• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First Boat - Is Jetboat Right For Us

LG71GSZ

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Other
Hello...we are a family of three entirely new to boating. We now have a dock on a tidal river, and we think this may be the right time for us to buy our first boat. We’ve looked into a number of boat types, and based upon what we’ve read about Yamaha jet boats, we‘re thinking they might be the right choice. Today, we went to look at the 195S, and our Yamaha dealer told us they weren’t sure when the next new boat would be in (due to factory closing) and they had no used boats either. On our way home we happened across a Scarab dealer, and we were able to look at several new and used models from 16’ to 25’. Looking for any guidance the experienced folks on this forum could provide. We’re planning to use the boat primarily for cruising and exploring the river now, but also thinking our 7yr old will want to start tubing and other activities soon enough. We would be grateful for any advice/opinions about brand, size and features. Thank you!

The Yamahas are good boats and represent an excellent value, especially at the "lower" end of the model spectrum. Quick question: Does your water have much in the way of floating or sub-surface vegetation or debris? In my opinion, vegetation and debris are the kryptonite to these boats. If you don't have that issue, this could be a great choice for a first (or maybe forever) boat.

We just got our first boat last year 06 Yamaha ar230. I feel it is a great boat to learn with very reliable easy to maintain and soo much fun. I cant speak to the scarab boats but the jets a great no prop for the little one to hit and the clean out ports make quick work of removing any debris you may suck up. Just my 2 cents. Best of luck in your search.

If I didn't get a Yamaha. And wanted a jet I would get a twin engine. If you suck up a rope or debris with Yamaha clean out port you have chance to clear it. With other single engine jets you'd be stranded.

We recently got an SX190 as our first boat. I struggled getting it on the boat lift with our prevailing cross wind but Cobra fangs took care of that for the most part (and practicing). At low tide the depth at the dock is about 3 feet which is a big reason we went with the jet boat. The rear deck is very nice at the local sandbars with the grandkids.

Welcome to the group. There's owners of both brands here. Yamaha had kind of dominated the market since SeaDoo quit manufacturing their jet boats. Also, the Yamaha financing makes them very affordable. Now, both Scarab and Chaparral have picked up where SeaDoo left off and introduced their own jet boat models with the Rotax marine powerplants.

Yamaha seems to have more of a cult following. Their boats are not without fault. There have been build quality complaints, etc... but overall they have the reputation of being extremely reliable and most love owning them. I know I love mine.

Chaparral also has a pretty exceptional reputation with their I/O boats. Their Vortex brand jet boats I think have little complaints about the build quality of the boats themselves, they're attractive looking boats. The Rotax engines have had a few rumours thrown around about a exhaust part melting causing flooding and supercharger maintenance. I think problems are in the minority and maintenance is maintenance, just educate yourself on it. Maybe @Dean P has more to say on the Rotax? On another note, the Rotax 300 sounds like a pretty amazing engine... and you can get TWIN 300s in both the Chaparral and Scarab. Yamaha isn't competing much in terms of power options. The twin 1.8L I have in my AR240 are adequate and add up to 360HP. It's still very sporty feeling, but they lack top end speed.

Scarab is a reintroduction of the brand. Historically I don't think they ever produced a jetboat...? Their design is beautiful! Although on the 25' boat I prefer the look and integration of the tower and bimini in the Yamaha's. I've heard a few more complaints about build quality, but again it seems to be the exception.

I think in the equation, dealer support is key. If you have a warranty issue, having the dealer back you and manage repairs is a big bonus. I've been fortunate within my Yamaha not to have had the need for any dealer intervention.

Good luck! Hopefully we see an update with a picture of beautiful boat sitting at your dock.

Welcome! As mentioned above, there are pros and cons to each make and model. The clean-out ports on the Yamaha are an absolute must for me as we boat in muddy bottom lakes/rivers that tend to have a lot of floating debris after any kind of rainfall. I have yet to suck something up that has warranted pulling the clean-out ports though. That's not to say that i haven't had a small stick in there a low speeds... Just using the old "reverse trick" usually takes care of that problem and we are on our way. The Yamaha boats are super easy to work on and maintain and have a fantastic reputation for being some of the most reliable boats on the water. In any case, good luck with your search! Can't wait to see your new ride!

Back