• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Fire extinguishers in 212x

jayman1234

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Looking for suggestions on the best location and method for mounting our fire extinguishers.
Have one in the helm compartment and one in the storage where the batteries are.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have 3 fire extinguishers, because 2 are required. I have a dry chemical mounted to the inside wall by the batteries (I unscrewed the bracket for the table, added the bracket, and screwed the bracket back in). I have a dry chemical mounted in the helm compartment (high up, right by the door on the aft side of the hatch). I have a CO2 mounted below that with the bracket situated so that the extinguisher just sits on the bottom of the compartment (those are heavy suckers)--then I have a twist-tie-type cord holder also holding it back to the wall. Sits right below the dry chem one.

(BTW, after researching, I discovered that probably the CO2 would be the best choice for an engine fire. A dry chem would kill all the electronics with corrosion, but probably would not kill the fire, as the spray through the fire port would go right between the engines--not where a fire is likely. CO2 would not kill electronics, is a gas so would smother everywhere and basically flood the whole compartment very quickly.)

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What is the criteria for two being required?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I sit corrected. One is required for less than 26'. 46 CFR 25.

(I still have 3)