• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

First Time Saltwater Preparations & Rusting Galvanized Trailer in Fresh Water???

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Remember the trailer is grounded to your vehicle with a strong supply of D C current being put directly into the salt water. Add a small zinc block at the back of the trailer to minimize the electrolysis while the trailer is sitting in the water and rinse the trailer after each use, also add ZINC to the pump and ride plate areas of the boat.

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
After 3 1/2 years, just seeing some rust power accumulating (small amounts but I'm super careful). Boats been doing nothing but hours and hours of fresh water boating and dunking with trailer, including several car washes at the self-serve. I use salt away when I did on into the ocean on the boat (but just soap and water ont eh trailer- next time I'll be more careful). "m going to use some of that rust away product I hear about from Walmart to run through the box channels, and I'm already using Black Rustoleum spray can (trailer is painted black) so its perfect to keep soaking around there. Even if I get 2-3 more years on the trailer- that's all I need. I will get an aluminum custom trailer at some point, as I do like to tow it allover the place. It will set me back $5k - but the boat itself is perfect and I wan to explore the entire western U.S. with it. Thanks for all of your input.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Painted trailer does have a limited life in salt if it's made of closed tubing. If it's made of i beam or c beam you have a chance, but you just can't rinse the inside of a closed painted trailer. They rust from the inside.

I hope everyone's experience is different, but this is my experience. Rinsing helps greatly to extend, but you can't correctly rinse the insides of the enclosed beams.