• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First service/Oil change questions

Janguh Lang

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Greetings to all ! Still trying to find the time to immensely reaearch this godsend of a website. My apologies if this is the wrong thread to ask these questions . Have not taken my phone aboard yet so my bad on the lack of photos, their comming.

Anyone used LUCAS OIL additive in their Supercharged Rotax ?

Anyone spliced in manual shut-offs in their exhaust hoes, sorry, ...Hose(s), instead of having the tube pinchers on hand for towing or 'limphome of their supercharged Rotax? If so, what size?

Anyone did the dealer 10hr check in a authorized Rotax dealer in Michigan? What did it cost for twin supercharged engines?

Got the Cobra Jet Steering for the 'seadoo' nozzles on today ... this may seem like a dumbarce question but.. any tips on how to use them or what to expect other than DRIVE IT! By the way I Have! and alls swell so far!! I love the extra handling it provides.

My depth guage works but how do I set it to sound off at all and or at a dept warning of my choosing?

I expected this would have had the ability to display watertemp? Any thoughts ? How tough is it to add on this feature?

I have been reading the Scarab Owners, Rotax, and trailer manuals but just a little so far . I Do want to read ALL of them but may take me a couple of weeks to get it in.

Many more ?s to come I'm sure ... someday I will hopefully be able to be the helper ..but as of now im the help-E

Thanks Yall

funbobby

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Anyone did the dealer 10hr check in a authorized Rotax dealer in Michigan? What did it cost for twin supercharged engines?
I had a 10 hr AND 25 hr service done at Wilson Marine in Brighton. $269.75 each

After the 25 hr service I asked why the receipt said "10 hr" service... they said "oh, you just have to have it done somewhere between 10 and 25 hours, so it's just written up that way."
So I said "Wait, I just got a $300 service I didn't need?!"
Dealer: "You already had the service at 10 hours?" (Apparently their system doesn't flag this, they would have to check manually.)
They said they contacted BRP due to past confusion on the issue and were told it was just one service within the 10-25 hr window.
So they refunded the labor portion of the bill which was nice.

Janguh Lang

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Awe Fresh! Nice to hear a dealer giving back.

Patient: " Hey Doc. So,... hows my cholesterol looking?" Dr. 《Snappíng on latex gloves'.. rolling over reaching in the drawer for the lubricant》' Please remove your shorts' Patient: I need another prostate exam? Doctor:'You mean we already stuck it to ya?'... oh here you can have these gloves back then since we Anal eyes your oil already .

Joking aside, Thanks for the saving advice. So did they make a plug and oil change & analysis or any adjustment settings to the engine via computer ? 300bones should go for a full point inspection and tune up seems to me.

So let me know if I have this right. Scarab rather Rotax need to see this done Initially after 10-25 or Every 25 during the 3 year warranty period inorder for us owners to be able to make a 'valid' claim!?

Any ScaRabian's like @ScarabMike .... hey buddy' I have the @cobrajetsteering ! feels like i just sharpened my hockey skates . Do you know of having these installed (Drilling thru the nozzles, and adding increased pressure and steering'torque' ) <totaly worth it ..its like a responsive feedback wheel at a simulated arcade that you pay Fifty tokens a ride now> ..i was saying do these or have you known any one to recieve Bull'ish from the dealer on some ...''sorry we cant warranty that sensor because you modified the vessel '' Garbage?

Pre She Ate It Fellas!

Janguh Lang

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Oh Belleville lake! @funbobby does It have much seaweed? Im going to have to cruise it soon before Michigan winter kicks in hardcore like MI does.

Janguh Lang

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Cant find any significant google'idge on LUCAS OIL AND ROTAX. Any one had success or otherwise?

Speed_Freak_039A

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Pretty sure my brp book says 10hrs for first oil change.

funbobby

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Oh Belleville lake! @funbobby does It have much seaweed? Im going to have to cruise it soon before Michigan winter kicks in hardcore like MI does.
As long as you stay away from the large cove immediately southeast of the Rawsonville Rd west DNR ramp (in blue) you'll be fine. That ramp is very small but free if you have the state park sticker ($11). DNR East ramp off E Huron River Drive (also marked in Blue) is the same deal but much larger. Sandy's Marina at the extreme east end is $5 and has very steep ramps. The star below the VBP Beach is the sandbar. Hayward's liquor store has a dock and there is restaurant next door with docks.
Belleville Lake.jpg

Janguh Lang

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Man U got it down to a science. Thaaanks for the Map. So let me get this strait, understand what you said to be that the liquor store is the prefered place to put'er in!? and as long as I stay east of the VBPB Im golden?

funbobby

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Man U got it down to a science. Thaaanks for the Map. So let me get this strait, understand what you said to be that the liquor store is the prefered place to put'er in!? and as long as I stay east of the VBPB Im golden?
You can go all the way to Rawsonville road and the ramp there, just don't venture too far into the red.
Hayward's just has a dock, no ramp. I use the east DNR ramp.

Janguh Lang

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Funbobby if you are familiar with how. U should srart a SE MI Lakes thread and Thro Belleville Lk all on it. We can move these few last posts to it so we I dont wreck the Oil Change Question thread.

Shane Scarab

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
All my dealer told me that we can ignore the 25 hr interval and that the oil change can wait until 50 hrs. This same dealer has also messed up some things on my boat already working on it.

I am at 41 hrs with no oil change, do you believe I've messed anything up? They assured me verbally that Scarab gave them the new information.

Shane Scarab

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
To add, I recently got a P2245 engine fault.

Jacques

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I got the same fault code P2245 between 40 and 50 hrs without affecting the boat performance... they cleared the code a couple times and they came back again until they replaced the O2 Sensors (under warranty)

Shane Scarab

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply @Jacques i took it for the maintenance interval light and they kept saying O2 sensor and I was very confused. Then they said never mind it doesn't need O2 sensors and I picked it up. Then hit the water and saw the fault codes light up for the first time with that code. I will tell them if they were considering replacing them then they should go ahead and do it!

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
What does the owners manual say about oil changes. 2014 195 HOI says "10 hour oil change and a 25 hour oil change". No sure if things have changed with the newer models..

Dirt squirt

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
I just got done changing the oil before I put her to bed. It's so easy even I could do it. You can pick up a siphon pump at China freight for 8 bucks and pull it out the dip stick tube. The proper size hose was included with the pump. I pumped it into a clearish gallon jug so I could check my progress and make sure I got all of the old oil out. I would like to know the trick to pulling the oil filter out without dripping oil into to bilge. Just put a bunch of rags under it? Maybe next year. That was my only hiccup. Sure beats paying dealer prices.

Janguh Lang

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I got the bigger extractor pump from FarterFreight with reservoir but had to get a longer tube so the thing would reach while resting level on the boat floor(pardon my lack of proper termonoligy of boat floor)
After the initial extraction and then about 6 different times doing a quick 1second turn of the key and re-extraction to get every last drop, I got exactly 1 gallon of oil from each engine. My dealership out in west MI wants 5ive 5undred 5ollarz to do the 10-15hr operational checkup OUCH! Anyone know all that they do? I asked them and they said 'we check a ho buncha stufff' . I dont like to be that pesky customer who is always looking for a deep explanation(which is what i want) in fear of being charged more because im considered to be a 'problem customer so i said, 'oh...ok'