• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Find me the slipperiest bunk carpet!

Yeah, it was on the Christmas list but didn't get it. Just passed my birthday too. I have my anniversary at the end of the month...
Let's not forget FATHER'S DAY.;)

The bow over the roller thing is due to having the trailer in too far. We did that a few times when we first got the boat but then figured it out. I painted whit lines on my bunks 18" from the front as the magic water line marker for how deep to put the trailer. I havent tried liquid rollers but the cheap a$$ silicone lube automotive spray I got works wonders. I coat only the front bunks and only 2 or 3 times a season when the bunks are dry. I can easily crank the boat forward. This year I am going to try some Rain-X liquid spray wax on the bunks. I spilled some on the floor once and it was 20-100 times more slippery than the silicone. Cam.

The bow over the roller thing is due to having the trailer in too far. We did that a few times when we first got the boat but then figured it out. I painted whit lines on my bunks 18" from the front as the magic water line marker for how deep to put the trailer. I havent tried liquid rollers but the cheap a$$ silicone lube automotive spray I got works wonders. I coat only the front bunks and only 2 or 3 times a season when the bunks are dry. I can easily crank the boat forward. This year I am going to try some Rain-X liquid spray wax on the bunks. I spilled some on the floor once and it was 20-100 times more slippery than the silicone. Cam.
Ima try that next time, I always do it all myself, park the boat long the dock, go get the truck and pretty much back the trailer under the boat, then just grab the dock line and pull it up to the roller and tighten the winch. I'll leave the bunks showing next time and see how it goes, I'll spray the front of the bunks as well.
It's not difficult the way I've been doing it but now I realize I shouldn't have to force the bow up to get it over the roller. I don't worry about it being tight against the roller when it's out of the water since I tow it about 20 yards to the wash rack, then about 30 more yards to my parking spot.

I also do most of the work but the nice thing about the line is that I can ask any kid standing near by to wave when the line touches the water as I am backing up. Works for us. Cam.

So quick question.
They seem to be 2x6 boards. If I replace would I gain anything by going with 2x8 or 2x4?
What about using some sort of composite board under the carpet?

Going to West Marine to buy Liquid Rollers now.
What a pain to crank even 1 inch

Anyone ever try Pam cooking spay? When I played rugby in college we used to spay it on the bottom of our cleats to keep the mud off. Worked great.

That would be a great anniversary gift for your wife. Let us know how that works out for you. If you are able.;)

Anyone ever try Pam cooking spay? When I played rugby in college we used to spay it on the bottom of our cleats to keep the mud off. Worked great.
I use it to spray the auger and shute of the snow blower to keep the snow from sticking. Hope to have enough to get me through July.

Speedling. I looked at increasing the width to a 2x8. I was planning 2x8 mounted so the inner edge matched the same spot at the stock 2x6. It may not be so great though. When I looked close there are some hull strakes that would have to pass over the wider rear bunks and may wreck the carpet. I plan to plane the edges of my new bunks boards to give them a slightly curved contour. On mine the sharp board edges are where the carpet has worn off, possibly because the board angle does not exactly match the hull angle. This is a job I need to do in the next month just need to find decent carpet. So far I have found some nice carpet runner that may work. Funky pattern too. Cam.

I used it under the fenders of my Dirtbike when I raced so the mud wouldn't stick, that stuff has lots of uses!

I used it under the fenders of my Dirtbike when I raced so the mud wouldn't stick, that stuff has lots of uses!
I even use it, as crazy as this sounds, on my griddle to keep the pancakes and eggs from sticking! Who knew??

My carpet is getting thin in areas also.
I think I am going to just install a second layer of the highest quality carpet I can find over the existing carpet on the bunks.
Was looking at trailer yesterday and also noticed the bunks don't sit flat on bottom of boat, so I am thinking of shimming with some washers the bunks where needed to get maximum hull to bunk contact.

Another thought/idea was a hybrid bunk system normal carpet for the front long bunks and get some ultimate bunk boards (UBB) for the short rear section.

My bunks are slick enough I just want to protect the hull, currently have used armor-all and some different bunk spray on the carpet bunks to keep slick

Just throwing some ideas and observations out their.

I am going to replace my pressure-treated wood with IPE lumber. IPE lumber is three times denser then oak and rot resistant for 25 years and it has the same rating as steel. It almost looks like Brazilian cherry very dense. You can find it at most quality lumberyards. For the few boards that I would need it's not that expensive. Due to the quality of this would I may put a foam padding between it and the carpet because I won't have to worry so much about it rotting.

Product Summary

Naturally strong and decay/termite resistant, Ipé requires no preservative treatment and can be left “raw” or coated with the coating stain of your choice. The hardness of Ipé is approximately 3 times that of Oak and its excellent dimensional stability makes it well suited for outdoor applications and carries a 25-year warranty. Being one of the hardest and most dense woods on earth, Ipé remains smooth, free of splinters and carries a class A fire rating. PPW stocks decking boards and deck accessories in Ipé at many of your local distribution centers.

I am going to replace my pressure-treated wood with IPE lumber. IPE lumber is three times denser then oak and rot resistant for 25 years and it has the same rating as steel. It almost looks like Brazilian cherry very dense. You can find it at most quality lumberyards. For the few boards that I would need it's not that expensive. Due to the quality of this would I may put a foam padding between it and the carpet because I won't have to worry so much about it rotting.

Product Summary

Naturally strong and decay/termite resistant, Ipé requires no preservative treatment and can be left “raw” or coated with the coating stain of your choice. The hardness of Ipé is approximately 3 times that of Oak and its excellent dimensional stability makes it well suited for outdoor applications and carries a 25-year warranty. Being one of the hardest and most dense woods on earth, Ipé remains smooth, free of splinters and carries a class A fire rating. PPW stocks decking boards and deck accessories in Ipé at many of your local distribution centers.
I would be very concerned with this. It won't rot, but if the carpet isn't perfect, it will be like running your boat on STEEL...IPE is hard and can ruin your carbide cutting equipment pretty easy too. Keep us posted.

That IPE wood looks neat. I would be hesitant to use it as bunks. You kind of want the bunks to be softer than the boat, a sacrificial member, so that any abuse or collisions take the toll on the bunks (cheap) and not the hull (expensive). I was hoping to use fir or cedar on mine but even though I live in the land of wood, both are hard to find. I wouldn't mind finding a slightly thicker bunk as well for a bit more support. Cam.

TXAV8R You are so right about those carbide tips.:thumbsup:

I did my kitchen floor in Brazilian Cherry so I had my stair guy do the steps and risers in the same thing. He hated me because he burnt thru all of his drills for the railings. :mad:
I understand the worry of the hardness and the sacraficial member being the PT not the hull. This is why I figured with some type of closed cell foam or rubber under the carpet it would help. With the IPE I wouldn't have to worry about it trapping the moisture. Now you almost have me sold on those UBB's.:winkingthumbsup"
My rash on the boat is not where the boat rests on the bunks but the front of the boat where I first hit the bunks. Probably from not being in deep enough. Black hull looks nice in the water.
I appreciate the input sometimes I need to bounce these ideas off the pro's to see all sides of it.
Thanks again.

There is a reason they are called "bunks". The boat is supposed to rest on them, not slide on them. Just sayin'

Back