• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lubing the jet pump bearing

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@SpotsyBoy Update your location.
The rattly noise you hear is (guessing) mostly when you are out of the water, and you run the engines, It is the stock impellers hitting or rubbing the housing. This is a very normal and common noise on new and used boats. If you want to get rid of it you have 3. options or possible causes
1. Send stock impellers to impros and hey will clean them up, repitch them, and round them to exact space,
2. Install solas impellers.
3. Possible being caused by wear ring.

The grease points. There is one per engine and it is for where the shaft goes thru the hull. Usually there is a hose that feeds the grease into the bearing. Being a used boat I would remove the hose at the bearing and pump new through till you see new grease. Then connect and pump maybe (guessing) 3 times till you feel the hose full. You are lubing the water seal and not the bearing at this point, so it is easy to overgrease.

Pump cone bearing/grease. you need to remove the parts at the rear of the jet. 1. steering cable 2. reverse bucket cable, 3. 4) bolts 14mm which hold on the pump nozzle and steering noozle. You will now see the pump cone which is held on with 2 allen bolts. Remove the allen bolts and pop the cone off. Look at the condition of the grease. It should not look like it has water or moisture in it, shite and pasty. The manual says the cone should be 1/2 full with Yahama Grease.

Hope this info helps. This information is corret to my understanding, if anyone wants to change or correct, great.

SpotsyBoy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First heard noise this past Sat when we were out on water. Took it out today before I winterized it to mix/run Marine Stabil. Still sounded a little off but ran just fine. My son thinks I'm hearing things (could be).

Attached is screenshot from Owner's manual. I don't think there's a hose. Just a nipple on the back of the engine. Though I'm not 100% sure b/c I've never really looked at it. But based on pic I dont see a hose...Assuming this is the same thing you mean...

View media item 2810

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just poke your head behind the motors. If zerk is on motor it will have a hose. Or you will see zerk on top of bearing,, between motor and rear of boat.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I wanted to share this trick I discovered about inspecting the condition of the grease inside the intermediate bearing. "Drive shaft bearing housing behind the engine"
The new bearings have the grease fitting on the housing and the earlier ones had a hose with a grease fitting mounted at the rear of the engine.
My bearings do not have the hose so I removed the grease fittings and replaced them with compatible hose barb fittings.
I then removed a black gasket from a 5 gallon bucket lid, those things are some seriously strong tubes, good for a lot of uses like replacing a vacuum hose or windshield washer tube , in any event I placed the tube on the hose barb and ran it out to a place where it is easy to access like the earlier style and added a grease fitting to the end of the hose. While doing this I realized if you remove the grease fitting you can use a piece of line trimmer heavy plastic string to sample the grease inside the bearing housing by simply placing it in the opening pushing it to the inside of the bearings and retracting it to see what the grease looks like.
No signs of water gives you a good idea of the condition and some peace of mind. If you have the hose you just pull it off the fitting use the plastic string to see what the grease looks like and return the hose to the fitting.

Last edited:

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Getting frustrated. I read this thread and went looking to do this today before it's forgotten about. Couldn't find the zerk. Do the 190s have them? Can a 190 owner chime in? I'm going at this again This week when I have some time. Thanks.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The one on the intermediate bearing housing is located on the top right of the housing. this one has the hose the others have a grease fitting where you see the hose attached to the housing.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Getting frustrated. I read this thread and went looking to do this today before it's forgotten about. Couldn't find the zerk. Do the 190s have them? Can a 190 owner chime in? I'm going at this again This week when I have some time. Thanks.
@njmr2fan Hope this helps. Please pardon my dirty bilge...

upload_2016-3-5_23-37-58.png

upload_2016-3-5_23-38-18.png

upload_2016-3-5_23-38-40.png

--

Last edited:

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@njmr2fan . The black thing in @swatski's pic is the rubber zerk cover. Just remove it to expose the zerk fitting.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh for goodness sake. I feel like such an idiot. I saw that (mine actually has a dot in the center that makes it look like a zerk, but when I felt it it wouldn't move. I passed that cover over a few times..... oh I digress, I went out pryed it off put 6-7 light easy slow pumps and closed it up. Thanks everyone.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Another problem solved! So, nothing for which you should worry. You just added to our score of solved problems by one!

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Oh for goodness sake. I feel like such an idiot. I saw that (mine actually has a dot in the center that makes it look like a zerk, but when I felt it it wouldn't move. I passed that cover over a few times..... oh I digress, I went out pryed it off put 6-7 light easy slow pumps and closed it up. Thanks everyone.
It takes a village @njmr2fan. That's why we're here.

Rickala

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've developed a leak with the engine running.. Not terrible, but when I pull the drain plug, a gallon or two comes out with the boat tipped backwards... Bilge comes on more often. Wondering if it would be that bearing that's leaking, or something else... I did overpump it with grease...two years ago...

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Easy to see, just put the boat in the water, open the engine compartment and see if water is leaking near the bearing.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Unless you've had some traumatic event I wouldn't look at this first

Do you see water leaking in at that point?

I'd check
Scupper
Gabbord drain plug
Could be rub rail or even your back cleat
Also pull clean out tray to make sure all are clamps still ok

Maybe drop it in water tie it to dock for an hour and see how much is there

Rickala

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I thought if it was leaking it would leak into the bilge area.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
When mine leaked it leaked behind the engine near where it connected to the harmonic balancer. there were several other good options for water leaks mentioned by scottie in texas also.
I just reread the original post, It leaks with the engine running, the seals usually leak with the boat anchored if the water feels hot I would be checking the exhaust hoses and clamps first!!!!!

Last edited:

Rickala

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Okay I'm a little confused. I have an AR 230. Is that bearing housing in the engine compartment, or is it on the outside of the boat.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It is just behind the engine it connects to the vibration dampener and the end of the driveshaft goes in from the outside at the front of the intake tunnel. You have to pull the engine forward to replace it.

Rickala

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh,that sounds like a pain in the ass. There is no water leaking into the engine compartment.. It must be something else, thankfully. What is a realistic amount of time you can expect that bearing to last?