• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First oil change recommended filter and oil

Bryon720

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Coming up on 10 hrs and looking into filters and oil. Are most of you staying with yamalube and genuine yamaha parts or venturing out. Also what are the part #'s on oil filters that you use and oil grade. 2019 SX210. Thx.

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’ve used Yamalube in the past but was just told to use Rotella 15/40 by a PWC mechanic/pro-racer.

He’s sponsored by Yamaha and gets their stuff for free but still uses Rotella (who doesn’t sponsor him). He gave me an explanation why it’s better, but I’ve slept since then.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where is the best place to buy Oil Change Supplies? Local Dealer?

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I use Rotella T6 and HiFlo filters, both from Amazon

Lord Vader

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
According to the manual you don’t have to change the oil filter until after 100 hours or 12 months. 91164 I used Castrol GTX 10w-40 but curious to see what others did too. The oil I pulled out after 10 hours looked just as good as the oil I was putting in, for what it’s worth. I used this extractor from Amazon and it worked perfectly!91165

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I went to the local auto parts store, bought a filter that matched and oil.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As to oil, I am not too picky on the brand. If I have heard of it and it is cheaper than the others, I get that. I think 5W-30, but I would need to check to confirm.

I always change the filter with the oil. Oil filter Yamaha 69j-13440-01-00, Fram PH3614, Wix 51348 Mobil M1-102, K&N HP-1001. In fact, I think I have used all of those brands... Why change the filter when the book says it is not needed? Because they have you change at 10 hours because they want you to get rid of any oil that has any cuttings in it prior to it ripping up the engine. Those could be caught in the filter and they can be sharp. Enough time and they could rip through. For $10, I consider it cheap insurance to change the filter, too.

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Call me crazy but I'm sticking with the OEM recommended oil and filter. Get it from Amazon.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Coming up on 10 hrs and looking into filters and oil. Are most of you staying with yamalube and genuine yamaha parts or venturing out. Also what are the part #'s on oil filters that you use and oil grade. 2019 SX210. Thx.
The recommended oil grades are in your owner's manual along with a lot of other things you should check out in it if you haven't already. I know a lot of guys who never read an owner's manual but with boats there are some things you need to read and understand on these boats, especially in regards to flushing procedure and safety stuff.

Recommended oil grades based on engine and your location temps:

image.jpeg

Last edited:

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, then I am sure I have 10W40 I put in. I always go back to that chart in the manual before I buy. But I never remember...

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like the 4W yamalube for the zdp or extra zinc that’s in there. I like the Yamaha filters also. I have used the ford filter the last change and it fits correctly. Change the filter every time. Put a dog pee pad under the engine and unscrew the filter into a plastic bag to catch the oil and filter.

Bryon720

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
According to the manual you don’t have to change the oil filter until after 100 hours or 12 months. View attachment 91164 I used Castrol GTX 10w-40 but curious to see what others did too. The oil I pulled out after 10 hours looked just as good as the oil I was putting in, for what it’s worth. I used this extractor from Amazon and it worked perfectly!View attachment 91165
Yeah I saw that in the manual, but I'm a change the oil change the filter type guy.

Bryon720

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The recommended oil grades are in your owner's manual along with a lot of other things you should check out in it if you haven't already. I know a lot of guys who never read an owner's manual but with boats there are some things you need to read and understand on these boats, especially in regards to flushing procedure and safety stuff.

Recommended oil grades based on engine and your locations temps.

View attachment 91177
Thanks for the reply, I've read the manual, just trying to get a feel from the guys who have done numerous oil changes compared to my first one with this boat. Not the first time I've changed oil just the first time with PWC type engines. I guess i'm just an information junkie before I make my decision on what I want to use.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just stopped in the dealer yesterday. I probably overpaid, but they're a nice shop and I want to keep them around. $80 for filter, oil, and spark plugs.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, see, mine was $350 plus for filter, oil and spark plugs. Great incentive to learn how to do it myself. Plus I would have to take the boat over to them, which is a pain.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, see, mine was $350 plus for filter, oil and spark plugs. Great incentive to learn how to do it myself. Plus I would have to take the boat over to them, which is a pain.
Keep in mind I only have one engine to change :)

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, but still... That would be $175 for one!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would use the Yamalube for the first change, my logic being - it is conventional oil and a safe choice for break-in period for these engines.

After that, I personally stick with Amsoil, their marine oil and their (motorcycle) filters are probably just about the best you can get, I do not think you can possibly go wrong there.
Yamaha "OEM" does not really mean OEM, and they just changed their filters without telling anyone few years back, same part number COMPLETELY different filter, used to be Made in Japan and packed with fleece-like material similar to what Merc-Benz was using, now it is paper media Made in Thailand looking just like FRAM filters on the inside - it's a POS at premium price. Anyone want to tell me this is the best because it is OEM, lol???

Amsoil filters that I get are feel like a brick in your hand, their oil components seem to have little batch to batch variation. It perhaps a bit more expensive, but who cares if you do this once or twice a year!

That said, most all branded engine oils within specs will be more than adequate these days, as long as you actually change it.

--