• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First time after winter storage. What do I need to do and how do I do it?

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yep, you have the steps, only thing to really add is take off the old oil filter and install a new one. I also suck out a bit more oil thru the oil filter hole as well. The goal is to get as much out as possible, should be around 3.5L or so...
Thanks. Do you need any special tool to remove the oil filter?

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey@dansshin! Great to see you back. I just changed out the oil this spring and used this:
http://www.amazon.com/Fluid-Diesel-Extractor-Tubes-Truck/dp/B00AOAFP9C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1464749512&sr=8-2&keywords=electric+oil+extractor

Works great! It was on sale too when i bought it, so I saved about $6. Worth it for my sons 50cc motorcycle, our lawn mowers and power washers.

Put down some oil spill protection (I used a dogs wee wee pad) open the oil fill cap, let the oil extractor do its work (I got about 3.8 qts from my engine. Fill your new oil filter with oil and let it soak into the filter media, while thats sitting... Take off the old filter with a rag in hand to catch any spilling oil. After your new filter is semi filled screw it on, fill with your choice of oil, and check the level (several times). Plugs were easy to change not more than 2 minutes?! And while you're in there dont forget to squirt a few gentle pumps of grease into the bearing for the jet pump (Covered grease zerk fitting)

After reading about more timing chain failures, Ive stopped revving my engine to blow out excess cooling water.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hey@dansshin! Great to see you back. I just changed out the oil this spring and used this:
http://www.amazon.com/Fluid-Diesel-Extractor-Tubes-Truck/dp/B00AOAFP9C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1464749512&sr=8-2&keywords=electric+oil+extractor

Works great! It was on sale too when i bought it, so I saved about $6. Worth it for my sons 50cc motorcycle, our lawn mowers and power washers.

Put down some oil spill protection (I used a dogs wee wee pad) open the oil fill cap, let the oil extractor do its work (I got about 3.8 qts from my engine. Fill your new oil filter with oil and let it soak into the filter media, while thats sitting... Take off the old filter with a rag in hand to catch any spilling oil. After your new filter is semi filled screw it on, fill with your choice of oil, and check the level (several times). Plugs were easy to change not more than 2 minutes?! And while you're in there dont forget to squirt a few gentle pumps of grease into the bearing for the jet pump (Covered grease zerk fitting)

After reading about more timing chain failures, Ive stopped revving my engine to blow out excess cooling water.
Wow, that's much cheaper than the manual extractor... but I already placed my order. Where does the extracted oil go to? Did you run the engine to warm up the oil before removing the old oil? Do you have picture of where you put the grease for Jet Pump Bearings? Is it same on my model?

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thats why I like Amazon, I can always call and cancel anything anytime. I didnt warm up the oil, maybe next time. I did get a lot out though. It was so easy I may even change it again soon. I shot the oil right into an old gallon drink container. Someone posted the photo for me to find it. let me look and link it to this thread

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@njmr2fan It seems my boat maintenance list is growing. Thanks for the note on greasing the zerk fitting. What tool and what type of grease is required to do that? Also when changing the oil, does it help to do it on an incline? If so should the front of the boat tilt down or up? Not really looking forward to all these maintenance... LOL.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did my oil change right in the level garage with that electric extractor and got about 3.8 qts. I used Shell Rotella oil. I like it because I've had lots of luck running it in all my past and present 2.0L (Yamaha made) turbo MR2's. My time attack cars, and AutoX cross MR2's get beat on with high revs and the Rotella really stands up. The 1.8 in the boat is running 6000RPMS for super long stretches so I keep an eye and nose on the oil. I like the K&N filters, super easy to install and remove. Plugs were a bit of a pain, you have twice as many (But a bitchin boat!) so itll take you twice as long. Regular blue marine grease you can buy at Walmart is fine. Dont forget to pump some grease into your trailer bearings too. Get one of the kids to assist, It makes them feel awesome and it teaches them something at the same time. My 6 yr old is my right hand man and wants to help.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Last edited:

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's what I got from lowes. Green colored marine grease great for wheels and for jet.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Does anyone know how much oil capacity each engine takes?

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
1.8 hold 4 qts. But you'll be lucky to get 3.5 out of the extractor. I was able to pull 3.8 from the oil dipstick and oil filter holes.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Finally did the oil change. Pump took out about 3.5 liters of old oil from each engine. I think if the boat is leaning more down towards the front I could get little more oil out. My garage floor has only 7 degree slant towards the front. Also I decided not to run the engine before the oil change.

But I couldn't find the zerk fitting on my engine probably because of the "Super-Ultra-Low Emission" unit. What is the best way to get to the zerk fitting on this particular engine?

Last edited:

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
There were 4 oil filters that previous owner sent when I purchase the boat last year and unfortunately only 1 was genuine Yamaha filter and other 3 was Sierra Premium Filter.
https://www.amazon.com/Sierra-International-18-7906-1-Oil-Filter/dp/B002IVCNI6/ref=sr_1_6?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1466901058&sr=8-6&keywords=69j-13440-01

Ones I removed were genuine Yamaha filters. Sierra does fit but just wondering if there is any risk to using this instead of the genuine Yamaha oil filters? After you filled the oil in the engine, are you able to change out just the filter without making a mess if I wanted to swap them for Genuine Yamaha ones?

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@ClemsonTiger Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if I removed the filter if all the oil would spill out so it sounds like that shouldn't happen.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I read that Yamaha OEM oil filters are better quality (also noticed they are about 3 times more expensive as well) but I may switch them out next time I do the oil change which would be next spring. I have ~50 hours on my boat and I don't think I would run it for more than 40 hours this year so I think it would be fine on the Sierra premium oil filter until then. Thanks for your reply.

Fyi, when I removed the old filters there weren't that much oil in them but they have been just sitting inside my garage for ~8 months.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I used my boat only a few days before the oil change and there was hardly much dripping from them when I removed the filter. Wouldn't worry. I use K&N filters only because they were on sale on amazon when i looked. Has a nice nut welded on to grab with a wrench too. Fresh oil, fresh filter, nothing to worry over.

Maybe call a Yamaha dealer and inquire how you are supposed to grease the pump with the emission control device on there

Last edited: