• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Floating canopy/pop-up shade 2.0

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Based on another thread from last year I made a second and third attempt at developing floats for pop-up canopies that I intend to use this Summer on camping trips. For context, we usually have gang planks/floating Mats anchored in the water close to shore along with our tubes, sups, etc. my older relatives don’t boat but I want to get them in or close to the water if possible. These shades should allow them to relax on the mats or tubes in the shade.

The float I developed/redeveloped is simple: 4” pvc pipe, a 4” cap, primer and adhesive. I also added a bungee cord to attach the top of the float to the pop-up frame as well as some pool noodle pieces at the bottom of each float (to keep the leg from cracking the cap) and some to act as a coller/gap filler at the top of each float. The bungee cord and pool noodle parts are optional.

The first pic is what I came up with last summer, they are also in The second pic for reference. Basically my first floats were too short, this time around I cut a 10’ pwc pipe into two 5k’ sections. The overall cost per set of four floats is About $25 (I.e., $10 for the pvc pipe, $8 for the caps and another $7 or so for the primer, adhesive, bungee cord and Poole noodle).
EB093995-A268-4629-92CF-C623E046E9F3.png
5D982322-2F11-40B1-A2E7-80E09E63995A.jpeg

Last edited:

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I have to say this is such an elegant, easy solution I’m quite jealous I didn’t come up with it. Kudos my friend, I don’t know if this is the first time it’s been done but it is the first time I’ve ever seen it!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Dixie Highway , thank you for the compliment but I can’t claim I came up with the idea, I just improved on it (I think/in theory). Here is a link to thread I stole it from. My current solution is a lot less expensive than the original and now I recall why a made the floats on my first version so short which apparently works well in a swimming pool but as I’ve found out not so well in a lake. Going with 5’ + floats should allow me to go with a much bigger pop up. I hope to be posting pics of it or them in action soon.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I got to try out the new floats and tables last weekend, well my guests did anyway, and all reports came back positive. Here a pic of the items in use. 1585691A-F2D6-45AA-AA79-1FF34F2E3758.jpeg

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I got to use the floats and tables again, probably for the last time this season. They worked perfectly, even with a larger pop up. In this pic the bottoms of the floats are only about 6” off the lake floor but they and the pop up are floating. Once again reviews were positive.
F26E9A21-DE0D-48F9-9DFA-129859DBD7ED.jpeg