• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First Jet Boat Purchase (AR-192)

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Hello everyone. I've been a boat owner now for about 10 years. I have owned a 1979 Searay SRV190, a 17' closed bow little runabout. I've rebuilt the deck, transom and outdrive. Since I've owned it, many lessons have been learned. I've figured out how to fix a faulty spark plug on the fly, a worn out condenser wire, repaired a fuel pump on the fly, and cleaned out the carb, all on the water. I've changed out faulty bellows, gimbal bearings, impellers, and exhaust risers.

Enough with that, the boat is older than I am and I'm ready to have a boat from this century, no this millennium! So I've been considering this boat, its a 2014 AR-192 with 22 hours. Its about a 5 hour drive away from me, but just wanted to see what you guys thought of this price and model year. Price is 21,999. link is below to a FB marketplace, hope it works.

Sorry if the post is boring or long, but just wanted to give a bit of background into my boat hunting effort.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Soonerlt

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@yjander, plenty of experienced members on here that will give you great advice and perspective. So I won’t help you much there as I’ve only owned my 2018 SX195 for two years. However, I will vouch for the dealer where this boat is listed. From the picture it looks like my local dealer here in Old Hickory TN. Great people, honest and reasonable. Good luck on your quest.

dscable

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello everyone. I've been a boat owner not for about 10 years. I have owned a 1979 Searay SRV190, a 17' closed bow little runabout. I've rebuilt the deck, transom and outdrive. Since I've owned it, many lessons have been learned. I've figured out how to fix a faulty sparkplug on the fly, a wornout condensor wire, repaired a fuel pump on the fly, and cleaned out the carb, all on the water. I've changed out faulty bellows, gimbal bearings, impellers, and exaust risers.

Enough with that, the boat is older than I am and I'm ready to have a boat from this century, no this millennium! So I've been considering this boat, its a 2014 AR-192 with 22 hours. Its about a 5 hour drive away from me, but just wanted to see what you guys thought of this price and model year. Price is 21,999. link is below to a FB marketplace, hope it works.

Sorry if the post is boring or long, but just wanted to give a bit of background into my boat hunting effort.
View attachment 108303

Thanks!
That seems to be an EXCELLENT price for a boat with only 22 hours. I have a 2013 AR190, only had it a few months, but very happy with my purchase. Welcome to the forum and let us know what you decide to do!

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
@yjander, plenty of experienced members on here that will give you great advice and perspective. So I won’t help you much there as I’ve only owned my 2018 SX195 for two years. However, I will vouch for the dealer where this boat is listed. From the picture it looks like my local dealer here in Old Hickory TN. Great people, honest and reasonable. Good luck on your quest.
Thanks. The dealer is Anderson Marine near Knoxville. Good to hear there are honest dealers out there. Thanks for your reply.

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
That seems to be an EXCELLENT price for a boat with only 22 hours. I have a 2013 AR190, only had it a few months, but very happy with my purchase. Welcome to the forum and let us know what you decide to do!
I thought so too. I've been doing some price research for the past year or so on Yamaha jet boats. This seems to be one of the better priced AR 192s I've seen out there. I seen some pretty good priced 2008 to 2009 232s, but coming from a 17-ft boat I really like the form factor of a 19-footer. It's me and my wife and our four-year-old. Sometimes the cousins. But honestly we really just like to go to a beach and hang out most of the day. Boat is really just a way of getting there and back.

Now that I've said it like that, I should probably just keep my boat and not have a payment. Haha that's crazy talk!

dscable

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I thought so too. I've been doing some price research for the past year or so on Yamaha jet boats. This seems to be one of the better priced AR 192s I've seen out there. I seen some pretty good priced 2008 to 2009 232s, but coming from a 17-ft boat I really like the form factor of a 19-footer. It's me and my wife and our four-year-old. Sometimes the cousins. But honestly we really just like to go to a beach and hang out most of the day. Boat is really just a way of getting there and back.

Now that I've said it like that, I should probably just keep my boat and not have a payment. Haha that's crazy talk!
I have had the 190 out with me, the wife, and another adult couple (one of our adult daughters and her boyfriend) and had zero concerns with weight or space. First boat for me, though I have been around them and driving them most of my adult life, so I liked the 19ft form factor as well. I am sure the 242 is somewhere in my future, but happy with the 190 for now.

Soonerlt

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks. The dealer is Anderson Marine near Knoxville. Good to hear there are honest dealers out there. Thanks for your reply.
That’s the one. Just note they are outside Nashville if your planning the drive time.

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
That’s the one. Just note they are outside Nashville if your planning the drive time.
Thanks, its late and I should be sleeping instead of thinking of a new boat. I know its outside of Nashville! Appreciate the vibes I'm getting!

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I have had the 190 out with me, the wife, and another adult couple (one of our adult daughters and her boyfriend) and had zero concerns with weight or space. First boat for me, though I have been around them and driving them most of my adult life, so I liked the 19ft form factor as well. I am sure the 242 is somewhere in my future, but happy with the 190 for now.
ok good to hear. One of my big concerns is that I hear lots of people mention/comment about the noises or vibrations from these boats. I come from a 79 Searay with a inline 6 cylinder in it. It vibrates and makes a lot of noise at cruising speed. I'm not used to a boat that is quiet by any means.

I'm just not sure if the people who comment about noises or vibrations are coming from newer (2000+) sterndrives with much more sound proofing and engine coverings. I don't think it'll be a concern, its not like the wife and I have conversations while underway. We just smile and listen to the sound of the boat splashing through the water anyway!

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Quick response based on your requirements. I think it is a great price as long as it checks out. Check out the status of timing belt and whether that was corrected as this is an issue for 2013-2015. Have them update the chain and offer to pay $500 to settle at $21k out the door. Otherwise personally I would look at a 2016+

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Quick response based on your requirements. I think it is a great price as long as it checks out. Check out the status of timing belt and whether that was corrected as this is an issue for 2013-2015. Have them update the chain and offer to pay $500 to settle at $21k out the door. Otherwise personally I would look at a 2016+
Thanks for the ideas. When I talk to them again, i'll bring that up. How could I tell if its been done or not, from a cursory look. I guess you can't tell just from looking, would need receipts of the work.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Hello everyone. I've been a boat owner now for about 10 years. I have owned a 1979 Searay SRV190, a 17' closed bow little runabout. I've rebuilt the deck, transom and outdrive. Since I've owned it, many lessons have been learned. I've figured out how to fix a faulty spark plug on the fly, a worn out condenser wire, repaired a fuel pump on the fly, and cleaned out the carb, all on the water. I've changed out faulty bellows, gimbal bearings, impellers, and exhaust risers.

View attachment 108303

Thanks!
Very sharp looking! Looks like the boat has been well taken care of. I had the 2015 SX-192. Loved it and kept it for 3 years. No problems at all. Good deal. Good luck!

Welcome to the forum :Welcome:!!! Lots of good people here to help keep you on the water and you wallet empty (thru mods of course). Enjoy...

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Very sharp looking! Looks like the boat has been well taken care of. I had the 2015 SX-192. Loved it and kept it for 3 years. No problems at all. Good deal. Good luck!

Welcome to the forum :Welcome:!!! Lots of good people here to help keep you on the water and you wallet empty (thru mods of course). Enjoy...
Thanks for welcome. I've been a lurker for quite a while, i'm hoping to make it happen this winter.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for the ideas. When I talk to them again, i'll bring that up. How could I tell if its been done or not, from a cursory look. I guess you can't tell just from looking, would need receipts of the work.
Its a timing chain not belt, just so you know when you ask them.

The 2016+ timing chain upgrade kit will run $1,425 in parts alone plus whatever labor. It’s not a cheap upgrade so if it was done someone should have the paperwork to prove it. Link to kit 2016 Yamaha Timing Chain Engine Upgrade Kit [2016 upgrade kit] : PWC Performance Parts

Kit contains the following components:
Crankshaft
Timing Chain
Cam Sprockets
Dampeners (chain guides)
Cam Gear bolts

yjander

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Its a timing chain not belt, just so you know when you ask them.

The 2016+ timing chain upgrade kit will run $1,425 in parts alone plus whatever labor. It’s not a cheap upgrade so if it was done someone should have the paperwork to prove it. Link to kit 2016 Yamaha Timing Chain Engine Upgrade Kit [2016 upgrade kit] : PWC Performance Parts

Kit contains the following components:
Crankshaft
Timing Chain
Cam Sprockets
Dampeners (chain guides)
Cam Gear bolts
Thanks for the info. Is this a necessity in your opinion? I know you had a 2016 AR192, so your engine wasn't part of this issue, but I respect your opinion, based on what I've seen on this forum and your youtube channel.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for the info. Is this a necessity in your opinion? I know you had a 2016 AR192, so your engine wasn't part of this issue, but I respect your opinion, based on what I've seen on this forum and your youtube channel.
I don’t think it’s a necessity if the price was real good but I will say there is some piece of mind knowing you have the latest update. The failure rate on here isn’t high and when you factor in how many are sold each year it seems like such a rare chance it could happen. But....it is a known issue hence Yamaha finally updating it in 2016 so there is always the possibility. Just depends how much you really think it could be you that has an issue. I don’t think I would let it stop me if I found the right boat but I will say the changes the made to the interior for 2015+ is nicer appointed and something to think about aside from the timing chain. The bow backrest is nice to have for times you want to hang out up front and they didn’t add that until 2015 IIRC. They added Seadek swim platform in 2016 to replace the hydro turf of previous models as well as the forward swept tower. Just some things to consider but if none of that is a deal breaker or super important nothing wrong going with the older boats.

Last edited:

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The 195 has more power. Upgrading is expensive. Be sure you are very comfortable with the power offered, and do check on the Timing Chain. As reliable as they are, those years are the ones with the most severe known issue of the 4 strokes, in my opinion, in that timing chain. If you can jump to the 2016 I would consider it, Specially if you plan to keep it for many many years.

You will be blown away by fuel injection..it's awesome, no more carb problems.

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Don’t the newer than 2015 have a little more storage?

also better sound dampening?
Hinged seating?

@yjander are you financing at all or paying cash?

W3bexec

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A 2014 with 22 hours? OMG, I put 54 hours on mine the first year and I barely have a 4 month season.

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
That “ Special Yamaha Financing” the owner prolly used just hit its 5 Year mark and jumped from 2.9% to 7.9% and he said “ we hardly use it, let’s just sell it before we end up paying all this damn interest” .. just a guess lol