still had the 'start' spot I had marked, so it all worked fine.

I will edit this in a sec and add pics. 'Cause I know. It didn't happen without pics. :)

20140610_211505.jpg
20140610_211452.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great. Well done.

I think it is a good color break up, if they had orange when I ordered my keel guard I would have gone with that color. Looks good!!!!

@jdiaz78 , I chose the contrasting color to match the colors above. Above the white (you can't see it in the pic) is red, then black, then white in the cockpit. So I thought that the black would match that black accent above.

I did consider white, tho. Didn't really consider the red, but white was in the running. All a matter of showing it or hiding it.

NICE job !!!!!!! Thanks for sharing ! Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

@tdonoughue, I like the contrast, I almost went with black... my KeelGuard was some of the best money I ever spent. It's been on three years and looks like new even after beaching it twice a month at least.

One interesting thing I noticed after the install... my dry slip is quite a ways up in the inter-coastal and we do spend a lot of time in the backwater surrounded by mangroves so we have to deal with yellowing of the hull. It cleans up easy enough, but I noticed everywhere that I used the primer for the KeelGuard there is no staining, its white as can be. I'm thinking I want to de-yellow the boat and use that primer on the entire hull... What is in that primer?

Must be acting like a sealer. After acid washing your hull make sure you buff and seal it so it stays white longer.

I don't know what is in the primer, but I do have a bottle of it left over (I think they read the comments about being short on it so they have started adding 2 vials). I will see what it says when I get home...

Interesting that it keeps it white, tho! Very strange.

Must be acting like a sealer. After acid washing your hull make sure you buff and seal it so it stays white longer.
Yea... I didn't seal it. I did an acid wash before the install, and I did another about a year and a half later... has not affected where the primer keeps it clean. I'm going to let NHYC de-yellow it... for $40, I'll drink a beer and watch them do it from the bar at Jack's. I'll go behind them and seal it though, just a good wax, or something in particular?

Ah... one of the cheaper mods...

Yea... I didn't seal it. I did an acid wash before the install, and I did another about a year and a half later... has not affected where the primer keeps it clean. I'm going to let NHYC de-yellow it... for $40, I'll drink a beer and watch them do it from the bar at Jack's. I'll go behind them and seal it though, just a good wax, or something in particular?
Funny that I have the same primer for vinyl lettering on my workbench!

Just to keep it simple without having to pull out the buffers you can apply just Meguiars Fleet Wax or start with the Klasse and top it with the Fleet Wax or the Klasse Sealant in the silver bottle. All of these apply and remove easily by hand. here is a pic of items.

image.jpg

Okay, so I called KeelGuard and told them the story. I told them I knew it was not their product, but since it was bundled in the install kit for this specific application maybe they had some insight. They had never had anyone report to them about the primed area being stain resistant and not yellowing. Thought it was very interesting, and recommended a call to 3M.

Called 3M and got directed to a very nice lady in the industrial adhesives department. I explained the situation and just wanted to know if she could tell me why their product did not stain and if they could tell me if it was suitable (safe) to treat the entire hull. The conversation ended a little like this:

Me: Just curious if you can tell me why your product is resistant to staining?

3M: It's not designed to be stained...

Me: That's great news, I don't want to apply stain over it, I want to use it to keep my hull from staining and turning yellow.

3M: But it's not designed for that purpose... it has not been tested, and 3M will not recommend a product for an untested application.

Me: Yes Ma'am, I understand, I just want to know if it is safe to use on gel coat...

3M: But it's not designed for that purpose...

Me: Yes Ma'am, I understand... but in your own literature you recommend it's use on watercraft gel coat to promote adhesion of vinyl graphics...

3M: That is correct, it is an adhesion primer.

Me: So it is safe to use on gel coat?

3M: I can't tell you if it is or not... it is not designed for that purpose...

Me: But in the literature...

3M: 3m literature?

Me: Yes Ma'am, it references the use of Primer #94 on gel coat...

3M: Does it say it's safe to use on gel coat?

Me: Not specifically...

3M: Does it say it's not safe to use on gel coat?

Me: No

3M: I wouldn't recommend using it...

Me: Yes Ma'am, thank you so much for your time.

3M: You are welcome have a great day.

Me: Same to you...

There you have it folks... that is the official word from 3M...

And when they capitalize on your idea...........

I was thinking exactly the same thing!

Hey Ralph... remember all that research we have been doing on bottom paint? I just had an idea....

Back