• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First Boat - 2019 SX195

JMDyamota

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Hello all. First time boat/jet boat owner here.

Wife, kids, and I have always liked spending time at the lake. For years we have been 4 wheeling out to different spots on the shore, but we grew tired of being shore bound. As a kid, my parents had a 19 foot bow rider but I hadn't done any boating in decades and my wife and kids had never done any boating. Well, we rented boats a few times this summer (one of which was a SX190). I had many fond memories come rushing back to me and the family loved it. As a result, we quickly concluded that we "needed" a boat. Due, in part, to lots of useful information from this site, we picked up a 2019 Yamaha SX195 this past weekend. We are thrilled to have it and have already put one great day in the memory bank. As newbs, we can't wait to get the stress of docking, launching, and retrieving behind us!

Thanks to everyone for all the great information.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello all. First time boat/jet boat owner here.

Wife, kids, and I have always liked spending time at the lake. For years we have been 4 wheeling out to different spots on the shore, but we grew tired of being shore bound. As a kid, my parents had a 19 foot bow rider but I hadn't done any boating in decades and my wife and kids had never done any boating. Well, we rented boats a few times this summer (one of which was a SX190). I had many fond memories come rushing back to me and the family loved it. As a result, we quickly concluded that we "needed" a boat. Due, in part, to lots of useful information from this site, we picked up a 2019 Yamaha SX195 this past weekend. We are thrilled to have it and have already put one great day in the memory bank. As newbs, we can't wait to get the stress of docking, launching, and retrieving behind us!

Welcome! and don;t be shy to post pics!!!
These 2019 redesigned 190/195 are pretty awesome.

--

SteveRVA

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We just picked up our first boat as well. Right there with you regarding the stress of docking, launching, and retrieving! I'm sure we'll both figure it out soon enough. We took it out for our first trip last Saturday and waited until the dock area was clear :) I told everyone we are new to this, WATCH OUT.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Congrats!

Keep calm, plan ahead, and before you know it you'll be putting on a clinic. You'll look less stupid resetting and taking another run at it (whether docking or backing the trailer) than you will trying to "fix" a bad approach and smashing something.

Get wound up, rush, try to force a situation and we'll see you on YouTube.

tomeygun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
As newbs, we can't wait to get the stress of docking, launching, and retrieving behind us!
Amen to that. After a season under our belts, the lady and I finally have a smooth process of operation. Many of days in parking lot with cones having her learn how to back a trailer. Now I operate boat and she operates truck for the most part.

Couple items I feel really helped us: (search on amazon)
*Davis Instruments Tender II Fender Clips - So my bumpers are already set height wise
*Plastic Tactical Carabiner - Same thing, these are pre-set and I quickly loop around the tower and clip on a loop knotted in the bumper line
*Kwik Tek AIRHEAD AHDL-4 Bungee Dockline - lets the boat move some and no abrupt snap when dockline gets tight, I use along with 20ft dock lines if needed
*VE-VE Trailer guide poles - My friends gave me a ton of crap, but you know what? When there is a 20mph cross wind, no problem now. just put the nose in and ease it in. I have the pads on them so no issues with damage to rub rails.
*Bigger Bumper on front since the boat curves in. I think I use a 10inch up front.

PS - Number one fail I see at the boat ramp: Trailer TOO FAR in water, not allowing bunks to center the boat and bow too low coming in. Best to avoid that. LOL
PPS - I made the newbie mistake of using the cleats for bumpers, thats a no-no... Cleats for docklines. Heck the cleats are not positioned right anyway

tomeygun

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Ohhh and Keel Guard. Very nice since we spend much time on river

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
F Y I I am currently working with the laser company to update my steering systems for the 2019 model nozzles and reverse gates. I am also working on a 2019 version of the single engine viper system for this design. I do have a waiting list for all the systems once they are available, as for the models up to and including 2018 if you quickly jump in on the sale you can save some money on the most effective and most versatile steering systems on the market .

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Welcome. I installed a 4th pop-up cleat on each side since the front cleat is practically worthless. I use 2 cleats and loop a fender through the tower. Depending on the dock height I will loop it once for a low dock and twice for higher docks. If I'm going to tie up the boat, I use the front cleat and rear cleat to tie up the boat. Cleat 5.jpg

JMDyamota

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Thanks for the welcome, suggestions, and encouragement. We took delivery of the boat at the lake and had on-boat instruction from the dealer on docking, retrieving etc. That was very helpful. Just need practice.

Our first retrieve at the ramp was comical. It's one thing to practice loading the boat away from the launch ramp with no wind and an entirely different thing to back down a busy launch ramp and load the boat with a 10+ mph cross wind. However, with humility and a sense of humor, I found that other boaters can be quite helpful. Only way to go is up!

I appreciate the recommendations and will look into those products. I like that 4th cleat! I was worrying about getting adequate protection from bumpers as the stern cleat is so low and the bow cleat is so far forward. I picked up a pair of Airhead Suction Cup tie downs to try before entertaining something more permanent. I also have those adjustable straps for the bumpers. They seem OK.

Cobra Jet, thanks for the FYI. I'm going to spend some time getting used to my boat as is, but very well may be in touch in the future.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@JMDyamota, your story sounds like ours in 2014. Best of luck in your new boat. It's such a great lifestyle and the kids really get into it. Soon enough they'll bring friends and you'll grow greater bonds with your kids and their friends. Keep us updated on the newly designed 19 footer!

mdchachi

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Instead of the front cleat, you can use the grab handle to hang the front fender.