• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Finished my blue tower lights install

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
the way I have them tied into the factory lights allow me to dim them with the touch screen.
I replaced all the originals with blue except for the one at the side of the helm and the opposite side

Chip F.

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I really like the looks of these vs. the strips. How many additional lights total did you add to the courtesy light system?

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I really like the looks of these vs. the strips. How many additional lights total did you add to the courtesy light system?
I added 2 large muti-led lights in the bow under the 2 removable seats, the 3 on the swim deck, and 2 near the flush ports, 2 near front speakers. And i might be forgetting a few

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Cheap and easy....... and with nice results

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Some nice looking installs!

Word of caution with the blue lights:

Be careful in any use of blue lights while underway. Blue lights on boats visible from outside the boat are typically reserved for LEO use and will attract enforcement attention... particularly if any flashing/strobing/blinking.

Don't expect anyone would have a problem tied up/docked, though.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have gone right by the coast guard and wildlife in the same night with blue lights on here in NC, no problems at all

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Most new SeaHunts come with blue lights all over the t-top. As well as other makes

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I probably should have used the word may not will ahead of "attract LEO attention", above.

I like your installs, @Neutron , as I mentioned above.

But the USCG issued a safety bulletin, Safety Alert 10-15 on November 4, 2015 on this specific subject, so some caution is advised when using blue lights on the water (following is copied from this alert, but is not the complete alert):

"Boaters should be concerned about installing 'decorative' lighting on their boats in various places, including underwater, on the rubrail, or just above the waterline. Care must be taken that these lights:
- cannot be mistaken for navigation lights,
- do not impair the visibility or distinctive character of approved and properly placed navigation lights, and
- do not interfere with the operator’s ability to maintain a proper lookout. Such circumstances may represent a violation of Rule 20.
Rule 20 specifies that only those lights prescribed, or those that don’t interfere with those prescribed, may be used. Haphazard installation of additional lighting must be avoided. A violation can occur if the installation of additional lights can be construed as a light required by the Rules for another vessel. For instance, blue underwater LED lights can appear to be flashing if there is any wave action, giving the appearance of a flashing blue light only authorized to be used by law enforcement vessels per 33 CFR 88.05. "

Ref link: http://www.usmsa.org/uscg-marine-safety-alert-10-15-navigation-lights-the-rules-for-your-safety/

Screenshot_20171124-200008.png
Screenshot_20171124-200017.png

Worth noting, different bodies of water have different prevailing regulations, so each captain should know local rules and adjust accordingly.

Also, I had RGB lights on my swim platform and was mindful of this when I was underway (not saying I did not use them underway, but that I kept this in mind depending on the situation).

Last edited:

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Neutron great looking lights! Just got the same ones myself and am going to start the install this week.

One quick question as I’m seeing lots of conflicting info in my research. How did you wire them up? Did you do them in parallel or in a series? I’m seeing pros and cons about both.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My tower lights are tied into anchor light, to make things easier. No issues at all.
My cockpit and swim platform lights are with existing cockpit ligjts

vxooxv

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I can't seem to find these in RGB to tie into speaker rings and RGB controller. I tend to stick with 'blue' so I'm tempted.... so very tempted.

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Here’s ours after we got done. Pics don’t do it justice, they look more purple in the photos. I added 3 on the swim deck, 6 in the cockpit, and swapped out the stock courtesy lights over to blue as well. 9C826295-1414-42BE-8CEC-AB172EB58659.jpegC63A3EE9-AA6E-4D48-A18B-CDBB30D69657.jpeg575CFBA1-A4D6-456A-A255-A3C877643A2A.jpegDAAF9B4E-1290-4EE4-8798-4976FDB467A3.jpeg

vxooxv

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What did you use to seal them?
@AndyD did you do these in series?

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
What did you use to seal them?
@AndyD did you do these in series?
I siliconed them in the holes to prevent water penetration. I ran them in parallel; one circuit for the cockpit and one for the swim deck. The courtesy lights were already wired so I just swapped out the fixture. I used one run of black and red 14 gauge through the cockpit to my fuse block I installed behind the helm and tapped the lights into the wire with these. They worked great!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B077YB123S?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_yo_pop_mb_pd_t2

Got the lights here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B072TZTW21?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_yo_pop_mb_pd_t2