• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First long road trip with 242 SE

Paul Steele

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
First long road trip this week with new 242SE

Few questions - remove the Bimini top - for 10 hours of highway speed? Assume so but that it is a pain to put back up

Second - shopping cover or black cover for road trip?

Headed to Holden beach North Carolina - any where I need to stop on the intercostal ?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Personally I would trailer with the shipping cover. It's softer on the inside and has a weatherproof outside. The black cover IMO is more for mooring IMHO but I know many people on here tow with theirs. They just don't seem to hold up as long as the free shipping cover. Shipping cover is the ugly duckling but it's more robust for the towing job.

vanmurray

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
First long road trip this week with new 242SE

Few questions - remove the Bimini top - for 10 hours of highway speed? Assume so but that it is a pain to put back up

Second - shopping cover or black cover for road trip?

Headed to Holden beach North Carolina - any where I need to stop on the intercostal ?
I remove the bimini top canvas over 55mph and tow with premium Yamaha cover without the anti-pooling poles. I’ve noticed light scratches from cover rubbing on dark gel coat. Might pad under straps at rear corners next time.

I’ve spent a lot of time down there. Definitely go to Provisions Company (Holden Beach) and get the shrimp burger.
https://www.vanmurray.com/#/provision-company/

Inlet View Bar at mouth of Shallotte River is good with nice docks.

For day trips, Southport is also a good scenic ride from Holden (another Provisions, but no shrimp burger) or check out Bald Head Island. A day trip to Little River waterfront (Crab Catchers) is fun too.

Jealous. Have fun.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have fun with the west Virginia turnpike .. My wife is from parkersburg wv.. We took the boat up last summer and boated on the Ohio for a few days. We were towing with an 3/4 ton diesel.. It was no problem for the truck but I had to whoa that thing down on some of those high mountain turns south of Charleston..

Also they have closed i77 to trucks somewhere in wv.. I think they are doing it north bound side right now. My mother in law sent me a news article about it... I think they are allows cars through with one lane open but all commercial traffic is being rerouted through some little town. Not sure about trucks with trailers.. You Prob could Google it and find it.

Paul Steele

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212XD
Boat Length
I boated once before on intercostal in NC - hard to tell when in no wake or what speed limit - googled some buy nothing clearly explaining it

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I went through that section of I77 a week ago with my AR240. No issues with getting through.