• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First time buying a new boat

joeyman15

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
PWC
Hello everyone,

I'm looking at the FSH190 and FSH210 trying to decide which one is for me. I stopped by a dealer and compared them side by side and I'm kinda leaning towards the 190 because of the desk up front. While there I was trying to get a ballpark figure of how much they are willing to deal. I didn't have very much luck as they just pulled up the website and quoted MSRP. I'm not ready to buy but I'd like to be prepared when I am. What kind % can I expect them to take off the boat? Are boat dealers like car dealers and have a decent amount of wiggle room? If anyone is willing to share how much they got off MSRP that would be helpful as well. I'm in Florida.

Thanks,
Joe

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you want to haggle, buy used. Yamaha dealers don't really deal. There are a few threads on hear that discuss this topic.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Agree. Minimal haggle on price of boat. What varies wildly is the extras that you can get. Those can be worth a few grand.

joeyman15

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
PWC
Like a trolling motor or GPS?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you want to save some money consider used. And the boat comes pre tested and pre broken in. It will possibly have some first scratches which cause so much heart ache to the owner when they occur.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Like a trolling motor or GPS?
no. Not one high priced items but a few cheaper ones. Like premium and/or travel cover, safety kit, 10 hours service, anchor kit, lines, bumpers, extended warranty...

joeyman15

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
PWC
If you want to save some money consider used. And the boat comes pre tested and pre broken in. It will possibly have some first scratches which cause so much heart ache to the owner when they occur.
I'd rather buy used, but I haven't seen very many for sell in my area. All the ones I've found are between 4-6 hours away and there aren't many that far away either.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@joeyman15 keep in mind too bud that you're looking at boats during the peak of "boating fever". I understand you're in FL but middle/late spring is when the masses start using/thinking about boats.

That being said it's hard to bargain for such a high demand item; simple "supply vs demand" allows them to sell at a higher price point with just enough minimal effort to out sell the nearest competition.

However.... this also means that other guys are looking at boats as well and may want to upgrade. This provides an excellent opportunity to purchase used. In addition, the used FSH will most likely come with a troller motor and GPS; items you mentioned above that you would like to have on your vessel.

In my personal experience in purchasing our boat we got an excellent deal by buying early in the year. March to be exact. By buying before the dealer even had to drag everything down to the boat show they offered 5k off their MSRP. Additionally I added into the deal for a USCG kit to be included, as well as all accessories that I wanted to purchase on day of delivery to be sold at cost plus 10%.

Just some food for thought. Best of luck on your search and eventual purchase. Enjoy and be safe out there!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There are much fewer boat transactions that auto, so the market behaves differently and is much smaller. If you want to save some real money, you may need to travel. A 500 mile radius on boating is similar to a 50 mile radius when car shopping. Such is the nature of the challenge.

joeyman15

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
PWC
In my personal experience in purchasing our boat we got an excellent deal by buying early in the year. March to be exact. By buying before the dealer even had to drag everything down to the boat show they offered 5k off their MSRP. Additionally I added into the deal for a USCG kit to be included, as well as all accessories that I wanted to purchase on day of delivery to be sold at cost plus 10%.

Just some food for thought. Best of luck on your search and eventual purchase. Enjoy and be safe out there!
I'm not in a rush to buy now so I'm ok waiting for the right deal. 5k off of MSRP is more than I expected was possible. Lots of good information on here, thanks guys.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
another option is buying last years model. I got mine 11K of MSRP. 2018 and a demo model. Used by Yamaha for pictures. Had 7 hours on her

joeyman15

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
PWC
another option is buying last years model. I got mine 11K of MSRP. 2018 and a demo model. Used by Yamaha for pictures. Had 7 hours on her
If I could get that deal I would buy it right now. I've thought about waiting for the 2020 model to come out grabbing a 2019. That might be the way to go if I can't find anything used.

Rich NW Jboater

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I got my 2016 for 6K off MSRP by buying it in June of 2017 and also the fact that this model is not popular in the Northwest.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I technically bought my 2018 210 FSH end of last year (after Labor Day) and got $5000 off MSRP. Didn’t pick it up until last month, but it was a really great deal. Also just an FYI, Jet Boat Pilot makes a table that lays down between the front seats of the 210, making a large platform. Best of both worlds, and what I plan for next year.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Yeah as others have been saying, this is the worst time to buy a boat unless money isn't an object and you don't care what you will pay. Best deal on a new boat is going to be model year left overs in the fall when they start ramping up the release of the next model years.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah as others have been saying, this is the worst time to buy a boat unless money isn't an object and you don't care what you will pay. Best deal on a new boat is going to be model year left overs in the fall when they start ramping up the release of the next model years.
Or just before the Yamaha dealers' meeting! which is usually in late August?

--

Todd Olm

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I bought my 2019 210 FSH during a boat show and got about $4500 off if I remember correctly. Dealers get kickbacks from Yamaha for boat show pricing/sales. Other than that, plan on paying sticker price if you buy new with Yamaha boats.

As for the front platform, I purchased a platform (from Jet Boat Pilot for around $900 - Yamaha 210 FSH Fishing Platform ) which sits between the front seat nicely. Added a seat post for a lean seat and it works perfectly. You then have the luxury of having a bow rider front for joy riding or pulling out the cushions, dropping in the platform and you're ready to rock for fishing. Also comes with a post, as TW Merema stated, which allows you to use one of the platforms as a table between the front seats. Best of both worlds with an extra 2' of boat length!

Attachments