• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First Boat Family of 4

Slfmde

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking for my first boat for a family of 4, two kids are 4yrs old. Originally I started looking at pontoons and they seem to be great for family's but, I feel like it's the smart car of boats lol. They don't have the cool factor I guess. So that landed me here.

Like I said this would be my first boat as in never even drove a boat before. I want something fairly easy to learn the ropes on. I'm looking at the 210 and now the 195. I'm wondering if the 195 has enough room for my family and if this boat is even appropriate for kids (4yr's old) that young?

I will only be in creeks, river and bay occasionally. From the videos I watched and research I've done the 195/210 seems to be a fairly good beginners boat. I prefer the 195 because I think it would be easier for a rookie but, I'm concerned it may be too small.

All opinions welcome, thanks!

smack

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
My first boat was an SX210 , now in a 242. For a family of four (we are five) the 210 is a great boat , 4 year olds will love it and it's great to bring family and friends along. Twin engines give you a little more when you've got two families (8 people) on and as your kids start to want to tube with friends you'll be glad for the extra space. We usually bring friends along which is why we moved to the 242 for a little more space. I've not boated in a 195 but walked around one at the marina , might be tight if you had two families on but I'm sure you could make it work.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So...two schools of thought.....Some will say "buy your second boat first", and they aren't wrong. If you KNOW boating is for you, then buying the bigger boat right out of the gate can save some cash. The other is "buy used first, and see if it's for you". I'm in the second camp more than the first. The wife and I bought a 9yr old well maintained boat as our first to see if we really liked it. Paid $9,200 for it, and sold it 7yrs later for $7,800. It was a good boat and we learned a TON about boating, the lifestyle that goes with it, the expenses involved, and who/what kind of people we had with us on a regular basis. That knowledge REALLY REALLY helped shape our decision for our second boat (a brand new 2017 AR190). I HIGHLY recommend buying a used boat as your first. Get the bonks at the dock out of the way (it WILL happen), get the learning curve under your belt, and not lose a ton of money if you realize that it's just simply more work than you are committed to for a "leisure" activity.

NOW......to answer your question. We had TWO full familys on our boat this weekend. Four Adults, Two teenagers, and two 5yr olds. 8 total passengers, and we had an acceptable amount of room for cruising around, swimming, and some watersports. It was a great time, and we spent about 6hrs on the water. A good time was had by all. The 190 provided plenty of power and plenty of safety for a day on a medium sized inland lake.

This sized boat is plenty appropriate for that age group and sized family. It's fast enough to keep Dad entertained, and safe enough to keep Mom happy. Get one with a tower, and the wake sports will keep the little guys entertained for years to come. The ride is high and dry, and it's smooth enough to cut through a moderate shop.

The jet takes some getting used to in how "loose" it drives compared to a regular propped boat, but it's not bad at all. Handling around the dock takes practice, however if you have no premonitions on how it's "supposed" to work, then you'll climb that learning curve easily and quickly. Again a used boat won't hurt quite as bad when you bonk it into the dock the first outing.

The AR190/SX190 slightly used provides a GREAT value. They can be had for under $25k pretty readily, and will last if you decide this is for you. If you decide it isn't for you, then you can probably flip it and not lose a ton of cash on the experiment. Especially if you are willing to put a little sweat equity into it.

Welcome to the site, and ask all the questions you like. Most of us here like to type and enjoy the conversation. There's a good chance you can find a local owner willing to help with a test drive (away from any sales pressure of the dealership, and with some owner honesty thrown in) if you ask around.

Slfmde

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Guys thanks so much for the quick replies! Lots of great feedback. I've considered used but was concerned that I don't know anything about boats and wouldn't know if it was properly maintained. I'm a car guy and could probably figure it out just haven't had the chance to get hands on yet. 2017 is the first year for the 195 correct? I haven't come across any used and it seems like it's pretty good value over the 190.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
yes the 195 is new from 2017. I have the 2016 SX190 and have my wife and 4 kids. we still bring a grandparent as well and its tight, but we do it and love it. you wont regret either of the choices you have.

Also, this was my first boat too and I was worried about going with used and this is why I got new. doing it again I will get used for sure, but I still feel good about my choice of buying new for my first boat.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If possible, go to a Yamaha dealer or local boat show to crawl around a few models to get a feel for the space each has. When we were shopping I was pretty set on a 21', and after looking at a 19' that made the decision for us (plus we didn't have a vehicle to tow a 24' at the time). The 19 footers just felt too small for our needs, those models are narrower and the free board (sides of the boat) is lower and we felt that for having small kids it was safer to have the higher sides inside.

We also planned on having a boat to take one more family out with us. We're also a family of 4 (kids were 2 and 4 when we bought ours), so we were looking for something that would be good to have 8-9 on board. The 210 has worked well for that, more storage, more seating, overall just big enough. I'm sure our next boat will be somewhere in the 23-25' range, but for now the AR210 has been great.

Good luck and have fun with the shopping... Don't hesitate to ask more questions, we're happy (maybe too happy? :confused:) to help out!

kyle

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We were in the same boat, 4 of us and then whoever wanted to tag along. We ended up buying the 195 because we wanted the smaller boat, but wanted the extra power because I knew it would always be a full load on board. The storage in the boat is amazing. With just 4 on board its more than plenty. Ive had 8 on board and it was obviously super crowded but we managed and had a great day. Even with all those people on board we were able to hit 41 mph and had more than ample power for watersports. If I had the money I would love to have the 24ft boat but its just not in the cards. We also wanted something small enough so my wife could easily tow it while I tow the camper with the truck. If you have any other specific questions let me know. This forum has been great to me and which allowed me to get the exact boat we wanted.

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Looking for my first boat for a family of 4, two kids are 4yrs old. Originally I started looking at pontoons and they seem to be great for family's but, I feel like it's the smart car of boats lol. They don't have the cool factor I guess. So that landed me here.

Like I said this would be my first boat as in never even drove a boat before. I want something fairly easy to learn the ropes on. I'm looking at the 210 and now the 195. I'm wondering if the 195 has enough room for my family and if this boat is even appropriate for kids (4yr's old) that young?

I will only be in creeks, river and bay occasionally. From the videos I watched and research I've done the 195/210 seems to be a fairly good beginners boat. I prefer the 195 because I think it would be easier for a rookie but, I'm concerned it may be too small.

All opinions welcome, thanks!

The 195 is perfect for your family. You have 6-8 years of use before the kids are big enough to start making it feel crowded. The 210 is a good value, but the performance will be quite a bit below the 195. If it is your first boat, I would put CobraJet fins on it before your first outing. Get a good setup of bumpers and ropes for docking and have it set up before approaching a dock. Leave the family at home and bring a friend that has some boating experience on the first trip.

Don't be scared of a new boat. The 19 footers are easy to store, tow and handle in the water.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Coming from someone who had a SX190 go with a AR190 or AR195. The seating configuration really makes the boat feel bigger.

Slfmde

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks everyone leaning towards ar195. Closest dealer I can find is about 2hrs away and they don't have a 195. Anyone know of a dealer closer to southern MD? Last question when does the next year model typically get released? Any info. available on the 2018 yet? I'm may just wait for that.

Last edited:

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Slfmde First I love the name.
IMO
the answer to new or use is "it depends". I normally by new. I keep my cars and other toys a long time so depreciation does not normally enter into my equation. Now if on the other hand you don't keep things long then think of buying used so the depreciation does not kill you.
All that said I just bought my first jet boat that was used. It is a 2011 AR210 and I love it. I bought it from Bayside Jet Drive in Berlin Md. I bought used because I was not sure how long I
would keep it. I am 73 in September, but, now doubt if I will give up boating and tubing with my grand children anytime soon. Anyway they do as others said take a little bit of getting use to especially if you are going to a jet boat from a prop boat.
Now I know our season can last a little longer then up north however if you are not sure of what size you want you just might want to wait for the end of the season. Some say you can find good deals. The only other advice I can give you is if you buy from a dealer check their reputation and if you buy used have a professional look at it for you. In either case it should save you a lot of aggravation in the long run[flag]

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I started with the 192 and had a blast. But...we had a few trips with others and it quickly started to feel too small. I decided to go all out and got the AR240 which I don't regret at all. I would recommend going with the 21 if you can afford it and have a truck/vehicle to tow it.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I started with the 192 and had a blast. But...we had a few trips with others and it quickly started to feel too small. I decided to go all out and got the AR240 which I don't regret at all. I would recommend going with the 21 if you can afford it and have a truck/vehicle to tow it.
I know you are leaning 19' but listen to what he said, he started 19 and really wanted 24, I did the same. If it is mostly you 4, then you are good with a 19', but adding a few friends and it gets crowded IMO.

Also, twin engines *21' and above) gives you redundancy that you don't have with a single engine.

If you suspect your kids will love the boat and want to go out alot AND you can store a larger boat, I would go larger than 19'

where are you located?

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have you considered buying a used 21', 23', or 24' Yamaha? This approach could get your family into a boat with room to grow (addressing the "buy your 2nd boat first" concept) while minimizing your up front investment as you get into boating. Well maintained Yamaha jet boats can run reliably and cost-effectively for many, many years.

Full disclosure, I have such a boat for sale:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/wisconsin-2008-yamaha-sx-230-ho.14679/

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can anyone tell me how post ended it up in bold it was not my intention Thanks[flag]

Slfmde

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
where are you located?
I'm in southern MD, Port Republic about 10 miles north of Solomons Island. The main reason I'm leaning towards 19ft is because I have no experience with boats. I just imagine myself banging into the dock and who knows what else with a larger boat. I guess I'm not opposed to a used low hour boat. How many hours is considered "low"? I know it's relative to the year but just generally speaking is under 50, 100 or maybe 200 considered low?

The only thing about the 21ft besides be larger is I'm not feeling the motors. From what I read they aren't the greatest. AR240 seems super nice but it also seems really big for a newbie.

I have a beefed up Super Duty so towing isn't an issue other than I've never actually towed anything lol.

Last edited:

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't think a 210 is automatically better than the 195 depending on how you boat. For starters a 210 is considerably more expensive new, and there is significant loss of performance. That may or may not be important to you, and the fit and finish will be nicer on the 195 even though it's the less expensive boat. Now all of that you could eventually upgrade on the 210 except the power. No, more room can't be added aftermarket, but 4 people especially with 2 of them being young kids is nothing. Just your family and all of their gear and some will easily be fine. If that's how you plan on boating 90% of the time then that is probably the way to go. Even if you added another kid to the mix you'll still have room. Now maybe you want to bring another family and their 2 kids. You'll be cramped period. But if that's just every once in awhile it hardly justifies a price jump to the 210.

Boats have a lot of hidden costs so if it's your first boat and you might not be aware of them. It's easy for someone to say buy a bigger boat, or buy your second boat first, but no one offering this advice has any clue the financial burden that stretching your budget may cause. I think your logic is sound it being your first boat. It's going to get damaged and there is going to be a learning curve and you don't really know exactly what you and your family want or need in a boat.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
that 195 will work for you for 5 yrs or so. then youll want SPACE. I promise.

we bought our 18' rated for 8 passenger Non jetboat I/O 5 yrs ago. my two boys were 5 and 9. Absolutely perfect for learning good boating practice and having a good time. But those boys are now 10 and 14. Now, It still WORKS just causes some difficulty. We like to bring folks along, normally having a full 8 people aboard. It gets cramped. not enough to stop us from going, but enough that I Wish for more.

we had stopped worrying about it, but my 14 yr old is almost 6 ft. so we are back on the jetboat plan. it will be at least a 21' with the twin 180's. But If we can swing it in the next year or two, Id like a 24'

in the interim, we bought a lilypad to take with us. which SERIOUSLY helps us in the coving department! you should get one. kids LOVE it.

do want to note, as far as space goes... foot for foot, nobody, besides pontoons, can touch these yamahas. (chaparral gettin close though) Ive been in almost all of them. The 19' yamahas feel at least 5 ft over the size of my 18' inside, due to no engine compartment. and the 24 felt like a small apartment. LOL

ENJOY!

Slfmde

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks everyone, I'm taking all advice into consideration. I'm opening my search to 2-3yr old 212x and ar240 . I'm taking the 210 off the table because it seems to be under powered. I really just need to find a dealer that has something in stock to check out.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't think the you will immediately want MORE space.....We're on season 8 of owning a 19' boat. First 7 in a Rinker, this one in a Yamaha. 8 Adults is crowded, 4 adults and some kids is not bad. Had 4 adults, 2 13yr olds, and 2 6yr olds out last weekend. A fun time was had by all and we never felt cramped.

The reduced fuel usage, and storage cost of a 19' Yamaha (with it's larger than most interior) really made the case for us. We're on the water 3 out of 4 weekends a month and are under $400/mo in total cost for the boat considering payment, insurance, fuel, food, and accessories. That's with a brand new boat. Probably find a gently used one for even less.